Your Views on Shipping and Handling Costs

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It seems that Shipping and Handling cost is getting out of control. Many times much higher that the cost of the original product, even for shipping short distances. What is your take on this?

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think it is a racket for some shippers. They can't make me believe the shipping cost is the same across the continent and across the street. I try to steer clear of those merchants no matter how much I think I could use their product.:angry:

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I must admit I've been taken before. One instance that sticks with me is from several years ago when I bought some walleye rigs on eBay, four packs for under 2 bucks, and shipping was around 4 or 5 dollars. Of course, I didn't look at shipping before I bought and was disappointed when I realized it was too late. To top it off, they came in an envelope with a regular ol' stamp on it:angry:

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree with you, but the only way I see out of it is to avoid those that seem to overcharge for shipping. I know on ebay you really have to watch some folks; some will charge several dollars over the actual cost on items like cd's or dvd's; it only costs about $2.50 to $3.00 to ship them.
    That old adage.....Buyer Beware!:wink:

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i agree mickey shipping is getting outta hand at alot of places

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In my opinion,Some are making money any way they can. Shipping is as cheap using USPS in those boxes they have as any other method. Much cheaper than fed x or UPS at times. You can usually choose the shipping method if they are reputible.

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I agree Mickey. But, like with anything else, you can negotiate. even the shipping costs. I'm a tight wad, i'll negotiate even the shipping costs and get it. If I don't get something, them i just tell them I'll go else where. Trust me it can be done, especially on e-bay. Contact the seller before the sale and start the process. If they want to sell it bad enough, they'll budge. It's a buyers market right now, even with used stuff.

You can even negotiate with the bigger retailer stores. Call them, you will probably start off with a customer service rep. More then likely you won't get anything there, but ask for the superviser then start the negotiations. it works. most people are afraid to try it for fear of being looked like a tightwad.

This I can promise you, if you don't try, you will never get a better deal even on shipping.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think that too often we just accept shipping costs without thought until it's too late and shippers and sellers alike have come to depend on the consumer not thinking that far ahead. I agree with negotiation or just stop buying and they will begin to rethink their way of doing business. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

9. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well guys ive been shipping rod holders and akwalungs for a couple years now and from my experiance, i believe it could be cheaper! i always feel like im cheating my customers because i have to charge what UPS wants! i do use ups! reason being myself and my customer recieves a tracking #. ive had a few bad experiance by shipping USPS! believe it or not , there are folks out there that claim they never received there products, wether it is indeed the post offices fault or dishonest people , who knows! but it can get costly if you have to send it twice!

for me however i dont try to make money on the shipping! most of my customers shipping cost will be from 13.00 to 18.00 or more depending on the weight, and where its going! and i charge a flat 15.00! its justy easier when ppl ask about how much shipping is without knowing all the details.
    i loose on some and i win on some! but it seems to work out so far.

as far as my products i keep trhem as low as possible so my customers can still get a deal!

heres what i think is a rip off! i had to ship a small strainer for and akwalung the other day, the part is a whole 4.00's i shipped it in a ups evelope and it cost me 11.00 to ship it 150 miles. i raise a lil hell with the shipping place, and his explanation was, it was higher because it was being shipped to a residental address, if i was shipping to a business it would be cheaper!

anyways guys i am sorry and do feel bad when shipping cost are so high but rest assured i do not profit from shipping cost, and i do appriate the support i get from the BOC members that order from me!

steve douglas

10. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Steve I am sure like you there are many reputable dealers that eat some of the shipping like you do but I agree the cost is out of control but like everything else the shipping companys charge all they can get away with

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Steve, thanks for the view from the other side of the transaction. Appreciate all the comments; I sure didn't know you could negotiate with ebay sellers. Thanks, guys!

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i agree mickey shipping is getting outta hand I sell knives and other items and everything on my site is free shipping . I hate paying shipping unless its a great deal .

13. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I do a lot of my tool purchases on EBAY. The absolute first think I look at is the shipping amount. If I think it is too high and the shipper is making extra money with it I WILL NOT BUY IT. I keep looking at the next item in my search. I have heard about the negotiating with the stores. I was told that it would work. But have never tried it yet.

14. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    A lot of folks do overcharge for shipping and handling. I've been selling our used school books the last couple of months, and use media mail (because it's books). It's pretty reasonable. I've recently started selling crocheted baby items and am using the flat rate priority mail boxes. I've done a little research and that is the cheapest way I can ship and have my items arrive in good shape. Of course, I don't charge handling. :smile2:

15. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I guess it depends on your personality whether you are into dickering about the price of everything. I have friends who will dicker with everyone about everything, make far lower offers on stuff on garage sales and flea markets (or even brick and mortar stores), make stinks at customer service departments, ask to speak with managers at restaurants when they have a minor complaint (expecting compensation); they overall expect to be given special treatment or else they will walk away from the deal. I don't think that is cool at all. While that is good for them, it creates a situation for the rest of us where the price marked is higher, and without a confrontational personality most people just pay it. You can get a lot for yourself by being pushy with others (squeeky wheels get the grease), if that's the way you want to be. Customers are always right and the sellers will back down and bend over backwards for you a lot of the time, and then just charge the next guy more. Everything isn't a negotiation, a used car sale, where the sticker price is merely a suggestion for the beginning of the dickering process.

But the point of the thread was the high price of shipping. I agree that it is too high many times and I wonder how much money the person is gaining for themselves by charging $8 to ship a $12 item, and then the postage was $2, and I guess the rest of the fee went toward handling? Isn't handling a part of doing regular business? Why pass that incidental cost on to the consumer with inflated shipping (and handling) charges? Or is it because somebody called them and refused to pay the regular fee and so the overall fee was increased for everyone else? I figure in the cost of shipping when calculating the price of the item I want, which makes mail order or internet order not quite as good a deal sometimes as it first appears to be. I won't call customer service and demand that they negotiate on the item's price or lower shipping costs just for me or lose the sale though. I don't want a reputation for being a cheapskate as those friends of mine have, nor do I wish to change my personality to become more confrontational with others, squeek to get a little grease.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I disagree with most of these views. Seems to me the point of doing business is to make a profit. In a perfect world, if it only cost 1.75 through the post office to ship an item, and the seller only charges the 1.75, the seller is loosing. There are incidental costs also, like the cardboard box used to package the item, the twine it takes to make the item secure. the time it takes the seller to package the item, wether its drop it into an envelope or put it in a box with peanuts (which normally they have to pay for also). That being said, when I purchase on e-bay or amazon.com, I always look at the shipping. If it is more than I want to pay, I pass on the purchase. That's not stupidity or a big head on my part, but simply economics. You always pay exactly what you want to pay for an item, otherwise you would not have bought it. I forgot the expense of gasoline and the time taken to drive to the post office. There is a value placed on that also.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  17. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i agree lawrence, if i want to buy something online and it is cheaper including shipping than i can buy it locally then i got a deal. if not i'll buy it locally. i do live 15 miles out of town so i figure the expense of traveling to town to get something into my online shopping too. plus the convenience of having something delivered right to your door. i have ordered stuff that could be shipped in an envelope that arrived in a box that was oversized for the product shipped stuffed with crumpled up newspaper and wondered at this stupidity. CC is one of the worst at this.

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    ebay is my bigest gripe on shipping not all sellers but a big part of them charge $10 and up to ship a reel a abu is lighter than a penn reel and a penn reel will ship for $4 and a little change less than $5 thay are making a killing on shipping :angry: but yes if i realy want it i pay it but i do figgure the shipping in the deal if its a good deal even with high shipping i cant complain:wink: it bugs me more that thay think we are so dumb that we beleve it realy cost that much to ship things ok my gripe is over lol

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the reason ebay sellers charge high shipping is to make their money. if they raise the starting bid to get the money they want out of the item ebay charges them more to list the item, so they go around this added fee by adding the cost they want for the item to the shipping cost witch ebay doesent charge for. make more sence to yall now:wink: like lawerence said add up the costs of cost plus s&h if its higher than what you want to pay look else were. shipping itsself is sometimes high too esp ups :tounge_out: but when you guys use ups you help pay my paycheck :wink:

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hot Dang after all these years, I knew the day would come where I would disagree with you, Lawrence. I knew it, I knew it. :wink:

I believe all those incidental costs of doing business, should be a part of the selling price, not the shipping price.
    When you determine what price to sell something, one would think you would include the cost of doing business.