Your top five places to fish in California

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by sandgan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. sandgan

sandgan New Member

State:
    california
    whats your top five california catfish ponds or lakes in any oder?:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Here are my top five:
    #1. The California Delta
    #2. Is a tie between The Mendota Slough & The Colorado River in Blythe
    #3. Clear Lake (it's been awhile but it got my respect along time ago):wink:
    #4. Lake Chabot
    #5. San Pablo Reservoir

:0a23:

3. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    #1 California Delta
    #2 Clearlake
    #3 East Park Reservoir
    #4 Lisban Slough/Sutter bypass (although it has sucked lately)
    #5 Upper Sacramento River

These are all Nothern California spots. The SoCal lakes product bigger and better cats, but if your looking north, these are some good ones.
    Linz:cool2:

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Mendota Slough (Central Cal)
    Delta system (nor cal)
    Pinflatt lake (Central Cal)
    Eastmen Lake (Central Cal)
    Bass Ave (Central Cal)

5. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    Clear lake, Lake Berryessa, Delta, Mendota Slough "of course" and last but not least, the next new place I go.

6. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    Damn, where did my other post go? Anyway-Clear lake, Lake Berryessa, Delta-Sac river, Mendota Slough "of course", San Pablo Res, and the next new place I go to!!!:wink:

7. sandgan

sandgan New Member

State:
    california
    thanx wisherman those reccomendations will help out alot

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Santa Catalina Island, San Clemente Island, the Cortez Bank, Santa Rosa Island and The Huntington Flats.

9. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    1. Mendota Slough

2. James Rd

3. Delta(Now this covers Tracy, Stockton areas)

4. Sacramento River(I like the ports, kinda reminds me of the Mendota Slough in the middle of the city)

5. Lake Wishon (I fish trout there, but it is a beautiful place)

(I wish I could say ClearLake, it's on my radar)

10. Stockton CatMan

Stockton CatMan Member

State:
    CA
    It would be nice if someone would at the end summarize all of these entries and add maps to these areas and make it a general list of places to fish in CA:wink:

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Sac river-delta-san luis res/fore bay-clear lake-And all the canal's next to my house.

12. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    For big Blue cats, it would have to be the Southern California lakes. I've never caught a blue because they are not in my local waters, but they're on my wish list.

For lots of trophy Channel Cats, it's all about Clear Lake. I'm convinced that when I die and go to heaven, Clear Lake will be behind the pearly gates. I've been part of a triple header where the smallest channel cat was 17 pounds. I've landed 100 plus pounds of cats in a single night more times than should be legal. Heck, I had a single outing last year where my partner & I landed 365 pounds of channels with the average fish right at 6.40 pounds (57 fish released). And as great as that seems, it's really not a big accomplishment by Clear Lake standards. I have friends who have landed 20 fish over 18 pounds in a single trip. If you want the channel catfish of a lifetime, there is only one lake in California that has all the perfect elements to consistently sustain a huge population of channel cats. It's all about the amount of nutrients in this volcanic fed lake that allow massive populations of baitfish to thrive, which then sustains the rest of the food chain, even during winter. There are actually places on the lake where the surface water boils & gurgles in huge cauldrons because of the dormant volcano next to the lake. These surface commotions are enough to move your boat around. These deep underwater volcanic vents feed nutrients into the lake which feed life into everything in the water. It's a very mystical and special place.

So I guess I only have one pick for Northern California. . .

13. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Randy your right about clear lake it IS the perfect channel cat lake ,Afew weeks ago on pbs they where showing a episoide about clearlake and the under ground vent's and the way it substains the lake.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Pretty good poll going on here. Its about that time to get my pick in. By the title of my name you know I have to go with waters that have the blue catfish. The top of that list is San Vicente. They have plenty of big blues in there and they thrive very well. My biggest at 81 came from there. And I am sure when it reopens I stand a good chance at getting a 100 plus. I also caught massive dd average channels there before in the past getting 5 fish limit stringers at 70 pounds before for channels. They also have pig gills and you can average a big stringer of pig gills there once you get on them. Next choice is Lower Otay. They also have the big blues. My biggest from there is at 71 but I am sure I will break that mark there soon maybe getting into the 100'a as well. It is also an excellent panfish lake too for gills and crappie. Next is the Colorado river and its backwaters. Gotta love those flatheads and I have caught plenty from the low 30's to the low 40's there the last 4 years. Irvine lake is next as I have caught lots of 30-40 pound class blues there. The channel cat fishery there is excellent as well with me getting my biggest channel at 36 pounds years ago. They also have a hybrid strain of cats there from years ago of stocking. This is where my big game cat training came from in the mid 90's. Last on the list is Vail Lake. Its a private lake now only open to paying members but this lake is the jewel of so cal well before Diamond Valley lake. I grew up fishing this lake as a child and back then they were producing 70 pound class blues. The crappie fishing is second to none, The gills there is excellent even for the pig gills too. And eventhough I dont fish bass, the bass fishery there is so good you could be soaking crawlers and get 10 pound class bass at times. This is my foundation lake and all of us fisherman have that foundation water that is very special to us. If there was a number 6 I would definitely pick white sea bass fishing at Catalina and San Clemente. I love fishing for them too. And of course the yellowtail and tuna runs.

1. San Vicente
    2. Lower Otay
    3. Colorado River
    4. Irvine Lake
    5. Vail Lake.

15. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Man, I sure wish I had seen that episode.

DFG electroshocked part of the lake doing a fish survey many years back. One of the fish that floated up was a 60+ pound channel cat. That is world record material. . .

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    60 + pound channel is amazing. Let me get on one of those I got something for it. :smile2:

17. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    YEAH, I KNOW YOU GOT THAT MAC & CHEESE FOR EM.:wink:

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Stucco and Texture that Mac n Cheese:smile2: Some good chit:wink:

19. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Hey, what happened to everyone's 'Thanked' stats?

Everyone was reset:angry:

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey I just noticed it to. I had in the thousands:sad2: