Your thoughts on fillet knifes

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by missouri cat hunter, Apr 27, 2009.

1. missouri cat hunter

missouri cat hunter New Member

State:
    missouri
    wats youre guyses thoughts on fillet knifes do u prefer electric or not for me its non electric just because you have more of a control with wat youre doing ya if i have alot of fish electrics faster but you just dont have as much of control

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Electric is better for those of us less than skilled.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Oh, I mean because like you said, I got sooo many fish to clean.:wink:

4. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    i like elec. knives, but i sure can ruin a fillet quick.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like the elec knives for when I got a mess of lil blues or channels like 15 or 20 when me and the kidds go out sandbar fishen. I got a few good regular fillet knives. I keep em sharp like my skinnen knives with a dimond stone just below razor sharp. A good rule is to buy new blades for the elec knives every year if you dress a lot of fish and game a set goes thru 4 to 6 deer a year and about 200lbs of fish @ my house. I keep the old blades for dressen carp for cutbait for fishen and trot linen.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've always preferred using an electric, but since finding a new way to fillet catfish, I'm not as hard-core about it. The one thing you can't get around is that a sharp fillet knife will cut through the skin of a smaller cat much quicker than an electric.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Good thing I don't catch many "smaller" ones.

Sounded like I only caught bigger ones, without actually having said it, right?:wink:

8. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will use a electric knife on the ones up to 7lbs or so. The ribs get hard cut through on the bigger fish. I don't like burning up my knifes to much.

9. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    i use an electric knife for filleting catfis, but any other fish i use my normal fillet knife.:smile2:

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just a regular ol' fillet knife for me. I would almost be willing to race against someone with an electric knife. It's quick if you know what you are doing. I still skin the fish too. Just old fashioned, I guess. I did try an electric knife once, and didn't like it. I like to feel the bones as I'm cutting so I know I'm getting every bite of meat.

11. sigpros

sigpros Member

State:
    missouri
    I like to skin them first and then use a regular fillet knife. But I don't keep em over 3 or 4 pounds.