your thoughts on falling water

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by platinrock, Dec 11, 2009.

1. platinrock

platinrock New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre mo
    we all know that riseing water in the sommer makes for good fishing
    and falling aint so good
    but what about in the winter
    is falling water not so good or in your opinon does it matter
    looking at the st.louis gauge its going to drop pretty fast over the next few day.
    -----------------FS-FRI-SAT-SON-MON-TUE-WED
    ST. LOUIS------ 30-11.22-11.2-10.3-8.3-6.4-5.6

2. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    i wish i knew mark. I am still on my learning curve. This is my first winter fishing for cats. So far it has not gone to well for me. The water has been so high the last month that there is not much choice in fishing the level drop. I am going to go at at night here in the next couple days and try winter night fishing.....brrrrrrr

3. platinrock

platinrock New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre mo
    BRRRRRR is right :embarassed:

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard to the BOC Mark.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    In the winter I would rather heve stable water levels.

6. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    "thoughts on falling water "

When I read that,,My first thought was, its called RAIN,,:eek:oooh:
    No seriously,,:wink:

Where I fish, falling water means current and within reason current is good for fishing:wink: Look for eddy pockets, wing walls, anything that has slow water behind it there should be fish there waiting on a meal,,,
    Welcome top the BOC Brother,,,
    Puddle

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Falling water is always bad for fishing.

Imagine if you are sitting in your house and the ceiling slowly starts moving in closer to you. Pretty soon you are going to want to get the heck out, and once you decide it is time to leave you are not going to sit down and eat dinner!!!

:wink:

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Follow the water, if it is dropping fish deep, rising..... move to the shallows. That's the theory anyway but in reality, falling water usually isn't too good. Fishing will improve after it drops and stabilizes for a bit.

I haven't fished too much in the winter on the river and haven't done too good those times that I tried, but they will stack up somewhere in a deep hole. The conventional wisdom says to cover a lot of water and when you find them it can be hot fishing. I'm still looking for that big, cold-water payday!

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Winter is for working on the boat to prepare it for the torture session that is March - September :wink:. For me once the water drops below 60 it doesn't matter what it's doing I can't buy a fish.

As a general rule I don't like fishing the drop but I'm not going to not fish just because it's dropping. If a guy thinks of all the reasons he shouldn't fish pretty soon he's not getting out because the moon's not right, the river's not right, etc. Other than my rule about not winter fishing (and that's because I'm a sissy about the cold) I don't limit my fishing based on much other than lightning.

Good luck!

Branden

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    But if ya gota fish find a wintering hole and drop bait on their nose. You may or may not get a bite. They dont seem to move much high or low water here just stack up in the deep off current areas. The old comercial guys told me they used to sink big hoop netts in the deeper holes and the fish would fill em from carp to cats. I have found the wintering holes here from being told and finding em myself most seem to be 25 to 40 ft or better on the MO here in behind specific wing dikes. The most commen one known here is the big hourglass shaped hole where the Gasconade dumps into the MO. If I was goana riverfish I would rather jig for walleye and sauger.