Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Your thoughts on elk hunting attire?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jakel 
#1 ·
A retired Marine buddy of mine invited me on my first elk hunt. He took me out on a black bear hunt two years ago and while we didnt even see a bear the whole time, I still had a blast and learned alot! This year, he is planning to get out just before Thanksgiving and I am EXCITED!! I am planning to get things prepped in advance but I dont want to go dropping a bundle of cash on unnecessary stuff so close to Christmas time.

I have a few old style Marine cammies and of course a bunch of digital cammies...I was thinking of wearing the old style ones out there. My buddy has the ones that he purchased from Cabela's with the tree pattern...He says they are alot more comfortable. He says that I should be fine with my Marine Cammies but I dont want to screw up the hunt if they are actually not a good thing to wear out there?

#2 ·
I went a few years back and wore my air force bdu's woodland camo,had no probs.I think the newer patterns are even better(digital).As far as the hunt goes your gonna have a blast.Listening to them bugle is cool as hell,but when you got big boy coming your way bugling at you hard charging,thats a friggin adrenaline rush!Hope this helps,good luck to you and I hope you fill your tag.:smile:

#4 ·
For rifle hunting, any camo that breaks up your sillouette and blurrs the lines that identify you as a human or predator will work. It's easier accomplished with modern camo patterns, but always keep good cover behind you, don't make unnecessary movements, and you should be fine.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Not having to go out and purchase cammies will help me out quite a bit with the budget. Last time we were up in that area, we saw quite a few elk. We didnt have a tag though. We saw them and plenty of mule deer also...we saw just about everything that we didnt have tags for! I had a good time just the same and seeing bull elk in real life was pretty impressive to say the least!!

#8 ·
If rifle hunting,,Camo is not so critical..
Better to get an Excellent pair of Binoculars,,,Don't skimp on quality as they can be used the rest of your life!!

and, get a high capacity camelpack for water...
That is some excellent advice. I just went elk hunting for the first time last year, best investment I made was a pair of Leopold Acadias. This year, it'll be a great pair of boots. And some extra duct tape :handshake:

The Rocky Mountains are not forgiving!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.