Your thoughts: Best 60$ spinning reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by center12, Feb 21, 2006.

1. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Looking to add a spinning reel to my channel cat fishing arsenal and thought I'd ask the crew for their thought's.

The reel will be used on channel cats up to 15 pounds, will be spooled with 30# Power-pro and on a 7' Med action Cabela's IM-6 Graphite rod. A bait runner isn't required, but the reel needs to be smooth, have a moderate line capacity and be very durable. Fire at will folks. Thanks.

2. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can get some of the OKUMA reels for under $60 and you can also get some of the less expensive PENN reels for under $60 also that I believe will satisfy you. The OKUMAS you can get from CATFISH CONNECTION and the PENNS you can find at CABELAS. I hope this helps in your decision.

3. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Mitchell 300X Gold series, preferably the 330 or 302 models. Can't bet them!

Frank

4. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    AMAZON.COM HAS THE PENN CAPTIVA AND THE CAPTIVA LIVELINERS FOR THE LOWEST PRICES RIGHT NOW, AND I'VE LOOKED EVERYWHERE!!

CAPTIVA LIVELINER
    CLL6000 - $55.00
    CLL5000 - $51.99
    CLL4000 - $47.99

CAPTIVA
    CV6000 - $44.99
    CV5000 - $59.00(HAVE TO BUY THE Penn - Captiva CV5000 Reel Power Stick Spinning Combo, COULD NOT FIND REEL SOLD SEPERATELY)
    CV4000 - $36.99

THOUGHT THIS MIGHT HELP, GOOD LUCK!!!

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    You can not find a better spinning reel for the money than Shimano. I don't know if their lower priced ones come in a size as large as what you want though. The Soltace, Spirex, and Sedona reels run from $49-$59. Even their $15-20 reels are smooth, well balanced and last forever.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep, cant beat the shimanos for the price.

7. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

Okuma Avenger, about $35-40 without baitrunner.... $50-55 with it... i have three without the baitrunner and they are great.... with the baitrunner would be the perfect spinning reel for me for channel catfish.

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i recently posed the same question to a couple fisher folks that i trust and the general consensus was Shimano. I went ahead and got the Shimano sahara for $54. the sedona was $44 and the symetre was $74. the only difference between the sedona and sahara was the ratio. Mine has 6.2:1 and the sedona had 5:1.
    I've used it a couple times and love it...i have yet to catch anything sizeable on it, but reeling in the larger skipjack at tva cumberland this weekend was a breeze. I just powered them in like i was pulling in a large jig in a strong current if that makes sense.

cyas
    rc

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have to agree with Grumpy 100%. Try the "Tidewater/Freeliner" or "Baitrunner" - "you won't be sorry". :)
    :0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    One more vote for anything Shimano, best gears out there, imo.

11. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I really like the Mitchell open face with the electronic bait alerter. Its an awesome reel. It takes like watch batteries and the beeping is quite audible. Beyond that, its has flashing red led lights to further indicate which pole has a run. Its about perfect size for the fish you are after. I have mine on a 7' MH rod with 14lb test. The thing has never let me down. I wrote a pretty good review on it on the old board. Maybe I'll try to dig it up for you, if I can find it.

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thank you all for the input, much appreciated.

I ended up ordering 2 of the ProAngler Baitcasting reels instead of a spinning unit. The ProAnglers are the same size as a 6500 but have 4 stainless bearings, all gears are metal, an all metal loud clicker and a Titanium worm gear...........49$ each.

13. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Gotta agree with Grumpy myself,Shimano makes one heck of a reel!

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Bass Pro Shops has the CatMaxx CMX-60FA Spinning Reel Now on clearance $29.88 regular price $39.99.

Mitchell 300X Series Spinning Reels
    Regular price $34.99 - on sale now for $29.99

Quantum Catalyst PTi Spinning Reel
    On clearance now $59.88 regular $89.99

Super-efficient Ceramic Magnum Drag
    HotSauce¬ô permanent molecular lubrication
    Light, powerful ThinLin aluminum body with screwless aluminum side-plate
    Vacuum deposition finish
    MaxCas Longstroke aluminum spool
    Torque-free Continuous Anti-Revers II
    TRU-Balance offset rotor design
    Counterbalanced FootForwar configuration
    Oversized Twist-Reduce line roller
    FREE spare aluminum spool

Cabelas has these selections available

Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder ABF65 $54.99
    The Avenger Baitfeeder spinning reel features Okuma's patented Bait Feeding System which allows you to fish live bait in freespool mode. An adjustable microdrag increases and reduces tension to the bait to fit the application. The reel also has Quick-set anti-reverse that has a corrosion-resistant stainless steel roller bearing which engages the handle instantly and eliminates handle backplay. The reel retrieves smoothly thanks to six stainless steel ball bearings and the Okuma Even-Flow roller.

Abu Garcia Cardinal 500 ALB $54.99
    With instant anti-reverse, high-performance gearing and the Everlast bail spring system. Advanced oscillation, an AccuBalanced rotor, an oversized line roller and a multidisc drag, it has many more features than other reels in the same price range.

Penn Silverado SV6000 $39.99
    The new Silverado has a sleek profile and the smooth performance of a five-ball-bearing drive. Infinite anti-reverse ensures solid hooksets.

Good luck with your search.

15. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    not sure where i saw it exactly but a boc brother is selling rebuilt abu garcias for well under $60. i use the garcia 6000, and i think i paid just a little over $60 and havent had a problem with them. and from march thru october i fish 4 to 5 days a week, so there well used. sorry i forgot about the shakespear baitcaster i use just as much it is around $39 great reel for the price, it even has a bait clicker on it. oops i misread sorry didnt see you were looking for spinning reel.

16. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Just bought one of those BPS catmaxx for 29. Like it alot. Put it on a 12 ft surf rod to take below the dam. Have had it out once so far and it is very smooth.