Your Thermos

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    What brand and type of Thermos bottle do you own or like to own. Do you use it for multi-purpose? Hot, cold beverges or soups. Negatives .(Brands/Types to stay away from)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I have 2 Stanley thermoses that are always filled with coffee. During winter I sometimes fill one with home made chicken soup ; )

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Stay away from those cheap WalMart aluminum thermoses. Everything you put in them will taste like metal. Get yourself a glass-lined thermos and you'll be glad you did.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Only problem with those is that the break to easy. After about 5 of them I realized metal was my way to go, two of them broke just from boat rides, LOL.

Cant say I've ever tasted metal either ; )

5. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've had a few different types. The glass lined ones keep coffee hot longer, but the stanley types are more durable. I have one aluminum one that I bought at a truck stop that seems to work the best for me. My advice being... If you find a good one, hang on to it, because thermos' are a hit or miss deal.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a Stanly thats been to he!! and back. I didn't know there was any other brand:wink: I also bought one in Widemouth for soup,,didnt realize till I used it that it had a small ding on the top where the stopper seals,thus it leaks,but its still better than any other I have ever used.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Stanley thermos seem to work the best

8. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    In my opinion stanley stainless steel is the only way to go. Mine has had coffee in it most every day since 1982. (they are dated on the bottom) If for some reason I don't drink all the coffee, what is left from the day before will still be warm the next morning. It hasn't been babied either, I'm in construction and it is on the job getting dropped rolled around in the back of the truck, even ran over once. still works like new. I have worn out several lids and a stopper but the bottle is good to go. I think the solid stopper is way better than those pour thru.

larry

9. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    stanley they are tough i got one that has been run over by a D-5 dozer and it still works mashed up a little but it works as good as new and i have a soup jug also and a half gallon jug all stanley's

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jeeze,
    You should send that story to Stanley, they might send you a new one. A fella must have to try REALLY hard to get his thermos run over by a dozer:wink:

To paraphrase the world's most interesting man:
    "I don't always use a thermos, but when I do I prefer a Stanley stainless steel." .........."Stay thirsty my friends":big_smile:...W

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd had the same Stanley stainless steel for many years. Few years ago noticed we still had it. Gave it to son-in-law.

12. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I've got two Stanley thermos. Dad got me one in 1975 I still use. I bought a new one for the wife this year (She likes sugar and milk in her coffee) It is not as good as the old one, but is better than any other I have tried.

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Stanley!:wink:
    Durable and dependable. They are tough!!:cool2:

14. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Stanley for me to. I can't understand why you can get one today for
    the same price they were 20 years ago. 19.99 at walmart

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm with all of you, Stanley for me too. Larry(Mankind) gave me one of his earlier this year and I've not went fishing without it since. Gotta find a new lid for it, until then I just bring my own cup...:smile2:

16. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I use stanley but it doesnt keep coffee hot all day, but I have learned to steep my thermos before putting coffee in and it def stays hot longer! I ususally will boil a couple cups of water in the micro and pour it into the thermos first for about 10 minutes or so then dump the water out and pour the coffee in, it gets the insides of the thermos piping hot so your coffee doesnt expend the heat trying to heat up the metal and air.:wink: It will work for all types of thermoses (sp?)

17. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i'll have to dig it out from under the sink and take a pic of it and send it to them and see

18. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't like the pour-through lids either.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for bringing the value price up. They have not only been a great product worth using, and passing along, as Dayton mentioned, but have continued to hole the price down. I think that says alot for Stanley.

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    When I worked in a restuarant most of the farmers had stanley stainless steel thermos, kept stuff hot or cold all day, and got run over by tractors. They are tough.

I had a lot of cheap thermos, but I broke so many that I decided it was cheaper to get a good one. In the long run it has been, I've been using a stanley since 82 or 84, and it got hard use. I had to replace the stopper a couple times, its rusty and dinged up but I still use it. I got another one so I could have 2 full ones when I left on a long drive, and one went bad, wouldn't keep stuff hot. I sent it back with a letter explaining what was wrong, didn't realize it was lifetime warranty, no receipt, just sent it back for them to dispose of, I was kinda upset, Stanley sent me a new one, and its still in use too. I dont' know about any other, never needed to look for another brand or kind. I also have a 1 pt metal thermos I use sometimes when I'm hunting. I don't know what kind it is but I don't think as good as a stanley. It sure is nice to have a hot cup of coffee out there sometimes.