Your take on "best fishing line"

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Beaver, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Beaver

Beaver New Member

State:
    California
    I have been fishing with two Ambassador 5500s, both have 17 pound mono.
    I am wondering if the new very small diameter braded lines would work better.
    Any info you guys can share would be appreciated.
    I am wondering about line streatch and knot tying and how the stuff casts...

Thanks, HARRY

2. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    Hey I have two Abu Garcia 6000's and I use Spiderwire Stealth. I'm a big fan of fishing with braided lines with a mono leader of equal. The braided lines are a lot better than they use to be. They are rounded now so they are a lot smoother. They cast further and do not cut into the guides as bad if at all (i've never had a guide get a groove from the braid). A lot of BOC members would recommend Pro Power, but I recommend Spiderwire Stealth. The only thing is if you use a lighter line say 20 lb test. The diameter of the line is the same as 6lb mono, so you will need a lot of line to fill the spool. The advantage is you can go at a higher line strength. I can easily cast my 6000's 60 yards with no problem, so I do not think casting is effected by it being a braided line. Knot tying should not be a problem either. Just tie a Berkley Braided knots which was researched to be the best knot for braided lines or a Palomar knot. Here's a website to show you how to tie both knots
    http://home.cfl.rr.com/floridafishing/knot.htm . Hope I helped answer your questions. Sorry I rambled on haha.

3. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I tried some of the 65lb Spider Wire and was not too impressed with it. When casting with 3 oz weights, it would pull the string down into the spool quite often and backlash or just completely snap off. After the third time of the weight flying 200+ yards I decided it wasn't for me and cut it off. Maybe others have had a different experience but I wasn't too impressed. I'll save my money next time.

4. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I use strein high impact. Tried braid once, as a leader. Bad idea. My line kept breaking at the leader.

5. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    The thing I like about braided line is the castablity on strong line. This is great when fishing open water and you need a long cast. But be careful when fishing near structure. Braided lines are not the most abrasion resistant. In my opinion, a good mono of 30# test is much better than 60# braid near rocks. A semi-sharp rock will slice the line like butter.

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Give 80lb powerpro a try. It is the best braid I have ever used. I have it on many poles and use it every weekend throughout the year. Most of my poles have been spooled with powerpro line for over 4 years now without changeout. As far as abrasion resistance, I fish nothing but the best structure in the Ohio river and have NEVER had powerpro to break due to cuts.

7. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    How big is that fish in your av?

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will stick with my old reliable berkly biggame, it has never let me down.

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Oh yeah flathunter! I am with you on this one all the way. Monofilament is great, and I see no reason to switch. Big Game 30 pound is some good stuff.

10. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    id stick with mono iv always had good on stren

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    UNTIL LAST SATURDAY!!!!! :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well Mellon is right, I had 30-lb biggame snapped 3 times..It was not the lines fault, I had fish taking me into a big snag.

13. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have used:(for channels) on either Abu 5500's or 6500's, 6 & 1/2' or 7' Ugly Stiks, 3/8-1oz weight, cut bait.
    Berkley Big Game 15lb-too limp, prone to backlash
    Berkley Big Game 20lb-my favorite until... see below
    Berkely Big Game Supreme 15lb-yuck
    Berkley Big Game Supreme 20lb-yuck again, too stiff
    Stren Original Hi-Viz Gold 20lb-unbelievably stiff, couldn't wait to respool after one outing.
    PowerPro 50lb-can't stand the noise!!!! if you get a backlash....it might win. also very difficult to break off when you catch a snag, and be careful how you grab the line to pull out of a snag....ouch

MY PERSONAL FAVORITE, and has replaced Berkley BigGame 20lb for my purposes.
    P-Line CXX Fluorescent Greeen 20lb.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0018809317123a&navCount=0&cmCat=srchdx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx&CM_REF=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fproducts%2FCpod0018809.jsp
    This line is twice the price of Berkley, and you can't buy it at WalMart.
    Casts very nicely.
    Beautiful knots!
    Has less stretch than Berkley.
    I am so happy with it, I am sending pics and testimonial to P-Line customer swervice.
    Give it a try, if you don't like it use it for leader like everyone else does with the half spools of line they don't like.

14. Umba

Umba New Member

State:
    WI
    Good stuff.Worth the extra $

15. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    i've got an abu 6501 with 50 lb power pro, a mitchell full runner with 60lb power pro, two small schimanos with 15 lb power pro. no complaints except that it tangles easily in my abu 6501.

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i don't personally like using braided on baitcasting reels... Not because its not good stuff but if you get a backlash its almost impossible to get out with out doing alot of damage to the integrity of the line... The lines i use (except for my UL rod cause its not carried in 4lb test) is Berkley Big Game (BBG)... 12, 15 and 25lb test... only time i use 25 is on my tourny rods because i don't want any fish breaking the line and no fish will break that 25lb line unless its got teeth or is over 100 lbs or more(not highly likely in the rivers i fish but it'd be nice, plus im sure i'd be able to bring in a fish over 100 on in, just take a little time)... plus i'd like to get them in fast so they don't get too exhausted out there...the 12 and 15 are loaded on all my other rods and reels because i trust it... its not going to break easily and i can handle some fairly large fish on that line... plus its alot of fun for most fish...

17. pursuit

pursuit New Member

State:
    CA
    I'm used to using braid with mono topshot in all my reels from Spinning, round baitcasting, to conventional reel. It cuts the cost down when you change your line often like I do. It also affords me to fish bigger fish on lighter tackle and put a grip load of line on my reels when the fish decide to make that long run. My reels also gets new mono topshot after each trip where a "big one" was involved. It can be a little tricky to a first to cast with a baitcasting or conventional reel but don't worry about backlashes. Just apply a little more pressure to your spool if you're worried about backlashes. It can either be with your thumb or the spool knob. It's a trade-off in terms of abrasion resistance but the pay off is sensitivity. I'm mostly a sw angler and I wouldn't go Rockfishing, kelp fishing, or tuna fishing unless braid was on my reel. I've used my light SW reel with braid for catfishing and don't see any downside to it. BTW, I hate PowerPro. I find it a little to powdery and tends to cut your flesh a little more. I use Jerry Brown brand and it's the softest and in my opinion the best out there. Give it a shot and see if it's right for you.