Your Tackle Pack

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Mickey, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Describe your must carry tackle pack. For boat and bank. Be specific on details like sizes, colors and etc. Minnow types you prefer. (Silver or Rosie Reds) Lets try to help the beginner and improve the old timer with new ideas.

2. festus

festus New Member

Mickey, I use a Flambeau tackle bag similar to the one in the photo I attached. Got it at Gander Mtn. on sale a while back and saved over $20. Green in color, and I bank fish most of the time. When I go fishing for crappie, if they're not hitting and I run out of patience, I'll try to fish for another species.

So my tackle bag packs 6 plastic tackle boxes inside of it. One box is full of bass topwaters, crankbaits, spoons, and spinnerbaits. Another box if full of bass plastic worms, lizards, brush hogs, and other plastic baits, along with bullet sinkers, swivels, beads, and worm hooks. Another box if full of striper lures, plain leadheads and bucktail jigs from 1/2 oz up to 2 oz, with a few big topwater baits. Then I have another box with with catfish accessories. Another box with crappie and other panfish plastic grubs and tubes, jig heads and Aberdeen hooks, small sinkers, and floats. Then I have another box with small panfish crankbaits and topwaters, such as the Teeny Torpedo, 1-1/2" to 2-3/4" Rapalas, Tiny Traps, roostertails, spoons, etc.

In the left side pocket I carry a first aid kit with a spare set of $1.00 reading glasses. On the right side pocket I carry oversize floaters, tape, weighing scales, spray on fish attractant, etc.

In the front zip-up compartment/pocket of the bag, I keep my pliers, knives, line cutters, and other tools, similar to the photo. Sometimes I will stash another small tackle box inside of there if I plan on going for some other species, such as trout.

I'll admit, I have too many tackle boxes. Besides this, I have a big Over and Under Magnum tackle box for bass fishing only stocked with a little of everything. Then another smaller box stocked for light duty pond or stream fishing-bass and panfish only. I'd have to go back to the closet to see just exactly what else I have!! Oh yeah, I have another 2 tray Flambeau tackle box stocked for panfish only trips, and other good size Magnum 2-sided tackle box for stripers only.

For crappie minnows, I prefer medium size tuffies. Don't know what they call them up your way, but they are really just fathead minnows. We don't see the rosy reds anymore. Last week I caught 7 keeper crappie Monday, and 9 keepers on Tuesday. The min here is 10". I only had to turn 4 or 5 back. On windy days or current, I like to use the smallest egg shape plastic floater I can get. On calm water, I like pencil floaters. My go to lures for crappie would have to be a 2" chartreuse or pearl color curly tail grub. Red headed/white bodies tube jigs would run a close second. I carry a wide assortment of shapes and colors, along with tiny swimbaits.

3. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i carry tube and curl tail jigs in every color know to man!Because crappie seem to change the color they want 3-4 times a day.Also i carry roadrunners and beatle spins for a little flash when needed.jig heads are 1/64-1/4 oz depending on conditions(wind or depth).corks are all sizes from 1 inch to 3 inch.jigging spoons are a must have item for the fall and winter.i use 1/4 to 1/2 oz berrys spoons and some custom made that i paint myself.As far as minnows go 1 1/2 inch is just about right on a good sharp eagle claw gold hook.slow trolling the creek arms is the preferred tactic.just make sure with the graph there are bait present.If there is not any bait dont stop.:wink:

4. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I like those Roadrunners and Beetle spins, too.

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I carry a backpack with 3 compartments. The zippered front portion has spare change and loose sinkers , et al. The second compartment has my weights , circles , swivels , and leaders. The third and largest has my cat bobber , gloves , stringers , and snacks. I try to limit the amount of heavy items carried dependent upon terrain.

6. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I fish mostly minnow and bobbers so I don't have much crappie tackle. few hooks, split shots and some bobbers and stoppers. I have maybe 6-10 jigs that I sometimes use but really not that often. Seems I buy stuff like that most every year but wid up giving it to grandkids etc. everything is just tossed in a small plastic Wallmart tackle box

7. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I'm surprised that more of you have not commented on your tackle packs. I have paid close attention at the lake the last couple of weeks to what people was carrying with them. The crappie fisherman are carrying as much as the bass fisherman carrys. I also noted that some of the fisherman that was carrying light may several trips back to their cars.

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    mickey, like everyone else probably, i have spent untold amounts of money on crappie gear over the past 12 years that i have fished for them. i usually fish for one species at a time for several years at a time until i get sort of burned out and chase something else. right now i am chasing big blue cats but slowly getting the urge to get back to my crappie fishing again. i have narrowed my crappie tackle down to the bare essentials from 12 years of hard crappie fishing.

my gear consists of 4 B&M 11ft. graphite jig poles rigged with a reel that i found at grizzly jig company called a cyclone. it's a small baitcast type reel that fits the 11ft jig pole just right. i use 12lb original stren line exclusively because it stays limp in cold water. i fish heavy wood cover and the 12lb line saves losing lots of jigs. i keep one jig box which is the plastic boxes that have the adjustable compartments like you can buy at walmart. these boxes are about 9x14 inches. i use the baby bass assassins called panfish assassins in several colors and also the curly tail assassins when a bigger bait is in order. 1/16 oz unpainted jigheads work fine for me in our stained lakes here. i vertical jig standing timber and river edges in my home lakes usually 8 to 25 ft water. i fish one pole at a time but carry 4 to save time re-rigging if one breaks off. add to this a shallow 1/4 inch mesh minnow tank dipnet to scoop up my crappie when caught and a pair of needle nose pliers to remove stubborn jigs and you can see that i travel pretty light.

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I carry alot of stuff for crappie, too much I think sometimes. I can't leave without crappie nibbles, 1/32 oz jig heads, yum beavertails in all colors, slabbuster bodies, and thill bobbers and Aberdeen hooks. But, I do have a very large takle box just for crappie and there are alot more things that I use. But, this is what I mostly use

10. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    you know, i got a process that for some reason ive figured out in my head and still dont know how it works. firstly, i got a plano medium tacklebox, a certain spot for all my hooks, weights, jigs, and other little knicknacks. my basic have to have is, needlenose, knife, light, scale, and either rope, or just anything to keep my fish. anyway, i first got hardcore about 6months ago and started carryin, and buyin all this stuff. i was makin two or three trips to the boat. now, i got more of what i actually need, and somehow, whittled it down to one trip. i say, the less you have to carry, the better. when you carry all that junk to your jon boat, it becomes a chore to get ready instead of an enjoyment. my advice to the new guys is, if you dont have a boat you just keep everything in, travel light with exactly what you need.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I haven't crappie fished in years but plan on trying it again this year. Great thread.
    I figure on using the same gear that I use for Walleye for the most part with the addition of some small jigs and curly tails.

12. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    My go to lures for crappie would have to be a 2" chartreuse or pearl color curly tail grub. Red headed/white bodies tube jigs would run a close second. I carry a wide assortment of shapes and colors, along with tiny swimbaits.[/QUOTE]

I know that the color of the water/skies determines the color of tubes the fish will hit. Normally in the fall I have found purple to be a part of the answer but this year is different. The color of choice is pink or a combination of it. The southern pro color of Blk/Pink/Pearl has been the answer. Have any of you found the situation changed from years past?

13. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Great post Mickey! We use a backpack filled with Plano sidekicks which are see through to find whats needed, jighooks, weights / snaps.... a seperate pack holds our floats and minnow hooks. We like this for bank fishing since you can grab it up and move to other spots quickly. Dont laugh guy's but my jig pouch is a clear sided snap top vinyl makeup case! Holds those new ziploc jig bags really well.:crazy:

14. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I carry a Ugly Stick bag I got on a send in your reciept and get free. I jus carry Petes Ultimate Tackle Kit, I got from him a couple months ago. Pete/Wild Wolf Products. That kit has everything I need from sickle hooks, Charlie Brown Octopus hooks, It even has some big khales 10/0 I believe. Then there are a variety of no roll sinkers. I also carry a couple of Fat Kat Bobbers, never leave home without em, lol. Fish scales, digital camera, pack of crappie hooks to catch perch as needed, tube of glow sticks, electrical tape, extra batteries for camera and visor light, thats all I can think of right now. Oh ya I carry a first aid kit in the truck. If I run out of any items, I jus restock kit when I get home.

15. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Three compartmented 7x11 inch units with adjustable seperators in a duffel.

1- for all the bait rigging.
    slip bobbers
    bobber stops
    splitshot
    long shanked cricket hooks in 6-4-2's
    some pointed slip sinkers for deep rigs ,tight lines
    and a few beads.

2- Jig heads in Ball type and tube lure style.
    Mini spinners / beetle spin type.
    white and chartruce roostertails
    a few small jointed rapalas.. mini's

3 - Lots of grubs, curly tails , and tube bodies in a variety of colors and sizes. White / red , and day glow colors dominate, Like the browns and oranges for rip rap and chartruce for those stained water times.

ron

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009