Your success with pre-frozen cut shad

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ravensmavsfan, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I caught a 13" shad on accident by snaging it a few days ago at a small river. So i froze it, and a couple minutes ago, sliced it up into about 8 good sized cut baits.

Have you ever fished previously frozen shad? If so please share your success.
    Thanks.

I figured i'd keep them frozen (cooler) until i casted one in the lake tommorow night, and let the fluids melt out in the water, instead of my tackle box.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've had luck with them. Just keep them frozen and cut them up. They stay together better when they are mostly frozen.

3. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I vaccum seal mine and they work good.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dont cut them up till you are ready to use them, they will lose blood and oils which attract the catfish.

5. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I freeze a bunch of small ones together in some water in zip lock back.

Keep them very cold until you use them. I like to use them 4-6" long whole. I poke them them good through with my knife and scale them. My best luck is hanging them under a bobber. The two channels I have entered in the Summer Smash so far were both caught this way early in the morning.
    I change them out often as they go soft fast and seem to get washed out and picked apart by small fish pretty quick.

Cat will inhale them though!!

:lol:

6. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have caught fish on pre frozen shad on my jugs that sit out 12-24 hours but never had any luck on r/r

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have had lots of luck with them! The bait stores have a hard time keeping up with demand around here and a little baggy full is almost 5 bucks!

8. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I've never tried it, but I hope it works cause I got 3 gallons of them in the freezer...:roll_eyes:

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I only use my frozen shad to mix in with the chum mix I make. I always fish with fresh fish that I catch right before I go fishing.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I do not have a vacuum sealer, just freeze them in one gallon bags. They have worked ok, but of course fresh always works better. The frozen shad just start fallen apart after they thaw.

11. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Nothing is ever as good as fresh, but frozen shad is better than the store bought packaged junk. They do get mushy after thawing and will not last if you cast and retrieve alot. You have to cast and leave it alone. Also, I have found that they do not stay on the hook after a failed strike.

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    The first two tourny's in MD ACATS history were won on frozen shad... First one weighed in 4 fish (5 fish limit but they lost one between pulling them in and then weigh in, caught over 15 that day) at a weight of around 95 lbs... Second one is so insignificant that the # and weights don't matter (just say horrible day for a tourny catching wise) but the biggest fish was caught on frozen shad... from the same bunch as the first tourny (not same exact shad but caught the same day and frozen at the same time...) If you can't get it fresh use what you can...

I try to freeze any extra i have from a day of fishing... If it works it works...