Your Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What are your pros and cons on glass rods compared to graphite rods...which do you prefer and for what reasons when it comes to your everyday catfishing.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just a short answer. Glass rods are more stronger and will take a lot of abuse. The graphite rods are more sensitive and lighter. You will have to decide :wink: which you prefer.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure about glass rods, but I do use graphite rods and they work good for me.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A good E glass rod is worth the money. I've gone to Ugly Stick Ugly Cat and Bigwater 1120's on my baitcasters. They are a composite rod, a bit on the heavy side, but the get the job done. With graphite, there are several variations of material. The higher the modulus (graphite content) the better sensitivity of the rod, but the more brittle the rod blank. For lure fishing, especially with plastics and jigs, that sensitivity is great, especially for feeling the bottom as the lure bounces along and feeling light pickups. In catfishing, the extra sensitivity is nice, but not as needed except in a few ways of fishing.

5. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Composite or e-glass for me everytime. I've seen WAY too many all carbon rods explode under load, especially when a big cat dives under a boat. Plus carbon is prone to impact damage from heavy contacts with rocks and boat edges...I'm a bit clumsy with tackle at times! LOL The kevlar wrapped models are better but really expensive and I can't see any advantage.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    depends on your local fish. Here, I dont have alot of giants just channels and bullheads, so I just grab a rod. I have 3 graphite rods and one, my big rod, is glass. I look at the action and price when I shop for a rod, nothing fancy.

7. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I prefer glass rods as they are more durable and in my oppinion more trustworthy, I have lost a couple big ones from graphite rods breaking under pressure.

obviously it depends what you are fishing for, but I look at how stiff a rod is. I have both, but my glass rods are stiffer!

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I go with the E-glass rods as well. I don't want to have to baby them along on evey trip to keep them from getting scratched, and they will get scratched be lieve me!!!Graphite rods are nice but have no place in my catfishing arsinal. Not durable enough!!!

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think the graphite rods are designed more for angles who need sensitivity to detect subtle bites. Glass rods are for power, and for me at least, that is what I need. I know when a catfish bites. I don't need sensitivity. I want some backbone when I need it for the bigger fish that pop up among the smaller ones. The price is also a consideration when on a budget.

10. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I, too, have snapped a couple of graphite rods on big blues. I may have somehow damaged them in the past and never knew it, but I changed to Ugly Stiks and use them often and hard, and have yet to break a single one, even when I caught one in the ceiling fan (lol now, but not at the time!).