Your Opinions

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by hct236, Apr 6, 2009.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    We have a local lake that the state stocks with channel cats during winter,and only during the winter, however there is seldom any caught in spring and summer. While trout fishing at this lake the other day I saw many of the freshly stocked channel cats caught by trout fishermen on power bait and many were carried home on stringers. I dont have a problem with that, but since the channels are stocked during winter and caught out before the spawn, do you think that maybe it should be catch and release on the channel cats until after the spawn so that a decent population could be established?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Does the lake get warm enough for them to spawn? There probably some that don't get caught. Try dip bait or cut bait in the spring. You might get a big one if they have stocked it for several years.
    Welcome to the BOC.

3. jordan93mac

jordan93mac New Member

State:
    IL.
    Yea because your never going to get a good population of channels cats in there, never used powerbait to catch channel but it sounds like it works.

4. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    First welcome to the BOC. I don't know your lake, but, surely they are not catching all the channels out of there. I have a very small lake(or large pond) near my house where I catch my bait, fished it for years and never caught anything worthwhile, but, little bullheads are still fish. Last year, I went with one rod, a few shad and just went to enjoy the evening, BAM, 12 pound channel, must of been a fluke I thought. A week later I landed a 7 pounder in my cast net, go figue, since then I have heard alot of folks catching fish, sometimes. Anyway, there are probably fish in there breeding if there is enough space, after the shad hatch, well they don't really need your bait, do they:wink:. I would contact fish and game and ask them if they net and/or shock samples ever and if they know what kind of population exists. The moral to my story is, just because you don't cat em, don't mean they aren't there. Good luck.

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am not a biologist but I have always been told that catfish eggs
    are lighter than water so they float to the top and the sun kills them
    thats the reason catfish bed in hollow logs and holes in the banks,
    and under large rocks. Their eggs float to the top of the hole and
    stay there until they hatch. I know people that put concrete drain
    tiles and short pieces cast iron pipe in their ponds so catfish can raise.
    I wonder to if the lake you have with a trout population is not to
    cold for catfish. Like I said I am no biologist this is just an old
    catmans opinion.

6. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia

Its a warm lake and the trout are stocked in there too. We do catch a few cats here and there but just not very many. They have been stocking the cats for several years now. A few do spawn cause sometimes we catch them less than a pound. I was just thinking if we gave a few more an opportunity to spawn we may have a some more.

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Howard welcome to the BOC. Maybe enough of the cats can get by
    the keep all they can guys and in time you get a good population
    of cats.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think with the heavy fishing that they probably wont get to terribly big,i imagine they get fished out of there fairly quick.Theres a place i sometimes fish and when they stock it,as there putting them in people are hauling them right back out,not much sport in that i dont think.This place has to be stocked several times a year because of the heavy fishing,sad i think.

9. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Those fish are probably stocked by the state for recreational fisherman to catch anyway, and I would probably say that they are not stocked for breeding. :eek:oooh:Also those places are places I would tend not to fish anyway, I'm not much for crowds.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Howard Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

11. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i would have to agree about stayin away from that kind of thing. i mean you know you dont catch very many or any sizable cats i dont like to fish a place with a lot of fisherman or public access places. most ocassional anglers dont follow the rules and regs of the state or lakes. and google maps are great for finding new waters to fish. dont know if this helps but i hope so

12. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I know it takes some special charateristics for a lake to be a self sustainable catfish lake Lake Clinton IL is one it has miles of riprap and lots of current and a warm water ditch.