Your opinions on eating fish from Indiana waters

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by gone_fishin, Jun 8, 2006.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I've been wondering about other people's opinions about eating fish out Indiana waters, for example the Wabash and Mississinewa. I also want to know what fish you would keep and what fish you wouldn't if you were to eat the fish. I haven't been keeping any fish lately because of what might be in the waters. So lets hear your opinions....

2. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    i heard they did a survey on some of the rivers in Indiana and they said the fish were fine to eat. I dont keep my fish tho

3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    Yeah the fish consumption advisory but lets just throw that out the window for now. I want to hear people's personal opinions.

4. D-NICE-OK

D-NICE-OK New Member

State:
    INDY
    I used too back in my teenager years. Now I usually throw them back unless I know someone who wants them.

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i will eatcatfish from farm ponds, and lakes, but (i dont know which river it is but i think its the wabash), when it goes through portland it is nasty!!!! i wouldnt eat anything from there, but i dont know about other rivers cause i never fish them

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Did any of you guys see the article in last night's Indianapolis Star about the fish advisory only being available online? The gist of it was that those who need to see it, the poor and minorities who eat most of what they catch do not now have access to the advisory.
    They interviewed a 75 year old guy who has been catching and selling fish for years who said he had never seen or heard of a thing called a fish consumption advisory. That is either a huge lie or he must get beamed down from the mother ship directly to the river bank.
    Someone from the DNR who publish the Indiana fishing guide pretty much admitted that they downplay the amount of and effects from contaminated fish so as not to scare people away from going fishing. Got to keep those license fees coming in, never mind the consequences of ingesting those contaminants...W

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    baitfish:Thats pretty sad that a lot of people don't know.
    It's something every fisherman should know[/QUOTE]

i couldnt agree more jim!

i had a thread like this started a while back brother(check archives). myself i only keep small flatheads of 6#s and under. we dont eat them all the time either. most go into the small fish fries i have a few times a year and in the smoker. i also give them to family and friends if they ask real nice.lol i take alot of time cleaning the red meat off the fillets also! i make sure to tell everyone what they are eating and where it came from too,so they can make there own judgments.

i am working on getting some indepth reports on this subject and will pass on anything i can get my hands on to enlighten my fellow indiana fishermen. i would appriciate you all doing the same.

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I keep the walleye I catch from the Wabash but I wasn't aware of the "you can eat as many cats as you want if they're under 19in." I might keep a few next time I catch some and see how they taste.

9. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i eat flathead out of the wabash quite a bit. in my opinion mcdonalds will kill you faster than any fish from the river. people complain about pcb's and mercury, but mercury is in everything and pcb's havn't been dumped for almost 30 years, which doesn't mean they arn't there. but just think about whats in the oil fast food french fries are fried in, all hydroginated oils which are known to cause cancer, and the high fructose corn syrup in pop, which is not proven but blamed for the increase in diabetics today. there is no avoiding foods which cause harm to your body. even wild game has low levels of herbicides and insecticides in it. or the chicken you buy from the store has been so loaded with growth hormones to get more meat per chicken.
    don't get me wrong, i wont feed my 2 year old fried flathead. just remmember to cut out ALL evidence of red meat and cook the stuff thouroughly.

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I save most the fish I catch for my yearly fish fry. I will have 2 or 3 meals during the summer with what I don't save. I have not ate any cats over 22". Lake Shafer and Freeman have alot of farm fields run off. I feel quite safe eating fish out of these 2 lakes.
    Bill

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    That was pretty informative thank you.

12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
  13. phatkat

phatkat New Member

State:
    central indiana
    I eat fish out of the lakes alot. I eat fish out of the wabash not as much and they taste great and I found this contact Indiana Department of HealthEnvironmental Epidemiolagy 2n. Meridian St. section5D Indianapolis, In 46204 {317-233-1325 or 7162]

14. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    I keep a few channel cats every now and then, and I'm still around to say they were pretty tasty. I wouldn't worry about eating them unless your eating them everyday.

15. Welk49

Welk49 New Member

State:
    Northern Indiana
    I usually keep any cats I catch and eat. I wont keep it though if I still have some at home in the freezer, I throw it back. I fish mostly the St. Joe River, and have never had any problems from eating the fish out of there.

16. Whiterivercatslayer

Whiterivercatslayer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I eat alot of my catches from the white below INDY which I have heard has some pretty heavy dumping in the past 10 years..but i'm still alive..haven't fished the wabash that much so I couldn't tell you about that...