The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 14 foot alumacraft 67 inches wide. v bottom 15hp merc (longshaft)

It has three alum. bench seats.

It is the most stable v bottom iv ever been in.

but it dosnt have a livewell. Im trying to decide if it is worth messing with.

I want to be able to fish shallow. but at the same time i want to be able to

go on bigger lakes that have rough water.. I plan on fishing tournaments in

the future. Can i add a live well? how could i do this?

Is this going to be a good fishing boat? Mabye i am exspecting to much

from my 2500 dollar investment. I need adavice from people who no..

thanks,,brad

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
brad the best ways of adding a live well is 1 use a big old cooler and put a bubbler in it . 2 you can use either a plastic or aluminum tool box of your size you want and put an aerator in it and plumb it for water. or you could look into buying one that is made for your boat. i,d bet the first 2 are cheaper. sounds like a decent boat and should work good for you

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nothing against bank fishing but it has its limits. If this boat can get you out in the water as is safe it is a great investment. I would look for a jet out board if you want to run skinny. Props are nice for the power and speed but don't do much for you in 2-4" of water... As everyone is experiencing right now the water is low and tough.

Good luck I hope the new boat works out for ya!!!

Reactions: Brackish*Water

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Sounds like a nice boat! If you want to fish shallow, the jet prop is the way to go.

I don't know what type of tournaments you intend on fishing, but keep in mind that if you fish the Ohio, or any big river tourneys, it takes one heck of a big live well to keep big fish alive. Most tourney guys I know use at least 100 gallon wells, that's over 700lbs worth of water.

I bought my Tracker tx17 from a fellow BOC member, he sold it because it wouldn't hold a big enough live well. If you are serious about tourney fishing, you may want a larger vessel.

Brian's idea above about using a big cooler is the easy way for sure! They make 12v pumps that operate off of your boats battery. The bad thing about coolers is the lack of fresh water circulation. Adding a bit of kosher salt and a little powdered coffee creamer will help keep ammonia levels down and help the fish maintain their slime layer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
thanks eric. you might have to have an extra battery for running more pumps and such bit the trade off is better. you can get pumps to help circulate the water and keep it cooler. and you can always put stay alive in the water to help we do. in jay,s boat it,s got a center mounted live well it anything over 20lbs it,s useless it,s thin and semi long but it,s not made for monsters. we do a tourny between friends when we go we usually have 2 boats out together and anything of size we just take pics of and collect the money after that. i wish other tournys were like that it would reduce the stress on the fish drasticly and get them back into their natural waters quicker. at least with my 2 ideas you can also use a cooler to hold the bait and another to hold the catch. and they arent very heavy and can be taken out pretty quickly if you need more room.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for all of the advice. I think im gonna go with mounting,a big cooler in it.

if i get into big tournaments. ill prob. upgrade But for now i am just wanting something,

to keep channels and bluegill n crappie alive.

Going to eagle creek wedns. wish me luck. anybody know any good spots/ to try??

I sure though this 15 hp merc would move this boat faster than it does.. I cant even get it to get up on plane... Is this normal??

·
Registered
459 Posts
Careful throwing any big flathead in with your bait... I had 6lb fish eat a couple of 'gills while I was fishing. I guess the one he took off my hook wasn't enough. I don't mind since he was put back at the end of the day and I know he was feed well!!!

I would image if you put a 10 ro 20lb fish in with your bait, and he is hungry, you may be fishing for more bait rather then fishing for cats.

Anyway, Good Luck with your new adventures...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a very similar boat setup. What I use as a catfish live well is a carp weigh sling! I know it sounds a little weird but it works great. I fish mostly for channel cats and flatheads but this weigh sling works great. I keep it rolled up and stored on the boat until I need it. When I catch a fish I want to keep I pull it out, put the fish in it, tie it off to the boat and throw it in the water. All of my fish are very lively at weigh-ins. Even gut hooked or injured fish survive very well. The only downside is I have to bring it in the boat when I move to my next fishing spot. I tried the cooler live well and that takes up a lot of room in the boat. Also you have to worry about circulating water, kind of a pain. I will say if you plan on keeping 50-60 lb fish, the weigh sling isn't the best option. As for a bait livewell. I use a 5 gallon bucket with bubbler lid I found on Amazon. I can keep 20-30 bait sized bluegill (4-6") in it for a couple of days. I will change the water once or twice. I know this setup won't work for everyone but it works great for me and my smaller boat. Good luck with setting up your boat!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a very similar boat setup. What I use as a catfish live well is a carp weigh sling! I know it sounds a little weird but it works great. I fish mostly for channel cats and flatheads but this weigh sling works great. I keep it rolled up and stored on the boat until I need it. When I catch a fish I want to keep I pull it out, put the fish in it, tie it off to the boat and throw it in the water. All of my fish are very lively at weigh-ins. Even gut hooked or injured fish survive very well. The only downside is I have to bring it in the boat when I move to my next fishing spot. I tried the cooler live well and that takes up a lot of room in the boat. Also you have to worry about circulating water, kind of a pain. I will say if you plan on keeping 50-60 lb fish, the weigh sling isn't the best option. As for a bait livewell. I use a 5 gallon bucket with bubbler lid I found on Amazon. I can keep 20-30 bait sized bluegill (4-6") in it for a couple of days. I will change the water once or twice. I know this setup won't work for everyone but it works great for me and my smaller boat. Good luck with setting up your boat!
I’m sure he’s got it figured out already. He’s had 11 years...Probably has a different boat by now too as a 14’ sounds like a starter boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts