Your One Little Secret (Help some of the less Fortunate)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Branj796, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Everyone has his or her little secret that they think or know makes them a successful catfisherman. Whether it is the rig you use, your spot, your speed, your secret bait, how you present your bait, or whatever else you feel gives you an advantage. I want to start by sharing mine and hopefully some of you share yours. I prefer to drift fish and the way I present my bait in my opinion gives me an advantage over others I fish with/against. I use a carolina rig with a float which I think gives me an advantage over some but this is common knowledge. What gives me an advantage is the way I cut and put my bait on the hook. First I slice a thin piece of one side of the shad making a little flappy fillet, then I cut out the gut pocket, cutting off as much unnecesarry meat as possible. I do this because I want the scent but I also do not want to cram the bend of my hook with bait. I put the gut pocket on first and then I put the little flapper on the hook with most hanging off. Hook it twice so it does not come back over the point. This gives my bait tons of action. I have sat next to chunkers and always outfish them. I even test it from one pole to another. I never outfish this bait preperation. Well this is my little secret. Some of you may use this and say well that is no secret but to some it is. So if you have a better one share it and help some of the others increase there chances of catching more and bigger fish.

2. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    check out the bank fishing thread titled Bank Fishing Secrets and how less fortunate do ya think you are look at the fish you are holding and look at mine

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This item has saved the day for me a few times. I take a live gill and inject from the rear just under the dorsal fin a small amount of Dead Red Blood Spray. As the fish swims in its normal manner the spray is slowly leaked out and forms a sent trail. Maybe this will work for you.

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I dont know if its a secret but I like to use a Kat Bobber late spring through the early Fall. I suspend a Black Perch 3' down and a 20z sinker to keep it down. I generally dont throw out more than 10' from bank. Im looking for the cruisers near the bank. This style proved to be deadly this year for Channels, Blues, and some Flatheads. All fish caught was after sunset.

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Havn't you seen Kung Fu Panda yet? If you had you would realize that the secret is ,is that there is no secret! just hard work and dedication!

6. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with the hard work and dedication but some do outfish others on a regular basis and their secrets are why. Man that injecting of the blood spray I never thought of such a thing. By the way I did not mean I was less fortunate. Some of you have definately caught fish that put mine to shame. Compared to some I am. Another secret of mine that I will share is distance from the boat. The farther away from the boat I fish the more bites I get. SOmetimes this method screws me. Too much line out can be a hooking nightmare but when they are bitin good it works most of the time. Switch it up. This is the majority of the time but some days they want it right behind the boat. Otheres they want it suspended. Try Different Things!

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    For cut bait guys,,Might sound simple, but keep fresh bait on you line,,, not fresh caught but what ever you are using, frozen or caught that day change it out regularly, I dont keep a bait in the water for more than about 20 min, if no bite I put fresh piece on the line,,, I feel that a bait puts more scent in this time so the cat's can find it better...:wink:
    Puddle

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Study your lake, read reports from past years, and learn your lakes catfish patterns. You need to know what fish do at certain water temps because water temps are the trigger for what fish are doing all year round.

Learn what bait is in there and learn the patterns..if you don't know what the bait is doing, you prolly don't know enough yet to stay on cats....it's all about the food.

-Jim-

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Joe I know plenty of people who fish off a boat and cant catch jack either. If you want to be more successful off the bank you have to spend a lot of time out there. I bank fish mostly and sometimes spend up to 40 hours a week out there. Just keep in mind it took me years to get where I'm at.

If ya click on my albums and threads you can see what bank fishing can do with very hard work...and I'm getting better every year.

My thread:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917

Hang in there,,,you will get them.
    -Jim-

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Time on the water, learning a 20 miles streach of MO river like my back yard, fishing dif cutbaits like carp mooneye and shad at the same time with live baits , not afraid to use big balls or worms during spring river rises- around inflows, always get some live baits to toss out like gills, chubs, live shad, 12 inch mooneyes :wink:, fish the areas trotliners dare not fish for snagg city, find good holes with hard sand bottoms, Most importent think outside box and try new things like drifting with a monster bobber and 1lb carp set 20 ft deep in a 24 ft deep eddy.

11. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Doubt seriously it is a secret per say. I look at the water. I mean really look at it. Look at the swirls the rushes the critters around the water edge. I look for calm places in a river to throw out since of course I am a banker. I watch the birds around the edge of the AR river cause I figure they are wanting lunch and normally where lunch for the birds are there is lunch for catfish. I look at the rocks beside the bank and the debree along it. I watch for the sun to get near afternoon and always come in a bit closer. Way I figure it is that catfish like a bit of a easy fast bug dinner and the grasshoppers and such hang out along the bank towards dark. Just that kind of normal stuff

12. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    i think you said a lot when you stated that you don't want too much bait on the bend of you hook. It won't make you get more bites, just makes you hook more of what bites. Hook your live bait through the thinnest pasrt of the tail behind the dorsal fin.

J

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Here in South FL., I look for areas that are congregated heavily with Alligators. IMO they are not hanging around where there isn't any food:roll_eyes:.
    I guess it is similar to the birds feeding.

You can fish directly beneath them w/o a problem but don't let them see ONE bobber.........'cause you're fixin' to get spooled:crazy: