Your Job

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Leakyboat, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Are you have with the job,you have?What are the good and bad of it?

Myself,i am happy with my job.The good would be,i have 25 days of vacation,the bad would be,we work alot of overtime,they might come up to ya 5 mins before quitting time on Friday,and tell you ,we are working on Saturday.
    Ernie

2. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I am an electrician and I am pleased with my job. Now don't get me wrong, there are bad days here and there but every job has bad days. Now given, I could get payed a little more than I do but I have learned to appreciate the additional benefits I get. For example, I had knee sugery a couple of months ago. I haven't had to pay a cent for any of it. It a matter of a couple months, my health insurance has saved me thousands of dollars. Also, I have an awesome pension plan that I don't have to contribute a cent to. Its completely funded by the company. Also, I have a decent 401K plan. So, I am pretty pleased with my job.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am thankfull that I have a job, but I hate my job.
    I work in a factory, and we may work 7 days in a row for several months, then drop down to 4 days a week..You cant plan anything because you dont know if you will be working weekends or not..I work for a Japanese plant, and the management is always telling us how bad we suck, and there plants in other countries are much better even tho they pay there workers much less..There is always a fear of a layoff because we are constantly being told how much money we are losing..Our health insurance is terrible and the cost is skyrocketing, we did not get a raise for the first time this this year....Sometimes it really makes you mad to hear how lazy the american worker is compared to the his Japanese counterpart...I really have nothing good to say about my job other than it's better than being unemployed.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I'm generally happy. I work for a defense contractor doing mostly logistics stuff for the Special Operations Aviation Regiment here at Fort Campbell, KY. My job title is Aircraft Mechanic but mostly I repair computers and help maintain our network. I do inspect and repair parts sometimes. It's a good job and I hope to be here til retirement. But one never knows what's in the future. Well, except for catfishing, that will always be in my future.

5. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I love the field I am in, working computer support, but the currrent company I work for sucks. They do not give raises (at all) and they just have really poor employee relations. While I enjoy the work I want to do it for someone else, but don't worry I just put in my two weeks and am moving to IN.:p

6. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I hear ya' Jack! I work for a German company and I constantly hear about how great the German worker is compared to the American workers. I usually laugh and walk away because I know its a bunch of BS.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My companies main plant is in japan, it is a very new modern plant..We get the machines that they used to use which are already old and worn out. But we are expected to produce more with less people than the newer plant....Oh well ya cant win.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I work for a large caterpillar dealership in Tn. We are about to open a new store in about a week so we are trying to close our store we are in now and get this other one off the ground at the same time, kinda hecktick. But it is a good job with decent benifits, but do have to work alot of hours.

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I hate the job I have, I work overnight at a Walmart.... :conc-big: can't stand working for the company. Not sure if all Walmarts run the same but the one I work at they will make you work overtime all week then come thursday or friday they will tell you to come in late or not to come in, and if you do get any overtime you will be writen up:eek: Its hard to get two days off in a row to get vacation time it almost takes digging ole Sam Walton out of his grave. last year when I got my two weeks I asked for 5 days vacation time and i asked month and a half ahead of time and I was told "you are asking for too many days of"?????? The pay really sucks.:cursing: can't think of anything good to say about working there.

10. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I love the field I am in (food service), but began to hate my last job (hence my typing this at 2 in the afternoon;) ) It is hard work, and high stress, and I LOVE IT! I do hate alcoholic, schizophrenic idiots masquerading as bosses, though.:rolleyes:

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I like my job for many reasons and feel disrespected by it for a few reasons.... The long and short of the bad side is that there is no question in my mind, having managed businesses for 9 years now, that I am overqualified and overeducated for the size of this particular part of the franchise system I work for. In that respect I do feel slighted cause the pay in no way in burning hades matches the experience or education level.

THAT BEING SAID.....
    The benifits are good- health optical, dental, 15 paid days off per year, annual bonuses, christmas bonuses, paid holidays, a turkey on turkey day and a ham on easter. You all see what freedoms I have while at work, as I have the chance to post here many times a day (I dont have net access at home at all). It fills the longer voids, as in this business customers generally dont need to see a storefront- they just want the service. I also customize packaging and do custom packing for folks with odd stuff to send out via Fedex or UPS. I enjoy that cause I have seen many many very rare and very expensive things- an 8 foot hand carved german wall clock and a 1914 BOSOX pennant from their early world series win that was printed on leather then stitched into a pennant.

This job also is good cause it gives me the freedom to choose a 40 hour week and a long weekend if I need it- which helps cause of my second job as a guide for a wild game ranch. Now thats a job I love. I helped build the place in college (never forget 4.7 miles of fence hand hmmered in, 3679 posts hand dung out and sunk in), helped stock it and get it off the ground, and when I married, I backed down to a guide position cause I needed to move out of the area and get my lil lady through school.

Now that the wife is out of school my normal job will be a further benefit cause the down time I play online with now will be useful for studying when I go back (yes- I will back away from the BOC one of these days to do this).

I am not unhappy.... nor am I giddy. I find the job apropriate for all intents and ceartainly for my purposes.

12. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I need a job. Actually, I'm content doing nothing, but my wife says if I don't find something to do, she's gonna kill me.

We had a gas/grocery business for about the last 15 years and sold out in March 05 and I haven't hit a lick since. I've been a logger, trucker, forklift operator, truck driving school instructor, sign painter, crane operator, factory worker, grease monkey and soldier amongst other things.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just lost my job of 10 years to mexico this past fall. wasnt too bad a place to work but we struggled the last 3 years. was a union shop and made pretty good money and had 3 weeks of vacation a year to use for fishin. we made industrial heating and air units. we were purchased 2 years ago by a company out of Kansas City, Ruskin industries, but they just sped up the downfall. currently im in an electricians training program and i'm supposed to be getting a job in the feild for the next 5 months before the second half of schooling starts.....kinda hard with an unemployment check rollin in! :D since i'm in school i really dont have to look for a job until my training is done and it is very tempting to ride out unemployment till then! since my job moved due to NAFTA my benefits are extended for a year and a half. keep thinkin about all the fishing, canoeing, camping, fun i could have.:D yeah, i know, im a BUM! my old job was "self covered" as far as unemployment benefits go, so they can afford to support me while they take advantage of the mexicans. just found out a few weeks ago what they are paying the mexicans..... .16 an hour (1.85 in U.S. dollars) , 2 meals a day, and a bus ride. apparently they found out how much we made and they are startin to slack off a lot and have learned an "English" phrase..."sent it to China! They'll do it cheaper!":thumbsup:

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I have a very stressful job, especially in the winter trying to find good bait......retired and fishin':p

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mark and Ken, I want your jobs. LOL Someday I'll have one just like it too. LOL

16. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Well I am selfemployed(auto repair).Most of the time it is good,but if something happens-sick/other you still have to go to work call customers and try to get them to come in another day.I can not think of the perfect job:rolleyes:

17. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

ROTF! I liked that one Jen! Can I add a few to that list? I've had one of those argumentative days with my NY boss. We have screamed at one another for over 3 hours now. Now he says he is getting a complex because everyone is telling him he is screaming, and I said YOU ARE! He screamed back, I AM NOT! LOL. Good thing we have a family type relationship or I would have been fired today. Also good thing it's time to leave here, or I would have quit, too. I'm not a screamer by nature, but have learned to adapt over the years with these people. I can scream with the best of them but then my nerves are out of whack for a while. Hope the shingles don't come back. Oh well, wonder if I can turn them in on workmens comp? ;)

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dink, I'm in that boat with you, just not sunk yet. If we keep exporting jobs, then all of the USA will be in that boat with us, but most people think they are safe in what they are in.

Just don't forget that as long as you are on unemployment, you pay less into social security. IF it is still around when you retire, that will affect your benefit, in the long run. Of course, I'm a big advocate of reversing the retirement system anyway. Retirement should be enjoyed while you are young, say until you are 30, then work till you die. Whaddya think?

19. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I love my job and being my own boss, if things go tits up I only have myself to blame

The best part is taking pictures and seeing the expressions on peoples faces with a personal best fresh water fish.

The worst part when fishing in spain is having to wind the rods in at midnight, as thats the time the cat gets the cream

20. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I want Catbussters job!:crying: