Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
I usually run Gama 8/0. Took a trip down to MD last year and found an offshore /saltwater tackle shop that catered to the big game crowd. I bought at least a pack of every circle hook they had in stock. Maybe 20 or 25 different packs, out of every hook that I tried in all those packs, I won't be changing to any of them.

That being said they were not the circles that are aimed towards catfish, I found that most of them have too narrow of a gap for my taste.

Last couple of trips I was running 10/0 reapers ,which I really like the shape of and they were priced fair, but if I'm being honest, they were not sticky sharp out of the bag. I ended up hitting them all with a stone. But for a hook that is similar in price to the Gama and a bit bigger, I would recommend them. Just hit em with a stone a quick pass to get them sticky sharp.

Pic attached for reference, i just walked out to my truck that is just what's in my river bag right this second, I've got 3x that many hooks/brands/types at home. I've spent a LOT of time trying different hooks lol. If I was absolutely pressed to just pick 1 hook , it would easily be the 8/0 Gama, or if you can find the 10/0 Gama catfish hooks ,they are great also. (I think they call them the "big cat" series or something like that)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually run Gama 8/0. Took a trip down to MD last year and found an offshore /saltwater tackle shop that catered to the big game crowd. I bought at least a pack of every circle hook they had in stock. Maybe 20 or 25 different packs, out of every hook that I tried in all those packs, I won't be changing to any of them.

That being said they were not the circles that are aimed towards catfish, I found that most of them have too narrow of a gap for my taste.

Last couple of trips I was running 10/0 reapers ,which I really like the shape of and they were priced fair, but if I'm being honest, they were not sticky sharp out of the bag. I ended up hitting them all with a stone. But for a hook that is similar in price to the Gama and a bit bigger, I would recommend them. Just hit em with a stone a quick pass to get them sticky sharp.

Pic attached for reference, i just walked out to my truck that is just what's in my river bag right this second, I've got 3x that many hooks/brands/types at home. I've spent a LOT of time trying different hooks lol. If I was absolutely pressed to just pick 1 hook , it would easily be the 8/0 Gama, or if you can find the 10/0 Gama catfish hooks ,they are great also. (I think they call them the "big cat" series or something like that)
Thanks for sharing that man!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

i ran some hookers backstabbers i believe it was, 8/0 tip was verry soft. would roll over about anytime it touched anything hard. the reapers seem to be better.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i ran some hookers backstabbers i believe it was, 8/0 tip was verry soft. would roll over about anytime it touched anything hard. the reapers seem to be better.
I could definitely see that, even the reapers I could potentially see having that issue. The way the hook point is turned in, kinda protects it, but the possibility is def there.

The local shop down by where I fish has a really good assortment of hooks I want to try, but some of them are insanely priced!!! I'm not paying 5+$ a hook, not the way I go through tackle lol!!

Of course it's hard to put a price on the couple of giant fish that I lost these last couple years due to not getting a good hook in them, maybe it would be worth paying for the high dollar hooks.

·
Registered
Waylon from Osage County, Oklahoma
371 Posts
Eagle claw circle sea from Walmart 5/0-7/0

Got some gamakatsu's they do the same thing as the eagle claw hooks just cost more doing it

UCEC 🇨🇳 hooks from Amazon, they're sharp just under sized 1 size & not quite as thick or strong but they haven't let me down yet.

Team catfish 9/0 hooks floating here somewhere, think they're daiichi made.

Got a few mudville cat masters or whatever they're called from Atwood's cause they were cheap and big, they seem ok.

Hooker's terminal tackle madcatters straightened out on me 3 times so I ditched them, wanted to like them but to weak. In fairness I was hung up but the eagle claw never straightened out in the same situation

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most my life I just used cheap Eagle Claw bait holder or aberdeen hooks up to 2/0.
Then several years ago I tried some Lazer Sharp octo circles.
I have no problem with the Lazer Sharps but I tried Gamakatsu octopus circles and just love em.
I use 3/0, 5/0 and 7/0. Inline, of course.
And I also like Gama octopus in 2/0, 4/0 and 6/0 at times.
That's pretty much all I use for catfish.

I use small circles in #8, #6 and #4 for white perch, croakers, spots and smaller channels off the end of our pier using those big round orange bobbers. Fish hook themselves every time.
Lots of fun and no gut hooked fish. Breaks my heart when I gut hook a fish.😁

·
Registered
355 Posts
I forgot all about the eagle claw Octos!! Those are actually a REALLY close #2 to the gamas in my book. And if I'm being honest, I hesitate to even call them #2, I'd just as soon fish them really. They are great hooks, especially taking into account how available they are. I forgot how much I like them hooks until I read the last couple post.

·
Registered
95 Posts
GAMAKATSU is the only way to go, for any kind of hooks. Forged japanese steel, super sharp, and somehow treated not to rust! I've opened up some storage boxes that had Gamakatsu hooks put away wet, (sometimes with saltwater) for YEARS and they come out Completely Un-rusted and still sharp as hell.
Extremely strong too... I've collected a LOT of bets from other folks I've fished with, who look at my hooks and say "you need something stouter than that! You'll straighten that out in no time!" Never had one straighten or break... Or even get dull!
This is what you get from. People who live on an island and DEPEND on fishing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts