Your gill roping rig

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by cathouse, Apr 17, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    what do you all use for gills , rod and reel.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The smallest least expensive combo I can find. Spooled with 4# to 8# test and a Gama #10 octopus circle hook with a piece of worm on it. Found a bute at Dicks sportin goods a few years back for $20. Still use it and enjoy the hell outa it. LOL!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got a Quantam micro-lite spin combo with 4 lb berkly and i like the # 6-10 Matzou sycle hooks

4. ibcleary

ibcleary New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    BPS microlight 6"6" ultralight rod. Zebco 11 platinum reel. Stren 4# lo-vis mono. Broke it in on wed. 7 Hand sized gills and a few smaller. Great fun on a light set-up.

5. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    zebco 33 rhino combo.

6. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I've got a Quantam micro-lite spin combo with 4 lb test. Makes for a great fight. And use what ever small pieces of bait I can fine! some times for bait size gills a plain gold hook is enough.
    :boss: ​

7. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Zebco model 11 ultralight with 4# mono on a Stealth rod with a bobber. Rod is like a minature bass rod, fast tip with backbone. I use mostly crickets. Lot of fun if you tie into a 2-4 lb bass. Have had to follow them in the boat before.

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Sounds like some good rigs . I truly enjoy these little scrappers imagine the fight of a large bass sized gill could put up . so a descent size gill on such light tackle could make ones heart jump out of his/her chest please continue to share your rig of choice with the others here i know there are more gill fans here , even if they are just used for bait by some i kinda like the tasty guys also . I look forward to hearing from more of you .

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Black Widow Crappie Cane pole :cool2:

Makes catching flathead bait a whole lotta fun...

Small hook, piece of worm, small slipshot and bobber.. Fish it right up next to rip rap.. They Usually hit it as soon as it touches the water heh.. Most times I fill my 20 gallon bait tank with in a hour...

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Chris,

About two years ago, my wife went down to Wal-Mart and picked-up a small Ugly-Stik Combo for under $20.00. It's has a rod in it that's about 4' & 6" long with a small spinning reel spool with 4 pound test line on it & catching Bluegills on it is a blast.
    :big_smile:
    I been having fun catching Bluegills on that thing, but you will really have a good time getting some Crappie, Largemouth Ba$$ or small Channel Cats (all in the 2 to 4 pound range).
    :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

11. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I usually use a zebco 33 but I just picked up a small zebco spinner from wal mart that I am useing now. I just hook up a bobber, the cheapest styrofoam bobber I can find, a split shot weight and a very small hook. with a long shank. Stick a 1/4" long piece of worm on it and you cant go wrong. The bait will last on there for ever as well.

12. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    I have a couple of the above that I use for casting with a cork and whatever for both brim and crappie. I like a long rod as it seems I can cast the cork and lure better. I also like the Pro model better with the cork handles, like the feel of cork.

13. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I like to use we-little curl tail jigs, I think it makes catching them funner than using worm.

14. jeremy0000

jeremy0000 New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    I still use the good ole' cane pole for catchin the brim.

15. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I've got a few 10' telescoping poles that make the fish a lot of fun. They are very sensitive, too, so you can feel everything with them. When I'm casting, I use my trout rod. I got it at Bass Pro. It is a 5ft yellow fiberglass rod with a Zebco trigger spin ultralight reel. That whippy rod will throw a very small lure quite a ways. I usually try to use 6lb spider wire. It is about the same diameter as 4lb and pretty tough.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a South Bend ul spinning combo, spool 8 lb test line and I use crickets or small worms for bait.

17. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I use a 10" telescopic pole with 50# braided line, a split shot and a #10 cricket hook bent like this <____/ with the barb filed off.

Chichen hearts cut in tiny pieces are working better than anything right now and they stay on the hook way better than worms.

The 50# braided allows me to go anywhere I want and fish in places I can't with mono. The bend in the hook reduces the amount of deep hooks and shows me which way the hook is going if it is buried in the throat.

If you try it, you'll be "hooked".

18. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Flyrod w/popping bug!

19. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    crappie grabber telescoping 10 ft pole. I have floating fly line on it with about 2 foot of 4lb test mono leader. I use anywhere between a #10 cricket hook and # 16 with a lil bitty piece of nightcrawler on it usually under a bobber.

20. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Attached is what I use every chance I get

Attached Files: