Your Fishing Heritage Fact or Fiction

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bedbug jr, Oct 13, 2009.

1. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm sure we've all had those "nobody would believe this" moments so we keep them to ourselves to avoid "the look".
    I thought it might be fun to share some of those moments with others and finally get them out in the open:smile2::smile2: My first run in with a gar came some years ago while nite fishing from the bank with my trusty Coleman lantern. Set the hook and the fight was on and I had no idea what was on the other end until he came into range of the lantern. All I saw was teeth, teeth, and more teeth. Being the macho man that I just naturally am, I'm sure I screamed and grabbed for my faithful machete to cut the line. Ended up cutting through line and rod and needless to say that ended my nite fishing for quite a while:smile2::smile2: Stay safe and feel free to share--your secret will be safe with me!!!:wink:

2. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How about being too manly to admit you shouldn't be fishing in the fog in a boat and having to spend the night on the bank until daylight arrived. In February! Or running out of gas and having to use various items around the boat for paddles. Or running out of gas while trying to look cool cruising by the beach and then the trolling motor quits working as the wind blows you up onto a snag and you have to break out the emergency paddle while your buddy is pouring the extra gas you luckily brought into the gas tank! How about an old motor with a screw that would back out causing a fuel leak and a bare wire that occasionally sparks off of the flywheel. Instant fireball accompanied by goldfish and water going all over the motor to suppress the fire. I think I really just wanted to soak my buddy for not fixing those small issues with his motor. Tightened the screw, started the smoking motor and went down the creek. People thought we were crazy. That was the second time that happened. Or coming back to camp to find that while your friends were asleep it rained so hard that their boat with a small hole in it drifted off and filled with water nearly sinking. That was alright except that my motor was on the back of the boat. How about your friends new bass boat coming off the hitch while your towing it. Yes it was the proper ball for that hitch. Apparently the hitch was defective because it happened to him again with another truck. Thank God for safety chains. The tongue slid on the jack wheel until I could get stopped. Or putting too big of a motor on a little fiberglass boat with a weak transom. I'm sure you know where this story is going. While I was parking the truck my buddy took it out to warm the motor up and was greeted by his motor coming into the boat when he rolled the throttle over. Of course I didn't see this because it was midnight and I drove down to the campsite. We thought he was joking when he walked into camp. The words "I sunk your boat", are hilarious until you realize they are true. I could go on for hours. This is why only a few people will hunt or fish with us. Of course now I'm grown and no better........................

3. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    How about being pulled in the water by a 3lb flat head:eek:oooh:?I was fishing one night, When my clicker went off,I was reeling it in and knowing i didn't need a net, I was thinking, I'll just hoist it up this 8' bank, Well that's just what i did:crazy:, The fish came at me at 100 mph, I did a kool side step:wink:, BUT, there wasn't no ground there:crazy:, and yes, I took the place of the fish in the water, And yes,There was other folk's there, I couldn't go back to that part of the river till the next year:embarassed::embarassed::smile2::wink:

4. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    heres one for ya i used to run jug lines in a creek with my uncle and we often ran them 3x a day first light mid day and then right at dark one night we went to check the jugs and we used hobie cats so we could check them faster and in case you dont know what a hobie cat is its more less a personal pontoon with an opening in between your legs long story short i grabbed this jug and felt a good fish on the other end thinking i've got a big flat or massive channel i pulled up the line and it was about a 6ft gar right between my legs and needless to say i dropped him quick fast and in a hurry lol

5. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    When I was about 13 years old I bought a old boat and motor.I mean it was old even for then.I remember the out board motor being a 12 hp Ski King straight drive.Well the first time I went to use it. I was standing up in the boat wrapping the rope around it and pulling away.When it finally started the motor jump to high R.M.P's the boat made a quick 90 degree turn throwing my butt in the water.:embarassed::smile2: I was lucky I didn't get run over the motor only ran a few seconds The only thing hurt was my pride

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    My mind goes back to one night some friends and I went fishing along an old creek. We got everything set up and rods set out. We decided to build a fire to break the night chill. We carried several pieces of wood and started the fire. We use a large limb to hold everything down. When the fire got hot a cotton mouth snake crawled out of the top log. Scared us bad. Later we were checking the rods when my buddy got a bite. I got down close to the water and told him to reel it up to me. When I went to pick it up, it was an Eel. I tore the bank up trying to reach the top. I was through with that fishing trip.To much wiggling action for me in one night.

7. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How about the time(s) you forgot to put the plug in the boat....or the time your front anchor let loose while fishing the channel and the back one did not, filling the boat with water in a matter of seconds while your buddy is trying to start the boat and sucked up water into the cylinders. While you run to the front hooking your foot under a ledge in the boat to lean out as far as you could to try and raise the back corner of the boat and luckily the back anchor lets loose for a few moments so that you can run to the back and cut the anchor. Its then that you find out that the motor still won’t start and you look around and realize that you are heading for a bridge pillar. So you pull the front anchor in and try to throw the anchor out to keep from hitting the pillar that there is too much water in the boat for the anchor to hold. You finally get the front anchor to catch and sit down and thank the lord. Then you buddy tells you the bilge pump is not working and you grab a bucket and start bailing. As you start bailing it then that you realize that the bucket that you are using is the bucket that the bait was in and you look into the middle of the boat and see about 10-12 3 to 5 inch gold fish swimming in the boat. You think we will be here a while might as well fish. You look around for your favorite rod and reel and it is nowhere to be found...it’s gone.
    You bail as much water as you can out of the boat and then remove the spark plugs and try to clean them...crank over the motor with no plugs in and see sprays of water shooting out the spark plug holes. You clean the plugs - heat them up with a BIC lighter, that takes forever to dry out and finally light, put them back in and get the motor running. Its then and there you think there is hope that we will be able to get the boat back to the ramp and call it a day when you realize that there is still way to much water in the boat. It will not even come close to going up river or even begin to plane out. You look in the back compartment and see the gas tank floating and that water it at the top of the battery. You empty out the gold fish from the bucket only to find out that it will not fit inside the compartment. You tell your buddy to floor the motor and you pull the plug and run as fast as you can....The boat finally start to plane out and then you run to back and put the plug back in. You look at the bucket with the gold fish swimming around in it and say to you buddy I know that we are both wet from just below the waist that we were lucky as H*LL....do you still wanta go fishing? You both laugh and again thank the lord and then look around and realize, hey that looks like a good spot you get 2 poles out and then bam....the rod and reel start sliding a cross the deck you manage to grab the pole and as you do you hit the anti-reverse lever and as you set the hook the line spools inside the reel...you fight the fish anyway you get it close to the boat twice and it makes a final run and hits the birds nest inside the spool and snaps....Gone. You fish for a couple of more hours and then call it a day.

You think I lost my favorite rod and reel…..It’s a small price to pay for my life …..

Lessons learned: That I will never put the back anchor out in that much current again. I will make sure that there is a sharp knife next to both anchor ties from now on.

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i was running trotlines one nite with a friend. when we were heading back to shore we spotted a raccoon swimming across the lake. well, i decided to scoop him up in the dip net and brought him into the boat. have you ever had a mad coon in the boat with you in the middle of the lake. my friend dropped the spotlight and it went out and we were trying to dodge this coon in the dark boat. needless to say, i'll never do that again.

9. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    The damn Okie and I were night fishing on an Oklahoma lake for crappie. Knowing we would be out all night, I took us a couple of quilts. Fair weather fisherwoman that I am, I wrapped up in my quilt and went to sleep on the bow of the boat. About daylight, I woke up to see the Okie also wrapped in his quilt. He had a 16 ft fiber glass crappie pole on one side of the boat and was jigging on the other. Suddenly, his long pole went skimming across the top of the water. He jumped in quilt and all to grab the pole. He did capture his pole and when the old gar hit the end of the slack, the line popped like a 22. By this time, the quilt had soaked up gallons of water and I couldn't do anything but laugh. He finally handed me the quilt and muttered something about "you just stand there while I nearly drown."

Lesson learned....save the quilt.

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am going to tell this story, but this will be the only time, and dont ya'll ever repeat it, because I will deny every word of it.

I was about 16 or 17 years old and me and a buddy decided that when it quit raining we were going to go to the river, it finally quit raining about 7:00 at night. We loaded the truck with our fishing poles, latern, snacks and beverages. We headed out to our favorite hole, got there and by the time we got unloaded it was dark.

We only had one flashlight, and it was very dim, the batteries probably should have been changed out 6 months prior. We head off down the trail, we are both loaded down with gear, chairs, laterns, you name it we had it. The going was slow in the mud, sliding and slipping all the way. We only had about 50 yards to go when it happened, I was following my friend who had the "light", and we came to a place where the trail disappeared,, and it sloped down a muddy bank into the water. You had to grab brush even in dry weather to make it across. Well since my friend had the light in one hand, guess who had most of the fishing tackle? You guessed it me. Well when we hit the place with the disappearing trail, I couldnt grab the brush, so I started sliding down to the water. My friend had made it across, and as I was sliding down to the water I yelled at him to turn the light down my way.

When he turned the light my way, all I saw was the biggest set of eyes, I had ever seen in the dark. I screamed like a little girl. I stopped about 1 1/2 feet from that bobcat. I screamed again, I scattered fishing tackle all the way back up the bank. My friend saw the eyes and he was gone, with the light. I guess my screaming and flying fishing tackle was all that Bobcat could take, he passed me somewhere about 1/2 way up the bank, heading in the same direction as my friend, by this time I was on the trail and running at full tilt after them, about 150 feet down the trail, I could see I was gaining on that old bobcat. Then through the fog of fear in my head, I realized something was wrong, what was I going to do when I caught that bobcat? I stopped dead in my tracks, and yelled at my friend that the bobcat was gaining on him. He looked back, and shifted into high gear, and I didnt see him for awhile....about 30 minutes later I see the light coming back down the trail....The bobcat had turned into the woods somewhere along the way and left my friend....

I might have screamed like a little girl, but my buddy said that wet spot on the front of his jeans was water....I asked him why he wasnt wet all over then....:smile2:

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    one nite my uncle james and i were flathead fishing at a hole on the ouachita river and i got a good bite.i set the hook and missed the fish but i could tell by the weight that i still had my chub minner on the hook.as i was reeling in to change baits i got a hit so figuring it was a gar i let him run with it quiet a ways.i set the hook and derned if i didnt hook it.i fought the fish up to where we had the latern and all of a sudden theres the biggest small mouth bass i ever saw.i squated down,blocking the light,and stuck my thumb in a 10 lb.waleyes mouth.that was first time i ever saw a waleye but it was the last time i ever liped one.unc.had to pry her mouth open with his pocket knife.stil cought several flats that nite.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The night I graduated HS My two best buds and I got hold of a case of beer and two fifths of peppermint schnappes,and we went to the lake to go cattin,we werent with the "in croud" but we weren't gonna miss out on the partyin either. we had all sorts of campin gear,planning on spending the nite out fishin. Well about midnite Wade gets a bite on a waterdog,and sets the hook on a huge channelcat,he manages to get her to the bank,and Ronnie decides to grab the line and help,I'm just watchin thinkin thats thin line and a huge fish. Yup about the time Ronnie grabs the line it snapped,He jumps in and gets finned square in the chest and both palms,AND looses the cat as well.We kinda lost interest in cattin the rest of the nite as for the moanin and groanin from the finned buddy,But it was SR night and it was GOOD.

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When I was quite a bit younger and Bass fished, I would sometimes go for cats on the bottom with the same rig. I didnt know any better. I bought some salamanders for the first time and thought id go for something big. Well at the time I was a avid beer drinker and I had to relieve myself, so I turned around and did my business. All of a sudden I heard clickity clak, clickity clack. Turned back around and my pole was gone, lol. I jus bought that nice Bass pole with my income tax money. One cast and she was gone. Lesson learned.

14. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Years ago, a buddy and I were going fishing. I wanted to go to the coast, he wanted to go to the coast, but his wife wouldn't allow him to go to the coast without her. We decided to go to Choke Canyon. We were going to fish a couple of days, so we made reservations at a motel.

We get to the motel and it looked more like a jail than a motel. We decided that there was no way we were going to stay there. We found a nicer place to stay and called to cancel our reservation at the other place.

My buddy's wife called the motel that we were supposed to be staying at, and needless to say we weren't there. Instead of the motel staff saying that we had canceled our stay, they told her that we weren't coming in for another day. She got mad and went to some friends.

After we got settled in to the new motel, he tried to call his wife, but didn't get an answer. He left a message on the answering machine. He didn't expect a call back and thought everything was fine, all the while she was thinking that we went to the coast.

We fished that day and he tried to call her the next. Still no answer, but he left a message that were fine and that the fishing was great. She still wasn't home and was still thinking that we were either at the coast or were not even fishing at all.

Two days later he tries to call her again as we're checking out of the motel. She was home, but she was really mad and wanted to know where we had been and what we had been doing. It took lots of convincing and a motel receipt to get him out of the dog house....

I won't even talk about the time that I fell out of the boat and nearly drowned in two foot of water.....:eek:oooh:He and I had some pretty good adventures.....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was about 13 maybe 14 I wasnt driving yet so we went to the river on our trusty huffys.When we got to the river we noticed the ice had started to break up, but knowing the ice was real thich the day befpre we went out and even used the holes we used the day before.well to make a long story short at about 10 A.M. we were about 50 yards down streem on an ice flow of our every own.we didnt know what to do so we just kept fishing.round noon we thought about getting off our ice burg. as we got near to the edge of the flow it started to break apart.we gathersd what we couldnt live without poles, bait box, and what was left of our lunches. and made a running leap. The water was 3ft deep and we got to shore safley.That was the last time we tried to get one more day on the ice.
    smokey

16. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Unfortunately my story is not about me, but my son. While fishing with friends when dad was working one day he fortunately and unfortunately caught his first walleye (one in the 19-20 inch range). At age 12 he decided that these critters could just be lipped like a bass. Long story short he passed out from shock and loss of blood from hooks and teeth. This was approximately 20 years ago and he is fine now and fortunately we can laugh about it, but it sure wasn't funny then. He learned that lesson the very hard way. OUCH! (It still hurts just thinking about it) :wink:

Ray

17. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    man i have been laughing so hard i could not read a whole post without wiping my eyes. thanks yall and keep them coming

18. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I told this story in the Georgia section, but I'm sure most of you missed it, so here it is:

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    heres another one for you guys.one time when i was aroung 15 my cuzin donald and i went coon hunting.we took his dads truck and drove off down in the mountains turned the dogs loose and away we went.didnt take long and the dogs were off and running with us on their heels.long story short we got that one and then another and then figuered out we didnt know where we were.we cought the dogs and started walking .up and down up and down after bout 4 hours we decided we better just sit down and wait till daylight and build a fire.we did and while sitting there watching the fire we heard a car drive up and my uncles voice says hey boys what yall doing.we got up and walked out to where we could see him and low and behold we was only 50 foot from the truck.

20. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i had a similar situation to johnnies that don't have anything to do with fishing but when i coon hunted. i always prided myself on being a good woodsman and could read the stars and get my bearings. i hunted a new spot one night and took my bearings from the stars before i left the truck. the dogs struck and away we went. after 30 minutes of chasing the dogs through the woods one of my dogs started screaming. after getting to the dog i found that he was in someones steel trap. i got him out of the trap and called my other dogs in and got them leashed. when i looked up to get my bearings i discovered there were no stars. heavy clouds had moved in and i heard thunder. now, december thunderstorms are not the norm for northeast texas but they do happen. the sky opened up and it poured and lightning was popping. here i was with 3 dogs on leashes and no idea of where i needed to go. we walked for hours (probably in circles) and finally the sky cleared. soaking wet and exhausted i found that we weren't 1/4 mile from the truck. well after that i didn't play daniel boone anymore and bought me a good compass.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009