Your first fishing reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oahegw, Jul 7, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    What kind of a reel did you first buy and what was the cost?

Mine was back in the early 1960's and was a Shakespeare "Wonder Cast" model #1777. I bought it mail order from Sears and the cost was about $15.00. I still have the box it came in along with the instructions. The whereabouts of the reel now is a mystery.

2. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    Oh goodness. The first reel I ever had was some cheap spincast reel I got as a kid. I wish I still had it, but it's long gone. The first reel I bought myself....well that was an even cheaper spincaster which is also now long gone. Looking back on it, I really wish I still had both of those reels and the cheap rods they were on, too.:sad2: Good memories with both of those reels.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    :eek:oooh: been so long i couldn't guess the price but got a zebco 33 and thought i was the stuff. Big up-grade from that ole cane pole. Had a hula popper, couple spinner baits and some pre-rigged worms. Kevin VanDamn couldn't have told me anything back in them days.:wink: My ill spent youth was the best part of my life.

4. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I was 12 years old, my dad had left my mom and took all the fishing rods with him so I mowed yards and made $2.00 and went to Western Auto and layed away a Zebco 202 and a fiberglass fishing rod. Total cost foor the out fit was about $7.00 and after leaving the store I went and mowed more yards and returned to the store that afternooon and got it out of lay-away!
    I fished that little rod and reel to death!

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    a used zebco 33 given to me by my grandfather when i was just a kid.I still have that reel and several others my grandfather and dad handed down to me when i was little,everyone of them still work.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

A Ted Williams spincaster from Sears & Roebucks.If I had a buck for every creekchub I caught on that reel,I could buy a new car!Of course back then I was only five and thought they were trout.:wink:.

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    wow the first reel i bought? it was a ryobi rx-5 for 6 dollars at gaylords/zayers in 1980.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i think when i was a kid my first was a pocket fisherman, i seen it on TV and had ta have one, boy did that cast like crap:smile2:, but before that i used a stick with some line on it:wink:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My first reel was a Zebco 202.

10. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I used a 14 foot cain pole at the creek just a short walk from my house then my daddy gave me a zebco 33 to fish with.The first reel i boght I think was a shakespear spincast

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :smile2: cane pole well sorta a switch and line dad made up real quick

as far as reel it was a zebco 202 have no clue what it cost probably 2 bucks lol

then dad went all out and got us zebco 33 back in the day they made them well and a heck of a good reel :wink:

12. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    my first was a zebco 33

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    a zebco 202

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Zebco 202 Spincaster!

15. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    The first I bought myself was a Johnson Century. That reel is 25 years old and still use it from time to time. Bought it a Western Auto. My very first was a 202 my dad gave me.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The first reel I ever picked out and paid for my self was a Johnson Citation. I used it for everything I fished for.

17. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    my 1st was a handed down pflueger trump baitcaster , still have that reel although i havent used it since i was a kid

18. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Zebco 33, had it since before I could remember.:confused2: Caught a lot of fish on it :cool2:

19. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    I had the zebco 20\20 set.

20. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    First reel I bought was a diawa mini cast- Gold. Folding handle, with the handle folded, you could thumb a wheel on the side for a sort of drag. Diawa pistol grip rod, orange in color, steel guides, ulltra light action. Caught a billion fish on that rod. Probably bought it in 1975, I was 12. Still have it, saw it in the garage earlier today. Grooves worn in the guides, but still in good working order.