Your favorite Thanksgiving recipes

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Eithne, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    It's almost the time for family, football and, of course, FOOD! What's your favorite dish? Share your Thanksgiving recipes here. :big_smile:

2. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i love it all but that dang bird. any kind of bird i just dont care for them, but my loving wife makes me ham so im always stoked about that.

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    my favorite is the smell of the neck and giblets boilin in a pan cookin to get cut up f th stuffing :big_smile: :cool2:

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    omg that was my 400th post yippy :smile2: :cool2:

5. lilpaducah

lilpaducah New Member

State:
    IN
    TURKEY & PUMPKIN PIE with Lots of COOL WHIP :smile2:

This holiday is the only time I eat pumpkin pie :smile2:

Have a safe Holiday sister !!!!!!

6. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    2 years ago I got a turkey fryer for Christmas. This has changed my longtime tradition of always smoking a turkey to bounce between smoking and deep frying a turkey. I smoke one for Christmas (this gives me lots of time outside when everyone else is inside :wink:) and deep frying for Thanksgiving (not as much time outside, still watch the games.).

Deep Fried Turkey Marinade
    1 pound salt
    1 pound brown sugar

Take thawed turkey 1 day ahead of time and marinade. Put salt and brown sugar into a small amount of hot water (gallon or so). The hot water will help the marinade dissolve. Put turkey in large pot and add marinade. Fill with enough water to cover bird. Turkey will float up, so put something heavy on top of it keep it submerged. Cover and refridgerate.

Make sure you pat dry the turkey really good before you fry.

Fried Turkey rub
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoon paprika
    2 teaspoons onion powder

Take all ingrediants and mix together. Take rub and spread UNDER the skin of the bird. Use almost all of it. Save just a little for the outside of the bird. The paprika will really help get a dark color to your bird. Make sure you put your seasoning under the skin so that it soaks into the bird as it cooks.

Cooking time will vary by fryer and temp. I use an indoor/outdoor electric fryer for mine. A 14 lb bird will take an hour to an hour and 10 minutes in 3 gallons of peanut oil.

7. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1 small pkg of the "big" macaroni
    4 eggs
    1 can evaporated milk
    1 stick butter
    about 1lb sharp cheddar cheese
    salt and pepper​

Cook the macaroni. Then layer the macaroni, cheese, and cut up bits of butter in a casserole dish. Top last layer with cheese and bits of butter. Beat eggs with milk and put in your salt and pepper. Pour that over the layers.
    Bake in oven at 350 for about an hour or until the top is light golden brown. DO not overcook or it will be dry!​

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    my brother in law is hosting ours this year. he's frying turkeys!! I LOVE fried turkey. My familys side would disown me if I didnt make my apple pie.

9. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    These are a couple more sides I make to go along with the turkey and ham.

Neck Bone Collard Greens

2 lbs. fresh pork neck bones
    3 bunches of collards
    ½ course chopped yellow onion
    8 cups of water (enough to cover bones for boiling)
    Seasoned salt

Start by washing the neck bones, add seasoned salt and broil under high heat until brown on both sides. Add bones to a stock pot, cover with water, add seasoning, onion and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until meat shakes off the bone (about one hour). Roll collard greens and course chop. Add greens to pot and season with sea salt in each layer. Cook on low heat until greens reach the tenderness desired. Serve greens with neck bones and broth poured on top.

Purple Hull Peas with Spicy Roma Tomato Chutney

One pound fresh or frozen peas
    6 cups of water (to cover two inches)
    2 slices of bacon
    2 tsp seasoned salt
    Extra pepper/sea salt to taste

Cover peas with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low then add seasoning and bacon. Cook 30 minutes then reduce heat to low for another 10 minutes or until peas are tender.

Spicy Roma Tomato Chutney

2 lbs. fresh roma tomatoes
    1 cup chopped sweet yellow onion
    1 small lemon (juice and pulp)
    ½ cup fresh jalapeno pepper
    5-6 large fresh garlic cloves
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    ½ tbsp brown sugar
    ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
    ¼ tsp seasoned salt
    ¼ tsp cumin
    2-3 tbsp olive oil

Heat a cast iron pot then add olive oil. Sautee onion, jalapeno and ½ of the lemon juice 3-4 minutes at medium high heat. Add remainder of ingredients except tomato sauce and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook down until sauce thickens. Be sure to stir often. Once the sauce thickens, remove from heat and stir in tomato sauce. Serve warm over the peas.

10. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    This is my regular stuffing (sort of) receipe. The family always demands seconds.
    I use to watch my grandmother cook the cornbread and white bread to make this with, however I take the shortcut.

Southern Stuffin'

1 lg pkg herb seasoned stuffing mix
    1 sm pkg cornbread stuffing mix
    about a cup of minced onion
    about a cup of chopped celery
    2-3 eggs
    1 stick butter
    about 2 tsp salt
    about 2 tsp pepper
    about 2 Tbs rubbed sage

Enough turkey broth/chicken boullion with water mix to make it like thick oatmeal

I put all the stuffing mix in a big bowl. Melt the butter in a small pan and sautee' the onion and celery until sort of clear looking. (not brown). Pour that into the stuffing mix. Add the eggs and seasonings. Then pour the broth mixture while mixing it until it is about the consistency of thick oatmeal.
    I taste my raw mixture for additional seasonings. A lot of times, I'll add more sage as needed.
    I spray my big glass casserole dish with some non-stick spray and pour it all in.
    Bake at 350 for about an hour. A toothpick will NOT come out clean when done. The top WILL start to brown, though.

Have a happy Turkey day everyone!​

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    giblet gravy liberally slathered on stuffing and mashed taters YUUUUMMM

giblets from 1 turkey or chicken
    4 cups cold water
    4 tablespoons butter
    4 tablespoons flour
    2 cups pan drippings or chicken broth
    1/2 cup milk or half and half
    1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
    2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
    PREPARATION:
    Remove liver from giblets and refrigerate. Place giblets in saucepan, cover with 4 cups cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour. Now add the liver and simmer for another 30 minutes. Drain in a colander, allow to cool, chop and set aside. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes, or until butter barely begins to turn golden. Slowly stir in drippings or chicken broth and milk or half and half. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in hard-cooked eggs and chopped giblets and serve.
    Makes 3 cups.

12. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I like to put a big ol Turkey on the BBQ-pit and close up both ends and stick butter in him, and turn him every five to seven minute's, using hickory wood, Usaly when we have turkey dinner we will have about thiry to forty people eat with us, And we'll have a couple oven baked turkey's and the bbq turk and one deep fried in peanut oil. My BBQ turkey doesn't last to long.
    I also love that banana pudding,but leave that for the wife to fix, Hummm I can't wait,,,,,

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cant find my brine rec. to post ,But I brine my turkey overnite in a traditional brine minus the sweeter spices and add a few of my own like cyanne pepper garlic granules and sage,then after the overnite swin ,its slow smoked in either Mesquite or Hicory wood for about 12 hrs at 250-300* in my smoker. My family loves em. and this is the only way I'll even eat turkey

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Here's a good dish for any fall day, but you can substitute turkey tenderloins for the pork on this particular holiday. I normally celebrate with my family and the traditional T-day foods....but for a smaller group (and less stress :crazy:) this works well. Pair up with your favorite green veggie/salad.

Sauteed Pork & Cheddar Studded Wild Rice

1 pound boneless pork loin, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 cups apple juice
    1 package (6.2 to 6.75 oz.) quick cooking long grain and wild rice mix
    1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries (i.e. Craisins)
    1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Season meat with cinnamon. Saute meat in hot oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, 5 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet; set aside.

Add onion; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add apple juice and rice seasoning packet; bring to a boil. Sitr in rice and cranberries. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 7 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Arrange meat over rice; sprinkle meat with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Cover; heat over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Six ??? servings :big_smile:

Now for the dessert, I prefer an old standby. I like pumpkin pie too, but sweet potato MORE. Here's my recipe.

Best Sweet Potato Pie

2 tablespoons butter, melted
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons maple flavoring (or vanilla)
    3 eggs
    1/4 cup SIFTED flour (measure after sifting)
    2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
    1 to 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (to taste)
    1 can evaporated milk
    pie shell for one deep dish pie (Cheat if ya want, I'm familiar with being crust challenged :confused2:. Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust is good and SIMPLE; frozen works too.)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prick pie shell with fork, bake 5 minutes; remove from oven.

Beat sugars with butter and flavoring. Beat in eggs, then remaining ingredients.

Pour mixture into shell, bake at 425 degrees 10 minutes; reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake 30 minutes more or until firm.

(I usually cover the edge of the crust with foil or a leftover aluminum pie pan halfway through baking - if it seems to be getting too brown.)

Makes one deep dish pie; serve with whipped cream and toasted pecans.

One more to go with the traditional fare......

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

1 cup water
    1 cup sugar
    1 12 oz. package fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed and drained

Bring water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add cranberries and return to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour sauce into bowl, cover and cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate until serving. Makes 2 1/4 cups.

Happy turkey day everybody! Don't eat so much that you end up NOT bein' thankful :wink:.

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How do you brine a turkey or better yet what does that mean? We have been getting fresh turkeys for the last couple of years (will never go back to frozen) and I put a stick of butter under the skin of each breast a stick of butter in the cavity and a stick of butter lathered over the skin with some Paula Dean (homemade) put on it. A 25 lb bird will cook for about 3-4 hours and be done. I also started cooking the bird breast down so they would get all of the juices and not be dry.

16. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ryan, a brine and a marinade are about the same thing. Normally the brine mainly tries to keep the bird from drying out with salt and fewer seasonings and a marinade does the same thing with more seasonings. Both rely on salt to get the bird to soak up and retain water (or marinade) so that the bird won't dry out.

Also, when grilling, try throwing an apple and a pear (cut in half) inside the cavity of the bird when you cook it. This will cause the natural fruit juices to evaporate inside and work into the bird from the inside. It also helps to keep it from drying out.

I use a pound of salt and a pound of brown sugar to start most of my marinades. The salt keeps the bird hydrated and the sugar sweetens it. Then add other seasonings to taste or apply a rub after you brine it.

17. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Since we're doing T-day with the in-laws and their families this year, I've come up with a special recipe just for this occasion:

One bottle Canadian Club
    One bottle 7-Up (optional)

Mix 1 to 1. Drink heavily.
    :wink:

18. JJ Hunt

JJ Hunt New Member

State:
    MS
    All this talk about food is killing my diet. Yall making me hungry!!!!

19. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I do most of the cooking anyway so,
    Either deep fried turkey or a baked ham.
    BROWN SUGAR BAKED HAM
    any ham
    deep roasting pan with lid.
    1cup brown sugar,
    1 can each(large) pinapple ,orange juice
    1cup mollassaes
    pepper
    1 cup honey
    1 can sliced pinapple
    3 TBS cinnamon
    2 TBS allspice
    2 TBS ground cloves
    Place ham fat side up in pan. add all ingredients to pan,making sure to have enough fluid to cover ham at least 3/4's under fluid.
    Bake using cooking instructions on wrapper. (I.E so many minutes per pound)
    Every 45 minutes, re-baist ham and re-cover.

:big_smile:happy turkey day!

20. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    man this thread makes me hungry. it all sounds good

Catgirl, I'm going to try an get my wife to make that Sweet Potato Pie. Sounds good to me.
    Also thanks for that homemade Cranberry Sauce recipe. I'll give it a try. We always get it in a can and I dont like the can stuff. LOL.
    ----------------------------------------------------

We like the fried turkey in peanut oil.
    I mix up Adams Cajun season in a jar of water. I'll add to it, garlic juice, a little cayenne pepper, extra onion power , black pepper, jalapeno salt and a shot of woshire sauce. I'll let it set for a couple days to soften up the seasoning so it will go through my injector. Night before cooking, I inject the heck of bird with the mix and pour a little over top.
    I started deep frying corn on the cob. Season it with pepper and salt, roll in flour and deep fry. its good.
    I love my wifes Jal pepper cornbread dressing, giblet gravy and home made yeast biscuits. I aint sure on recipe.
    Heck there aint much I dont like. We always cook a lot more than we can eat. LOL.

We will all have a dinner, but aint sure yet if we'll be together for thanksgiving for the first time in 26 years. I might be out of town. One Son most likely will be working long hours. He works a 200+ mile area. My other Son might be at the cowboy game that day if he gets the 4 tickets he was promised. Its all up in the air on TG day. Around here, the wind may change over night and we all be together. Either way, we will pig out , enjoy the food and where ever I'm at, I'll fry the turkey, even if its a couple days late. LOL.
    Then its, get out the Christmas stuff. I aint looking forward to that part. LOL.
    I usually gain a few pounds between now and New years. LOL.
    Hope all has a good one.
    be safe, enjoy the food and fun.