Your favorite small appliances.....what makes your life easier?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Last night as I was mixing up some PB oatmeal cookies I was longing for Obiwan (the nickname for my KitchenAid stand mixer - it's really O.B.One; Onyx Black One. He has the force. :wink:). Thought I was going to do things the quick and easy way, wasn't too bad with the hand mixer until I got to the stirring in of the oatmeal. Arms got a good workout though :smile2:.

So, OB-One, hands down, is my favorite small kitchen appliance.

Second would be my Euro-Pro convection toaster oven. Does all kinds of stuff, and makes perfectly crisp all the way through golden brown toast. I'll never have a pop-up toaster again.

Y'all have any in your kitchens that you especially enjoy?

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My George Forman Grill. Since I'm actively striving to get healthy and in shape,I like it because it does exactly what it says it will do. It knocks out the fat. Hamburgers are juicy but lean abd bacon is crispy but not dripping in fat. Now they have one with interchangeable plates I hope to get one of those some of these days. Thanks for asking!!:big_smile:Sister Pat

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't know if you consider it small or not, but my favorite is the dishwasher. Then the blender for mixing flour+milk for gravy==== lumpless. Then a small hand held mixer.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the only two I use around here frequently are the microwave ,and our new foodsaver sealer. I use the marinating bowl lots,it is a dandy time saver when making jerky,Which reminds me The dehydrator died with the last batch,gonna have to find a new one ,hopefully a lil bigger.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Mom's got one of those Jack Lelane juicers that will do a pumkin....the lights dim, and it scares me, but it's my favorite. I feel safer with a chainsaw. But I think men admire power.
    :smile2:

6. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    elec. knife hands down.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tanya, the best small appliance I use is better than the first lightning strike that created fire.

My microwave. I can take the lid off a can of soup, stick the can in the wave and in two minutes I got Martha Stewart and Oprah beat to the food. Nancy runs when I do that, something about "danger Mrs Robinson" but it seems to work well.

8. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    slow cooker with glass lid. the one that sits on a hotplate. we use that baby ALL the time from cookin to puttin bbqd stuff in to keep warm. you can put stuff in there and leave cuz with that glass lid the moisture will stay in and you dont have to worry bout burnin it up.:big_smile::cool2: secret: fill with country style ribs and leave for 8 hrs.come back and drain the grease and mix bbq sauce. melt inur mouth yum:smile2:

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Shewww! That's not what I thought this thread was about at all! Tanyas favorite......

OK, out of the gutter, I like a can opener. My teeth aren't what they used to be.

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well, my wife loves her slow cooker. Not just any slow cooker mind you; it has to be a West Bend Oblong: http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-84765-5-Quart-Oblong/dp/B0002JA1KI/ref=pd_ys_iyr25. You can read my review here under the pen name, "Amazon Jams"!

Now, my favorite small appliance is the VillaWare Tortilla and Flatbread Maker: http://www.amazon.com/VillaWare-V59...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1202156849&sr=1-12. It's been a few years since I have had to buy tortillas, and the homemade ones are unsurpassed!

11. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Ours would be our new convection oven, I love tv dinners and grilled cheese sandwiches, it works wonders. We haven't got the chance to try a lot of things with it yet but so far, we like it. We got it from The Home Shopping Network. Great price $49.99 + shipping

:002:

12. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    The one's most used at my house is the microwave and the can opener. Couldn't live without my industrial strength mixer thingie like Tanya's got too.
    But, my favorite by far is the little Rival ice shaver thingie that you pop a couple of ice cubes in and it shoots out shaved ice. Almost like snow. I love it.

13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My slow cooker is my favorite. Nothing like a deer roast with veggies thats been cooking all day um um good.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I enjoy several small appliances including electric can opener....electric meat grinder....george foreman grill....microwave oven....and especially my gevalia coffee pot. Need lots of coffee.:wink:

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have to agree with this one, the can opener. I'm old enough to remember the days before we had them and what a pain it was when you had to open a lot of cans.

16. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    mine personal favorite would have to be the keggerator!!!! whoever invented that is one smart guy. now if only i could talk my wife into getting one...........

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey joey!!! you nailed it.

a buddy of mine has a keggerator. we call it "essential hurricane survival gear". my close 2nd is the coffee maker. coffee is so much better when it is easy to make. lastly i like Amy. she is not really an appliance, but to date, i havent been able to create a cooking disaster that she cant fix.

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I think my fav is my "boat motor". Its a little hand mixer/chopper/pureer do-hickey-thing-a-ma-jig.

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Mine is the crock pot, I love the slow cooking. The jerky maker is my 2nd.

20. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    For me it would have to be my Bosch 1617 hand held router.:smile2: