Your Favorite River in North Carolina, and Why.....

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Catgirl, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

What is your favorite river to fish in NC? Why is it your favorite? IYO, where is the best fishing located on your chosen river? I've never really river fished before, just looking for some info. Thanks guys. :smile2:

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    catgirl ive never river fished before either but i can see an adavntage to doing it. most of the time there is some currnet and less pleasure riders but i dont know whats worse boats or snakes.....lol. i been thinking about trying it some to get in unpreassured water on some rivers anyway. maybe find a hidden gem of a catfish.

3. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    My favorite river to catfish is the Black River. Mainly because I dont have a boat and have to bank fish and there are more bank spots to fish that are close to home. I hope to have a boat one day and I am sure I will fish the Cape Fear alot more. There seems to be better catfishing in the Cape Fear.

4. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Definately the Neuse river near New bern.Its a great river to fish for catfish.You should really make a trip to the neuse Catgirl and try your luck for a huge flattie,i think you would enjoy it.Not sure if u have a boat or how far you are from new bern but we have good luck there quite often.Great post BTW :smile2:

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Tammee, that sounds like a lot of fun. Actually, the mom of my best friend from HS lives in New Bern. So something could possibly be worked out there, eh??? :big_smile: ROAD TRIP!!! Hope you can make it to the NC gathering on Lake Highrock Oct. 6-8, sister. :smile2:

6. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    I have fished the Neuse, Black and Cape Fear Rivers. To me none compare to the CF, of course I fish it the most. Have not caught much out of the Neuse, but I have only been a couple of times. Black River has some monsters in there, if you know where to find them and you can legally shock in certain areas.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I haven't fished any rivers here yet, but I am looking foward to fishing the upper Cape Fear soon.

8. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    agree with tammeej.....lower neuse is the best imo........grew up on the haw..fished the neuse , cape,haw, deep, roanoke, black and the tar for cats.....neuse is it......the dan is a close second.....now, the dan i actually catch more fish in, say cats from 5 - 20 lbs (the dan does give up mpnsters up to 60lbs, just not to me) but in the neuse i catch bigger fish....mack

9. dredgeman

dredgeman New Member

State:
    n.c.
    :0a20: I like to fish the pee dee river . It gives up alot of big fish!!!

10. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i fish the yadkin north of high rock fish may not be 2 big but there is plenty of them and some great scenery to.

11. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I fish the Great Pee Dee.Only problem jet drive is highly recommended.ALOT of big Blues & Flatheads in there.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have only fished Meherrin and Chowan Rivers mostly so far, but from what I've read and heard, Cape Fear River is the best.

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I like the neuse the best, its a great river. I have fished the CF about ten times and the biggest was about 21lbs. If your looking for a lot of fish over 25-65lbs the neuse is your river. I would have to say that 75% of the times I go fishing I catch a fish over 30lbs and a lot of times catch them in the upper 40's to mid 50's. I used to fish a lot by ft barnwell but mostly these days around new bern since I catch more there. I cant wait till next month when I can revive the old post called (the neuse is on fire) Awesome river.

14. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have to go with Jay on this the past year ther has been alot of big fish cout in the neuse.I have heard alot of peaple talk about cape fear but I have not seen the first pic.

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    There was an article in eithier Infisherman or NC sportsman magazine (don't remember which) this month that explained Cape Fear Blue Cats, had a picture of I think a 76lber, and a 45lber, and they were talking about all of the big fish caught there.

16. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Yeah I have it. This months In-Fisherman.

17. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    yadkin north of high rock. i know of a killer spot if your in a boat but other wise you have to fish from the bank. it has some nice bank spots too

18. Catfishnz4me

Catfishnz4me New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    favorite river to fish is the Eno River.. i love the eno b/c thats where i grew up.. if you catch something there ten pounds you are doing good... its nothing really to brag about big fish but i sure do love going there w/ dad and pops bringing back and sharing those good ole memories!

19. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    the neuse around smithfield, where else do you need a fourwheeldrive boat.:big_smile:

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I prefer to boat fish the Cape Fear river below Lock 2.
    The current is alot different below lock 2 then it is in the upper Cape Fear.

I do think that the Neuse holds the state record flathead(s) but so much of the Neuse is unboatable with motor driven boats.
    Its an underfished river because of lack of access.
    We've caught some nice fish off the Neuse but it has its price.
    The price is usually alot of hard work and alot of scouting on foot.