Your favorite "Perch"

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CamFish3210, Aug 2, 2006.

1. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    so when it comes to perch, there's (at least where i come from) bluegill, green sunfish, warmouths, and red-eared sunfish....ive been using red-ear's more than anything lately, a lot the bluegills i get are a little too large....so anyways, i just wanna know what everyones had their best luck on catching flatheads...i know it depends on the time and weather and all that but which ones have given you your most success?

P.S.- Whats your most successful way of hooking them for bait? (ex. nose, in front of dorsal, tail....)

2. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    sun perch all the way
    :cool2:

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Mine is rock bass even though here the only thing we call perch is drum.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

green sunfish aka greenies

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use whatever I can get. Most of what we get though is bluegill. A few sunfish and a few green's show up time to time.

Green's are probably the hardiest in my opinion. Ive left them on jugs all night and come back to them still alive.

I dont think other than the fact that some might be bigger, or hardier, that a flathead cares the difference. But im a novice to the flathead.

6. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    have to go with bluegill and white perch. Heads hooked through the eyes.

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would say #1 Shad..#2 Large Creek Chub, #3 Bluegill... I have had success with all these. The shad i hook through the eyes.. Creek chubs i hook through the eyes ( if dead already ) or tail if alive.( smaller creek chub i just thread on the hook ).... as for the the bluegill i cut off their top dorsel fin, then i descale one side of it ( and if its a large gill i will make a puncture wound in the side i scaled ) and hook it right behind where the dorsel fin was... and if they are dead i'll cut the large one in half ( hook the head through the eyes, and the tail by the tail.. I hope this helps you out. Sounds like alot of work but will soon come natural when you land a monster... Good luck and good fishing!!

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    the Philadelphia flatheads love red-breasted sunfish.

9. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Green Sunfish, We call them pond perch in this part of Tennessee.

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use what I catch in the river, which is mostly redbreast (about 2/3) and bluegills (1/3) and a few spotted sunfish. I can
    t say that I have noticed any difference in the catches with one over another.

By the way, what's a "SUN PERCH"?

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    My favorite "PERCH" is on the last stool at the bar in Hooters!:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: :roll_eyes: :eek:oooh: Sorry SPOON beat you to this one.:sad2:

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Green sunfish rocr bass:lol:

13. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    no perch is too big, the bigger the bait the bigger the fish.warmouth stay alive longer.

14. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    green ear or google eye perch seem to work the best for me

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    #1~ Common carp seems to get the biggest cats where I fish.
    #2~ Bluegill

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    as far as perch go i like big black perch over blue gill i think they stay alive better and put off more vibration they are shaped more like a carp then the blue gills are.

17. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    well up here around lake erie the word perch means a cooler full of the best eatin you can get :big_smile: :cool2:

18. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I have my best luck with Bluegills. If I'm using a gill that is 7" or over I hook just behind the dorsal fin. If I'm using a gill 6" or under I hook them closer to the tail. Bluegills are more abundant around here so in turn their a primary food source for flats. That's why they work better than others.

J

19. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

Especially if their Yellow Perch!!:cool2:

J

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Around here we have bluegills, red breast, red ear (shell crackers), warmouth, spotted sunfish (stumpknockers), and pumpkinseed. I mostly use bluegills, redbreast, and spotted - because that's mostly what I catch. Really don't see a difference between them when it comes to results.

Also like white perch (actual white perch, not crappie) when I can get them. They are great live baits, too.