Your Favorite OLD TV Show?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I miss the days of the 70's...when I was a young boy growing up on the farm in Kansas.

Back when Andy Griffith was on at 5:30 pm Sunday evening...following the World News with Walter Cronkite...on one of the only 3 channels we could get... which was then followed by Marlin Perkins and the "Wild Kingdom"...watch Jim wrestle the 40' python in a mudpuddle...as Aboriginies shoot poison darts at him through their blowguns...Oh Jim...OUCH!!! That's gotta hurt!!

And then "the Wonderful World of Disney" after that.

If I remember right..."Little House on the Prarie" was after that.

That Nellie was a flippin'...well...ahh...never mind...lol.

Grandma, grandpa, and myself would watch those old programs on the color tv we had in the kitchen during Sunday dinner when we actually sat down and had dinner together (A rarity today)...and afterwards...when the dishes were done...we resumed in the front room...viewing the old Admiral console set...you know...the one with the phonograph player, 8 track, and AM/FM stereo.

The white noise as grandpa played his old Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys 45's...."Roly Polly"..."Big Balls in Cowtown"..."Rose of San Antone"....It all sounded so fine.

I remember grandpa tokking on his old pipe as he sat in his easy chair by the fireplace...his bi-focal glasses resting half way down his nose as he read the paper...all misty eyed as he recalled some far away memory...occasionally garnering a chuckle as Hawkeye played some dirty trick on major Winchester...lol.

That old pipe sure smelled good...but it SURE didn't taste so hot when I tried it myself back behind the barn when he was out in the field...grandma was at work at the grocery store...and nobody was looking. :smile2:

Some of the shows are still on cable...TBS, TNT, TV Land...among others.

What are your favorite oldies?

Here's a couple I sorely miss...they were great old shows...

But I'm sure it also has something to do with a simpler time...one where the clock reaching 3 pm everyday during school was job #1...and the endless summers spent roaming the countryside hunting and fishing with my cousins...or an occasional "town" friend that would come to spend the weekend with me out on the farm.

Back when we rode horses, a bike, hitched a ride on the tractor...or simply walked...instead of riding ATV's.

We had to feed the cows and chickens...and then get washed up before a homemade dinner made from scratch...and there simply was no such thing as the internet, cell phones, video games...or even VCR's or microwaves for that matter. (At least not in our house)

Back when homework was done by looking things up in a book or the encyclopedia...Vs. a Google search as is the case today. (In hind sight...that would have been better...lol)

Days when not only hunting...but woodmanship was common place.

Fishing wonderful exotic places with 9 weight fly rods and heavy duty ocean rigs filled my mind after reading the latest issue of Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, or Fur Fish Game.

We had no idea we had it so good.

I guess that's what made life so great back then...a general lack of complexity....Sigh!

Oh yea...here's those TV trailers! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8FTPv955I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwp_CNPYv5g

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for taking me down memory lane Brian, great post buddy. I miss those days too.

I remember watching many episodes of "Hogan's Heroes" with my gran and grandaddy, right here in this house.

"Hogan's Heroes" and "The Wild Wild West" must've been his favorites.

The Wild Wild West Intro

[youtubevid]pYCgq8q9Ofw[/youtubevid]

3. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    CHEYENNE staring CLINT WALKER. When I was a kid, I thought he was the tallest man alive.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

They liked THIS one too.

Lost in Space (good tribute with info here)

[youtubevid]OepIWKoX3DM&feature=related[/youtubevid]

Lost in Space (network presentation)

[youtubevid]jP-s3OqCGhA&feature=related[/youtubevid]

5. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome back Kotter. Nice spoonbill man.

6. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Iam sure Iam the only person that remembers Winkie Dink.I even had the screen that you put on your TV to get secrit messages.And WINKIE DINK is the guy tahe told all of the kids watching to pull all of the knobs so your folks wont change the channel.That may not be right but it happened about that time in history.
    smokey

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    one of my fav. was "gillagin's island" and "the three stooges", "all in the family" was another good one, and i liked the old looney toon cartoons with the roadrunner, they don't make'um like they used to :cool2:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I was just getting ready to ask where's all the love for Gilligan's Island...:smile2:
    Gotta love that show!!!:roll_eyes::smile2:
    You're right on about the cartoons, they sure aren't anything like when I was growing up!:sad2:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Don't wanna admit this, but I've seen every episode of Little House On The Prairie and Leave it to Beaver.

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I remember all the shows that have been mentioned,and I agree it was a simpler time and folks did all set down to the dinner table together. My all time favorite show is "The Rifleman":smile2:

11. Lightnin_lane

Lightnin_lane New Member

State:
    tennessee/
    i still watch "Andy" bout every nite. I wish things could've stayed a little simpler myself.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tanya, Lost in Space was our girls favorite program.

Going back to my first routine tv watching in about 1956, Gunsmoke would be my favorite. I still like em. LOL

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

14. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I still like watching The Andy Griffith show, was and still to this day my favorite TV show of all time. Bonanza and Gunsmoke 2nd and 3rd

15. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    WHAT!! am I the only cowboy FAN did anyone else besides me watch SKY KING. I thought Penny was CUTE, and always wanted a ride in the SONG BIRD.

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Dukes of Hazzard & The Fall Guy

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Brian for bringing back old thoughts. I always like the humor of "Red Skelton".

18. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Have Gun, Will Travel

Branded

The Rifleman

Andy --Mayberry RFD

The Three Stooges

and my personal favorite....Dark Shadows....Was the only show that my Grandmother would stop what she was doing and watch and allow us to come in and watch and then we had to go back outside till supper.

19. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Sargent Preston of the YUKON with his dog KING. Thanks for bring up the old cowboys Cher. CHUCK CONNERS was another GIANT to me when I was a kid.

20. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    oh and I forgot F Troop I believe was the name of it....

our nights were spent watching whatever grandfather wanted to watch and he liked the westerns...He also watched Gunsmoke of course, which had all ready been mentioned.