Your favorite Jig

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Slatebar, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    As I have said in other threads. I am mostly a minnow under a bobber kind of guy. About the only time I use a jig is sometimes on the way back to the boat ramp after a day of fishing I will sometimes troll and sometimes jig fish around docks etc. But seems about every winter I will stock up on jigs and wind up giving the away come spring. This year is no different. But I have been trying to read up on every bit of info I can find of Crappie jiging and think I will really give it some time next spring. I have been looking at a jig called Crappie Knocker and some tubejigs,I plan to place an order soon. But I would also like to know some of your alls favorite "go to" jig so I maight give them a try. I have a few RoadRunners but have never had any success with them. I Probably fish them wrong.

2. festus

festus New Member

I like the Vegas Glitter Jigs by Northland. My favorite plastic body is the 2" Kalin's John Deere green curlytail. And I really like the Roadrunners also.

3. cvbaitman

cvbaitman New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have used a ton of jigs hal flies ,jiffy jigs, are two of my favorite preriged
    i use big bite bait , kalins are just a few of my favs in they are so many colors to use that the reason i have every color i find i keep ading to my boxes........i need more boxes every time i go fishing:big_smile:

4. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Panfish Assassin's under a float 1/16th oz jighead in multiple colors.Triple Tail Black/Chart, Pumpkinseed/Chart Triple Tail. 1"Swimmin Minnow in chartreuse, white,blue and white.This time of year its hard to beat a shiner.In the spring and summer I really do well with Jigs and swim baits.The Panfish Assassin under a float, pop it a little in and around grass beds it's hard to beat.It does well around structure to you can tight line it without a float just make sure when Jigging for crappie to always have your jig horizontal not up and down at the end of your line. If you can learn to catch fish on Jigs it's hard to go back to the shiner. the fishing is just faster and you can cover water faster.It takes time to learn to catch fish on Jigs but once you get it it becomes natural. Stick with it!

5. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    my favorite is the hal fly in black&blue,or red&green&yellow.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Roadrunners, have no specific way they have to be fished. I just cast out as far as possible and let it sink a min then steadily reel it back in... that little blade does all the work. I primarily get those yellow stripe but i'm not sayin crappie won't hit it. As far as real crappie gear I would just go to wally world and buy some colored jigheads 1/16th oz. may try a little heavier for trolling in deeper water especially if theres a good bit of current. Then some different colored tubes, which theres a spectrum of colors and varieties but the most sought after color tube and popular is the green/black. Other than that my 2nd and 3rd choice would be blue/white or red/white. Hope this helps brother and good luck catchin those crappie.

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'll also point out one last thing, a good affordable r&r setup for crappie which can also be bought at most walmarts is the shakespeare crappie hunter spinning combo. It's a 9' ul rod. Very good for yellow bass and crappie!

8. festus

festus New Member

Yeah AJ, those yellow bass will be back in full force in about 3 months. I caught triples several times last spring. I'd use 8 or 10 pound test and tie a 1/8 oz jig on the end of the line. Then I'd go up the line about 12" to 14" and tie on a 1/16 oz jig. Then I'd go back up another 12" to 14" and tie on a 1/32 oz jig. This rig casts great, but sometimes gets hung easily. Usually I catch on the average about a dozen yellow bass before I get a crappie, but it's fun.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like hair jigs in mixed sizes and colors. My favorite jig was a jig named Geronimo. I can't seem to find it any more. A jig that is close in shape is the Popeye jig. I like the sizes of 1/64-1/32-1/16 oz. I use a variety of head and body colors. I use a lot of tube jigs and a multitude of colors. I keep mixing and matching until the fish tell me their preference. Then I change all my jigs to that color. I have as much succcess with non painted jig heads as painted ones.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like mini tubes an sliders

11. festus

festus New Member

Mickey, I haven't seen the Geronimo jigs in a long time either, at least on the shelves. But you can still order them online here:
    http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/product.aspx?i=373536&h=060301007&p=4

Popeye jigs are also popular here. Lots of folks will use nothing else but a Popeye fly tipped with a small tuffie minnow. Another popular jig here is a Trout Magnet. They are very tiny and supposed to be a good crappie bait. But I've not had any luck with them, other than yellow bass and bluegill.