Your favorite Crappie river/lake

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Slatebar, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just wondering what lakes (not spots) or rivers is your favorite fishing waters. For numbers I would have to say the Ohio River, for quality fish I would have to say Deer Creek lake here in Ohio. But for just relaxing days and a mixture of numbers and quality I like Lake Weiss Al. I use to love Norris Lake Tn. But it has got so it is plagued by tournament fishing. Last few times there the fishing really sucked.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught some nice ones on the Muskingum River in the fall fishing for smallmouths, to actually target them, Dillon lake is a fine crappie lake, but Buckeye is a darn good one also. Espcially in the canal after ice-out! Goodluck in your quest. rollo

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Ky lake is my favorite anywhere around blood river or jonathon creek but most times I just fish on Lake Barkley around little river , energy or honkers bay.

4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Rollo, you are right about Buckeye (Ocean). I use to fish that lake often. Had good fishing for both crappie and stripers there.(I don't think I have fished there since I retired). Just don't go there on week ends :crazy:. I don't know why but have never got around to fishing Dillon, but I hear good things about it.

5. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Dennis, Ive never fished those 2 lakes but they look beautiful. I was over there a couple years ago Coyote hunting the LBL and they sure looked like great lakes to fish. Maybe someday :big_smile:

6. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Just let me know, I like fishing honkers bay in LBL or between the rivers as we call it in the spring.I am always up for a fishing day and will keep a seat open for you.

7. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thank you for that offer. Might just take you up on that. I sent you an im

8. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Lake o' the Pines in east Texas is hard to beat. If you leave without a limit it is because you didn't want one.

9. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I mostly fish rough river lake and nolin lake both are within minutes from home and they both have plenty of decent size crappies.I plan on fishin ky and barkely lakes this fall and next spring I would love to get in on some of those thick slabs they have.

10. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I like lake weiss the crappie capital in alabama

11. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have never seen any place better than Stonewall Jackson Lake in WV. Crappie are so plentiful and large they act like they're waiting on ya at the bus stop. Sometimes I think they'd jump right in the boat by themselves if the idea ever crossed their mind. Same thing for Bluegill too. Groups of people flock there year round and camp for a week just for them. Bass is ALL catch and release, but everything else is fair game.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would have to say Ky/Barkley lakes are my favorite. I have two nice Illinois lakes close to me that produce nice crappie. Crab Orchard and Lake of Egypt.

13. festus

festus New Member

Although there are much better crappie waters around, I chose Watts Bar Lake simply because I can drive there in 15 minutes. Number 2 would be Douglas Lake, it takes about an hour to get there.

14. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Festus, we fished Douglas and Cherokee a couple years ago. The water was really drawn down when we were there. Both lakes looked like they were at least 20 ft below full. Didn't get to fish much on that trip due to a real gully washer rain storm, I think it rained steady for about 3 days. I hope to fish it again some day for it really did look like a good lake.

15. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sshhhhh. That's supposed to be a secret. Actually, you're right. I have to agree with ya. Trouble is the secrets gettin' out. Each year we go there, the numbers of crappie are dropping off. The last couple of years the spawn has dropped off because of weird weather and floods. Hope things start going the other way one of these years.
    We've fished Weiss Lake in Alabama. Haven't managed to hit it right. It's a long way to drive for us and not catch any crappie. Last time we were down there, we fished for a week. If we had kept all of the fish we caught all week, we might have had enough for a small mess of fish.

16. festus

festus New Member

Yes Slatebar, Douglas can fluctuate 50 to 60 feet. It's a good crappie lake when you can hit it right, but we haven't been up there in years because it got to where on weekends it was eaten up with bass tournaments. If I go back, it will probably be in Feb/Mar to fish for sauger. I worked for the phone company one winter near the dam, and really love the area.

I don't know much about Cherokee Lake other than what a neighbor has told me about it.

17. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    Rood Creek off the Chattahochee River. When the spawn is on you can get in the mouth and it smells like a dumpster at a fish market. Fill a cooler with big slabs in an hour no problem with minnows.