Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
132 Posts
Most shot would be a Ruger 10/22 I picked up second hand maybe 30 years ago.Nothing special just a fun plinker.Most cherished would be my grandfathers Remington 511 Scoremaster he picked up second hand right after returning from WW2.When I was a kid my cousin had a Browning SA 22 that I absolutely loved but really couldn't justify since my grandfather had bought me a little Remington bolt action again second hand from a farmer who lived down the road for $5 if I recall correctly.I loved that little short barreled 22,wish I could remember the model but I refinished it years ago and passed it down to my son,but that Browning just wouldn't let go.A couple years ago a friend of mine had an uncle pass.The son flew in from Cali and set up an auction for biggest majority of his dad's stuff.........all except the guns.One buyer wanted them all except for that little 22 sitting in the corner.........he just had no use for a rimfire.My friend called me and told me about the rifle.........it in fact was a Browning SA 22 made in 1963 and not a scratch.........mint condition.He asked his cousin what he wanted and he said any reasonable offer.I offered $375 and was in Denton the next weekend picking it up.Best deal I ever got into on a gun.......EVER!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
My favorite growing up was a Remington Speedmaster 552. Way back when, a brick of .22 ammo was under 10 bucks and I could blow through one in a weekend. Being able to throw in a mixed handful of shorts, longs, and long rifles was a rare treat. With shorts I could head shot tree rats out to 50 yards without issue. The fall before I got my driver's license I brought home so many squirrels my mom made me quit hunting. Good memories, but I ruined that gun. Was goofing off seeing how fast I could run of a tube of shells and one was a semi-dud and didn't clear the barrel before the next one fired. Split the barrel at the muzzle and blew the front sight off. I sent the it back to Remington and paid to have the barrel replaced, but it was never as accurate with the second barrel. I still have the gun, but it doesn't get used much.

Now, my favorite is a Marlin M99 that my dad passed on to me a few years ago. That one has a lot of memories too, it was his gun when I was growing up, and was the one he carried when teaching me how to hunt. Some of the shots he made with it are too unbelievable to share(and may be tinted by the glasses of memory).

4 Posts
I like probably most of you have had a bunch of 22 rifles in my life, a few good ones were my old marlin 39a that I should have kept, had a particular Ruger 10/22 that was a good'un above average, my daughters cricket single shot which was her first gun, a host of model 60's that just worked but as much as it hurts me to admit this my Norinco JW 15 is my favorite. It's a 🇨🇳 copy of a cz 452 which of course is a copy of the Brno #2 & it's is beyond accurate. I have brought home many a $20 bill with it outshooting lot's of expensive target.22's at our range here. It's got a 1lb trigger so it's not for kids but it's just one of those guns you can't miss with. It's a $100 Pawn shop meat gitter and my favorite .22 of all time I will eventually put a better scope on it but not until the old cheap-o Simmons quits

What's your favorite .22?
I have quite a collection of 22’s something like 20 or so I really love em all my favorite is the first one I bought for myself around age 35 a marlin 39 TDS short and snappy great little squirrel rifle but I love my ruger 7722 and my twin marlin model 75 c carbines and the savage favorite model 72 they all shoot great for me as well as the Winchester 94/22 too

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
The Marlin 101 Micro Groove single shot is probably my favorite, but I also have a Stevens Springfield model 15 single shot that has worked great for a long time. I really like single shot .22 cal rifles.
View attachment 330684 View attachment 330685
D,
Dude, that workbench is waaaay too neat! That must be a sign of some sort personality disorder. I mean you can see the top of the bench 😳…!!!

Actually, I’m really jealous. I dont want to say my bench is a mess, but when you have to sort thru things to find your 18” Stihl chainsaw, it does seem the “disorder “ has gotten out of hand🥴.

Nice rifles!

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny Dollar, post: 3428200, member: 20526
Actually, I’m really jealous. I dont want to say my bench is a mess, but when you have to sort thru things to find your 18” Stihl chainsaw, it does seem the “disorder “ has gotten out of hand🥴[/QUOTE]

I live in a rural farming community, been in a lot of my neighbors shops and in my observations there are a lot more of benches like yours and mine than the well-organized ones.
Gotta add to my favorites list: Marlin 99M-1 and M-2, kind of for forgot they were in the back of the safe till I saw others mention theirs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had an old Stevens M246 bolt action tube fed rifle that I killed a few hundred squirrels with when I was a kid. Squirrel hunting was the only hunting I ever did back then and I hunted pretty much every day that I could after school and all weekend when my chores were done.
I worked hard for $5 a week but Winchester wildcats were a buck a box at the local hardware store and the folks there never thought a thing about a 12 year old buying .22 shells. I used to keep a few in my jeans pocket at all times. (Sort of a pacifier I guess )
I’d give any gun I have to have that old rifle back. I sold it to a buddy when I bought a new 10/22 which I absolutely hated. Now I’m shooting an old Marlin M25 that shoots lights out but will never come close to killing the number of critters my old stevens did.
If I could only own one gun it would be a .22 rimfire hands down. Lately I’ve felt the urge to forgo archery season and spend my time chasing bushytails again……. I truly might!

·
Registered
668 Posts
D,
Dude, that workbench is waaaay too neat! That must be a sign of some sort personality disorder. I mean you can see the top of the bench 😳…!!!

Actually, I’m really lly jealous.dontdont want to say my bench is a mess, but when you have to sort thru things to find your 18” Stihl chainsaw, it does seem the “disorder “ has gotten out of hand🥴.

Nice rifles!
This photo was taken when I first built that workbench. I built it basically to have a dedicated place to build AR-15's and work on my other firearms. Believe me, it's not that clean now.😆

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 4 .22 rifles
My original a 1963 Winchester 77 clip fed. Thousands of rounds through it. Next my Browning .22 Auto, loads through the stock with 4 power Redfield. Very accurate
Couldn’t live without a Remmington fieldmaster pump that has the best piece of walnut I have ever seen on a .22
Then my Marlin Papoose takedown, also clip fed in the red zippered bag. Very light and very accurate. Bought it for $100 at a gun show one day because I hadn’t spent enough money!

All that said the best .22 over all that I’ve owned is the Remington 550. A big gun a .22, very accurate, shoots all three rounds even mixed up. I’ve had 4 of them ans sold them all. and would buy another if the right one comes along. My brother has the family original. So that’s a good thing.
First .22 I killed a rabbit and a squirrel with was a borrowed Winchester 74 auto with feed through the stock. That was better than 60 years ago.
The 77 I bought when I was in the 9th grade at the local coast to coast. I was working after school in a filling station and had saved about enough money to order one through the local coast to coast store. It was October and the World Series was going on. The guys at the gas station had a $10 pool on the final score of the ball game each day. I won three pools which netted me $27. A fortune when you worked for 75 cents an hour. The gun and the case and a cleaning kit cost just under $50.
thw vinyl case went to hell years ago but I still have the tin box Outers cleaning kit and the rifle. I bought several extra clips when they were available for $2.25 each. For Christmas one year my brothers gave me a Weaver 3-6 scope. I was even more deadly then. Shells through the station were $5.00 a brick and I got a 10% discount. I’d shoot up a brick in about 2 weeks. They were Federals and pretty dirty. Lots of Cleaning!.. later I converted to Remington Golden Bullets, solids.
There is not a man alive who could carry the rabbits and squirrels I shot with that rifle.
Theoleman

·
Registered
184 Posts
My custom 10-22 l built. Kidd custom barrel with brake and Match 22LR chamber, Kidd parts trigger l built and tuned. Breaks at 2lbs. Polished bolt and extended/knurled charging handle. Extended POW/MIA magazine release, Fajen Barracuda stock. With Eley 10X match ammo will shoot 5shot 1/2" groups at 100yds consistently. Longest shot was a grey squirrel head shot off my wood pile at a lasered 121yds. 1 shot drop.

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts