Your definately not going to believe this!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by don3778, Dec 1, 2007.

1. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Your definately not going to believe this!
    I moved this thread from Local Arkansas Talk to here to see if anyone else has ever seen anything like this.

Ok, today my Dad (Dad is 84 yrs old and still going strong) and I went to a local south Arkansas lake to catch some crappie. The wind was pretty strong today but we were planning on fishing a little cove outta the wind that we had caught crappie out of before. When we got there we tried the place that we were planning on catching fish but, no bite. The water is only 3 to 4 feet deep in most places in this cove but there is one place where the water falls off to about 6 to 6 1/2 feet. We had fished all around the place and were just about ready to go try somewhere else but I decided to take my float off and try fishing right on the bottom. I caught one or two, then a few more outta the same spot. The wind was blowing from every direction and it was hard to keep the boat in the right place. I finally put us out a marker bouy and we really started catching fish. We were catching bream and crappie outta the same hole. We were doing pretty good. Then I hung a fish and he got wrapped around a limb just before coming outta the water. I could see the water boiling up as he was trying to free himself. I finally had to pull the line and break the limb off and unhang my hook, and of course I lost the fish. I got my hook loose and threw the limb back into the water. A few seconds later I could still see the water boiling up like there was still something going on down there. I told my Dad I bet that there was one of those gators down there catching him some of those fish we had been catching, but the water just kept boiling more and more till there was a boil about 6 feet around. Now my couriosity was getting the better of me. Then I started to see fish breaking the top of the water like you see shad do sometime, then more and more fish started breaking right in the middle of this boil. Mind you all this is taking place less than ten feet from the boat. I told Dad I thought that I saw a crappie in the middle of the boil, then another and another. I thought, must be shad down there and the crappie are feeding on them. I got closer and all I could see was crappie, I couldn't believe it, I have never seen anything like this in all my life. There was no shad visible. They were right there beside the boat. Now here's the part your not gonna believe. I reached down and picked up the landing net, reached over the side of the boat and slowly diped up under the fish. I came up with 10 to 15 crappie and bream at the same time. I couldn't believe it. I dumped them in the box and did it again with the same result. We folded up our poles and started leaving because the box was full. I looked back as we were leaving and I could still see the fish boiling up. Now, have any of you ever seen or heard of anything like that?

don3778

2. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    That is amazing. I don't know much about crapie fishing but I bet that is pretty rare to see. It'll be interesting to watch this thread and see what other people say about this.

3. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I am curious to as to what happened.I have seen fish doing that before but a school of bait fish met a school of nice size bluegill.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Nope, never seen nothing like that in Missouri. I'd imagine there would be a hefty fine to go along with it...

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I have seen them break like that here in the late spring, never close enough to net them but catch one on a jig every cast until they stop feeding, and when we cleaned them they were full of fry and grass shrimp. this was also in 6-7 feet of water. have also had times when the big gills would clear the water after the may flies. when there are millions of them on the water.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have seen this happen a few times on Lake of Egypt, here in So. Illinois.The gills were working over a hump that rose to 4 ft. The hump droped off to 20 and 30 ft on the sides.I'm not sure what they were feeding on. It lasted for several minutes each time they came up.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Kinda reminds me of a time that I was fishing a trout lake at night, when there was a trout feeding-frenzy in water about a foot deep. I shined a light on them to see what they were feeding on, but couldn't spot anything. :eek:oooh:

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    next time get some video,sound pretty neat to see.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm surprised thats legal in your state! It 's sure not legal here in Pa.!

10. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Ok, here's an update. We went back yesterday to the same spot. We started out fishing deep just like last time. Fished all around just like before and no bite. Then we notice muddy water in a spot not 15 feet from where we were fishing. Then we could see the boil starting again. We started catching fish shortly after. We couldn't catch fish out of the boil and saw very few fish actually breaking the water and what we did see looked like shad. We caught mostly bluegill but a few crappie. Caught several fish after jerking at a bite and missing then foul hooking another fish on the way up. Caught several shad the same way. We got there and fishing by 9:30am and was loaded up and headed home by 1:pm with a legal limit of bream and a few crappie. Still baffeling to me as to why they are stacking up like that in this one hole. And no guys I never picked up the net this time. It was all legal.

11. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I have never seen crappie or bream do that. But I have seen hybird bass do it while I was fishing on degray lake in the spring but thay were schooling and catching shad.

12. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Todays report!

I talked to my Dad today on the phone while I was driving to Shreveport. He and a friend from church went back today. I asked him how they did. He said they only caught about 77, mostly bream. I asked him what happened. He said "Didn't have my partner there", kinda chocked me up but anyways he said his friend tried fishing with jigs and kept getting hung up all the time, and would try to unhang his jig by pulling the line tight and putting his pole down under the water where he was hung up trying to dislodge the jig. Well, thats ok if you have to do that every now and then but not every 2 minutes. Anyway we are supposed to go back Friday. Oh yea, he said he did still see the boiling just like before but just not as big.

don3778

13. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Judy and I went down to Nickajack Dam Monday just riding around to see if anyone was fishing. We were across the river and saw something that looked like the water sorta white capping a little in one spot. We looked closer and it was fish running just under the water. These were big fish and I mean big. It looked like they were running like salmon do just under the water, anyone have any idea what they were? I know they weren't skips because they were way too big for skips. They were in an area about 30 feet wide by about 50 feet long and nowhere else. The water is about 12 feet deep where they were.

Could that have been an underground spring where you and your dad saw the action?

14. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Never heard of anything like this. Would have been something to see.

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    :crazy::crazy::crazy: He found loch ness at last! :tounge_out:

16. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Never seen or heard of anything like that.....But I have seen all kinds of schoolies......Once saw a huge school of Blues at the bubling wells on Toledo Bend chashing shad and I'm Talking HUGE Blues,.....I was fishin in a Ba$$ tournement ..........

17. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Well, we went back today, didn't see the boils of fish like we have been but still had a good day. We kept 100 bluegills and 38 crappie. We fished from about 9:30 till 2:00pm and dad still wasn't ready to go, lol. He has always loved fishing and its still such a thrill to him to catch fish even though he has caught more in the last three or four years than most of us will catch in our lifetimes. He loves it. We caught all of our fish out of the same hole as before, about the size of small car.

don3778

Attached Files:

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a very nice haul.

19. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds like some kinda discharge area to me....the way that the fished are stacked......maybe warm water from a nearby plant of some sort

20. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    It seems you definately have a good spot there. With all of the bream hanging around there I wonder if that might attract some big flatheads at night?