Your definately not going to believe this!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by don3778, Nov 29, 2007.

1. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Ok, today my Dad (Dad is 84 yrs old and still going strong) and I went to a local south Arkansas lake to catch some crappie. The wind was pretty strong today but we were planning on fishing a little cove outta the wind that we had caught crappie out of before. When we got there we tried the place that we were planning on catching fish but, no bite. The water is only 3 to 4 feet deep in most places in this cove but there is one place where the water falls off to about 6 to 6 1/2 feet. We had fished all around the place and were just about ready to go try somewhere else but I decided to take my float off and try fishing right on the bottom. I caught one or two, then a few more outta the same spot. The wind was blowing from every direction and it was hard to keep the boat in the right place. I finally put us out a marker bouy and we really started catching fish. We were catching bream and crappie outta the same hole. We were doing pretty good. Then I hung a fish and he got wrapped around a limb just before coming outta the water. I could see the water boiling up as he was trying to free himself. I finally had to pull the line and break the limb off and unhang my hook, and of course I lost the fish. I got my hook loose and threw the limb back into the water. A few seconds later I could still see the water boiling up like there was still something going on down there. I told my Dad I bet that there was one of those gators down there catching him some of those fish we had been catching, but the water just kept boiling more and more till there was a boil about 6 feet around. Now my couriosity was getting the better of me. Then I started to see fish breaking the top of the water like you see shad do sometime, then more and more fish started breaking right in the middle of this boil. Mind you all this is taking place less than ten feet from the boat. I told Dad I thought that I saw a crappie in the middle of the boil, then another and another. I thought, must be shad down there and the crappie are feeding on them. I got closer and all I could see was crappie, I couldn't believe it, I have never seen anything like this in all my life. They were right there beside the boat. Now here's the part your not gonna believe. I reached down and picked up the landing net, reached over the side of the boat and slowly diped up under the fish. I came up with 10 to 15 crappie and bream at the same time. I couldn't believe it. I dumped them in the box and did it again with the same result. We folded up our poles and started leaving because the box was full. I looked back as we were leaving and I could still see the fish boiling up. Now, have any of you ever seen or heard of anything like that?

don3778

2. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    That's a first for me, I would love to see that just one time. Kind of a reenactment of when Jesus told the fishermen to cast thier net on the other side of the boat, and thier nets were full of fish.lol

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Don,
    Now that is some real life fishermen's luck! I can just imagine the mess you all must have pulled out of there! The closest I ever came to that was when my son and I along with a buddy found a stretch of the Colorado that was drying up. The way it was drying caused some fish to get stuck in a few deep holes that were otherwise cut off by dry land. At first we thought that I was just carp in there but after fishing it we started catching bass using top water lures. We were catching them left and right on almost every other cast. My son has been hooked on fishing every since!!!

4. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    I swear its the truth, and no I wasn't drinking or smoking anything! lol

don3778

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Is that legal in Arkansas?

6. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Probably not, but, I never professed to be a saint either, did I?

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im no expert by any stretch but I wonder if it would affect the species population adversly as long as everyone doesnt do it? I once read an article that encouraged anglers to keep the panfish they catch due to the high levels of reproduction the in the spring?

I dont think that many of us can say that we come across huge boils of fish like that?

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ive seen stripers & wipers boiling on baitfish but never crappie. but hey why should the bigger predators have all the fun??

9. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Ok, here's an update. We went back yesterday to the same spot. We started out fishing deep just like last time. Fished all around just like before and no bite. Then we notice muddy water in a spot not 15 feet from where we were fishing. Then we could see the boil starting again. We started catching fish shortly after. We couldn't catch fish out of the boil and saw very few fish actually breaking the water and what we did see looked like shad. We caught mostly bluegill but a few crappie. Caught several fish after jerking at a bite and missing then foul hooking another fish on the way up. Caught several shad the same way. We got there and fishing by 9:30am and was loaded up and headed home by 1:pm with a legal limit of bream and a few crappie. Still baffeling to me as to why they are stacking up like that in this one hole. And no guys I never picked up the net this time. It was all legal.

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    It could be some sort of nutrient release in that area. I was on a small lake one time in a small boat and all of a sudden the water started boiling up until it was nearly 2 foot above the level of the rest of the water, scared the crap outa me, had no idea what was goin on, I did some research on such boils and it turned out to be gas release from the vegetation on the bottom. I didnt know what was goin on or what was gonna happen bein in a small boat I didnt hang around to find out. :eek:oooh::smile2:

11. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    No, Little Mac you not getting the picture right here. The boil I am seeing is fish working just under the water, fanning their tails, not big fish but lots of bream, crappie and shad all in one big wad. They move around in about a 50 ft. area. Never seen it anywhere else except on this lake and only at this one spot on this lake.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That would be a site to see. It'd be really hard for me not to get a net and start netting them. I could have tons of cut bait for later and a few nice meals. Try getting a pic if you see this again.

13. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    That would be a site to see. Never had that happen to me either. Don, I noticed you have'nt let the name of that lake out yet....:roll_eyes:.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Newton , thats Arkansas version of lake X :smile2:.

15. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    CNTRYBOY, Your right, I haven't. Its a small private lake and the last two times we went there we were the only people on the lake. Dad has gone back today and taken a friend from church there. I'll let you know how they do tomrrow when I find out.

don3778

16. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Ok, I gotta ya now. They must of been workin hard on a bait ball. I see that on the local lake That I see from my house, using binoculars I see round,oblong areas that are moving and the rest of the lake is like glass. I figure it to be bait moving and fish in a feeding frenzy. its neat.

17. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    I've seen some pretty good bites going in freshwater but nothing quite like that. I just had a thought though. It comes from info that I read here.
    You said the wind was blowing ? I guess wind has a tendency to push the tiny critters fish like to eat( I wanna say planketon but dont know if that would apply to fresh water? ) in the direction its blowing. If you had a hole there then the wind may have pushed the food there and it was being concentrated in that hole? Just a thought

18. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Iv'e seen sand-bass do it on several ocassions,,,,could be fixing to eat some bait or could be do-in a "little" breeding:oops: Seen em' do it on baited holes too. It is a sight to see though:smile2:

19. martomhan

martomhan New Member

State:
    Texas
    Would be a treat to see something like that. I've fished many years and never seen anything like that. Thanks for telling us about it.