Your deer caliber of choice?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by nralover, Jan 15, 2010.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    What is your pick? I am just curious to see what everyone relies on....

BTW, after using slugs and a variety of centerfires, I always return to a Marlin 336 in .30 WCF or .35 Remington....

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Can't go wrong with a .270 Win or 30-06. They are my favorites.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I use several calibers and rifles for hunting antelope, deer and elk..

I've used everything from a .243 Winchester to .375 H&H.

but, the tool I pick usually for these animals, is my Winchester Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag. Loaded with 160 gr Noslers, or 160 Barnes X bullets. It's killed them all.!!

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    12 gauge is my caliber of choice. No rifles allowed here, except muzzleloaders......during that season its my .50 cal inline.

5. James Bentley

James Bentley Member

State:
    N.C.
    7-Mag,o-how I love this one,I have a rifle made by Herters,its has some age but so do I,has a Dugless barrel.

6. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Same here,a 12 ga definitly gets the job done at distances under 100 yrds!:clap:

7. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    .50 caliber with 100 grains 777 pushing a round ball

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Personally if i use a 300 win mag unless i am doe hunting, then i will goto a smaller caliber. usually a 30-30 or .270 depending on how i am hunting them. we have so many does its not much of a challenge, if i want meet i can kill all i want with my bow.

9. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    when i lived in new york had a rem 308 and a marlin 30-30 used the marlin more could put 5 in her and that was enough easy to carry we hunted alot of thick woods

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Been using a 243 for 32 years now,Works great for me.

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    100gr. NAP Hellrazor broadhead with a 28" Easton Axis arrow.

Works for me!!:wink::good:

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    1. choice My goto 30-06 about the best for recoil verses knockdown power and bullet selection it kills deer.
    I have never had to track a deer hunting with a 06

2. Marlin 336C in the ol 30-30 -- this rifle has killed more deer than any other caliber in the USA. I have lost 2 deer hunting with this one over the years.

3. 50cal muzzle loader easy to use and drops em hard. Never had to track a deer with it.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    What he said!! LOL

I'd rather bow hunt!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  14. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    25/06 is my go to deer rifle, although the .260 Rem. looks really interesting.

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been considering looking at the .260 as well. I have a friend who bought an M77 youth rifle chambered in .260 Rem., and it's a cool gun. From what I've read, it has better ballistics than a .308. There's tons of bullet weights for the 6.5 too.

About anything will kill a deer. I really enjoy shooting them with my .300 Win. Mag. :sigarette::cloudy::cloudy::laugh1:

16. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My wife bought it for me in 1985 :cowboy:

17. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i have to agree with troy and the '06. never had a deer run after hitting him with the 30-06.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have been shooting a weatherby .30-06 for 10 years now, and have killed loads of pigs and deer with it. i have only lost one deer, and that was my fault. i have seen several different calibers used for deer that were devastating, and bullets are being made better all the time. next year i will be breaking out the .44 pistol for the closer shots, just for s&g. i love the bowhunting as well.

19. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Be very carefull with bullet selection and shot placement with the .44 Mag. Last year, a buddy of mine shot a button buck with his Ruger .44 Mag. The deer was on the move, and the shot was just behind the ribs. Long story short...the bullet passed through and did not expand, and did very little damage. He was using hollow points of some sort. I happened to find 1 tiny drop of blood, and tracked the deer down, and finished it off with my rifle. When the deer was dressed, there was no internal damage. I know it sounds strange, but I'm possitive the deer would have survived if it would have escaped. We pretty much had it pinned down in a hedge row with no place to go. Not saying it's a bad choice...and like anything else, shot placement is critical. You can test the expansion qualities of handgun bullets by soaking a few phone books in water, and trying to shoot through them...or get some ballistics gel, lol. I was just very surprised that the bullet did not expand. To harvest a deer with a handgun would be WAY cool.

20. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    The .260 looks great to me as well, but only a few companies chamber rifles for it. I have considered a 7mm-08 as an alternative, and there isn't much of a difference between the two. Both use a 140 grain load out of the .308 case, with great penetrating qualities in a flat shooting, easy recoiling rifle. The 7mm-08 can be had in just about any brand gun whether you want a synthetic stock 300.00 economy gun, or a 1000.00 walnut masterpiece.