Your chosen 3-way swivel for Santee, bumping and/or dragging?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Mosquito Creek Crawler, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:58 PM.

1. Mosquito Creek Crawler

Mosquito Creek Crawler Member

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Larry
    swivel rosco.jpg swivel brass band.jpg swivel cross line.jpg swivel cross line beaded.jpg I've been watching vids and reading up on many of the techniques that use the Santee rig for bumping, dragging and drifting. Most use a 3-way swivel and several have commented that they want to have the main line and weight along the same plain. Of course I've bought several packs of the Walmart offered Eagle Claw brass band style 3-ways that don't pull a straight line for any tie on!! Now I'm thinking the Rosco style is probably the best choice for the main line to sinker arrangement and the secondary swivel running to my hook leader.
    What's everyone using? I did a search and found lots of info on weights, but nil on the swivels.

About the only thing I will be doing is dragging the flats and lake edges for Flats and Channels in 4' - 15 ' of water. I plan to use 3 poles, "my limit" 1 central mounted on transom and 2 on the back corners trailing via planer boards.

Mac-b and Fate like this.
  2. Fate

Fate Active Member

State:
    Missouri (Poplar Bluff)
    Name:
    Fate Murray
    The top left hand side one (first one)...

Mac-b, IllinoisMatt and glimsty like this.

3. green_neo

green_neo Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Chuck
  4. snakedog

snakedog Active Member

State:
    Lost Bridge
    Name:
    Karl
    The one on the right. Good prices on Ebay.

Mac-b likes this.
  5. Mosquito Creek Crawler

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Larry
    Looks like the one of the R would offer some free play on the leader.
    I had the swivels named when I saved the pics, but I guess it doesn't show up when submitted like I did. Still learning things around here. Great board!!

Mac-b likes this.
  6. tommeboy

tommeboy Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Thomas
  7. Mosquito Creek Crawler

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Larry
    Thanks for the reminder tommeboy. That's how I finished out last falls fishing. Rigging a 3-way w/a sinker slide and 8/0 circle w/ live Bullhead. I was bank fishing for Flats in a small spillway pool and wanted the fish to be able to run w/ it. The dam is about 60' across and the pool is about 100' across.

I was fishing the slack water using a Carolina rig, but lost a couple complete rigs due to rocks. I know I caught 1 Flat that was 8lbs. Water temp was 56.
    I went back about 5 days later using the 3-way in hopes I would only lose my sinker if hung up. My leader to weight was 12" and leader to hook was 30". Same bait, but didn't even get a strike. Water temp was down to 52. River was moderate flow like before. Don't know if it was too cold, just not hitting or if the rig allowed my bait to much movement? I thought maybe I needed to shorten both leaders some. That was first part on Nov and turning even colder so I quite for the yr.
    I was using a home cast pyramid weight which I read was good for rocks. I think it's supposed to land on a rock crevice at worst, but not fall through.
    Of course I have to reel it in from the bank dragging it over rocks which is probably bad. I started walking from the pools edge up the dam side bank to reel in so I was about 15' above the water surface. This made reeling in much easier.
    Appreciate all the advice on this board as I'm really a newbie to most of this.

green_neo and Mac-b like this.