Your chance to tell the PFBC what you think

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by kenlaw76, Jan 5, 2009.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
  2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Tell them to legalize castnets.

Make goldfish and carp legal to use.

Tell them to make the flathead a official gamefish.

Put limits on catfish.

Quit wasting money on stocked trout.

American shad, hickory shad, and striped bass are not endangered.

And stocking musky in PA doesn't work.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :crazy: I'm going to disagree with several of these points! Do you want this to be a Catfish only state? Large portion of the Trout stocking money comes from the purchase of Trout stamps. The many Trout streams of Pa are beautiful places to fish. A lot of kids get their introduction into the fishing world Trout fishing. Sure, its not for everyone and its not like reeling in a monster Flathead but I believe it still has its place. Them Steelhead you caught this year were stocked in the Erie tribs by the fish commission! Now for the mighty Muskie! The Tiger Muskie will not reproduce in the wild so stocking is the only way to keep a population going. I know a few guys who are diehard Muskie anglers the same way many of us are with Cats. Not sure why you feel stocking Muskies don't work but the species is available in many waters in the western part of the state and have a loyal following!

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I have to agree strongly with Scott about trout. Its not ALL of PA's fishing. but IT IS important. It sets us apart from Ohio and Kentucky, which always will have better warmwater fishery. and outside of the RIVER; the mighty skuke. no other place in PA could compare to the great catfishery's of the south and midwest.

I didn't see PA floated in that last thread about What state is the best for catfish. and its not going to either.

PA should be about diversity. in my neck of the woods, you can go from bass to catfish to BIG trout to musky, and back to walleye and ALL in the same river. Thats cool. now we need to encourage all our anglers (including the hopeless walmart buying ones) to appreciate PA's diversity and we can interest the masses bring in money and really "improve our aquatic resources"

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't wanna start an argument here, but the trout stockings by the PA Fish Commission is a mockery to the sport of trout fishing. Many expert trout fisherman catch 6 rainbows in one day with thier expensive flyrods and exqusite flies and I can catch 10 rainbows in 5 minutes with canned corn? Where I grew up, if you caught a trout, you would considered a town hero.

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Welcome to the biggest debate in fishing; "Quality vs Quantity"

my point is that if we don't give people quantity, Weekend warriors and kids will not overnight become expert fly fishermen... they will stop fishing and the commission will have much less $$$ to manage what we all love.

Rather, I would like to PA to foster DIVERSE fisheries where you can fish for wild 20" inch monsters with leafhoppers that can barely be seen on some limestone run OR head to less fertile ground nearby, and fight the crowds for your corn fed rainbows.

to some extent PA is already like this. But NOt if PFBC decides to 'protect aquatic resources', stop stocking and let quantity plumet in favor of trophy fisherys where only the most equipped anglers catch.

again big debate, so not everyone will agree with me. thats ok. :roll_eyes:

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I agree I like the diversity I like catching carp catfish bass I never really enjoyed stocked trout too small too weak no fight I like a fight I also agree with Tan on making carp legal for bait they are so plentiful everywhere they could never become endangered jmo

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here's another example of the Fish Commission wasting money. They seem to think by wasting millions of dollars biulding fish ladders so andromonous species like american shad, hickory shad, and striped bass can get up the river and spawn. They seem to think this will replenish the river with these species. Low and behold, they didn't figure in the Flathead Factor. Most of those shads coming up river will see it's last days in the jaws of an invasive-predator species called pylodictus olivaris. So in actuality, the fish ladders are just dinner bells for flathead catfish.

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    and it is also the gateway for the invasive predator to spread even more isn't it great!!!!!:smile2::smile2:hopefully right up my alley

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    those shad should fatten up the flatheads, just think in a few years maybe 50-60#er's will be common:0a32:

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I do not wish to cause an arguement over Trout fishing either! My point in my other post was directed at your comment about the Fish Commission wasting money stocking Trout when in fact trout anglers buy a stamp which pays for these fish. Trout fishing as a sport is what you make of it! You can buy that expensive fly rod and tie your own flies and match the hatch, etc. You can sit there with a zebco 202, a can of corn and catch fish right after a stocking. I personally enjoy wading the mountain streams, enjoying the beauty of nature, matching wits with a wary Trout that wasn't stocked yesterday. My earliest fishing trips as a young kid were with my uncle going for Trout in the Allegheny National Forest. I hold those memories very dear to my heart and Trout fishing is something I will enjoy till they bury me! I like the seasons, winter and early spring find me chasing Trout at least some of the time. Come May I turn my attention to Cats and other river species. I guess my bottom line is I love to fish and Trout fishing is part of my routine! :cool2:

12. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i love fishing period. i will fish for whatever, whenever in all kinds of weather.

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Me to brother! I like to catch trout, bass, crappie, gills, carp, walleye, shad and suckers then use them for bait :cool2:.:smile2: