Your biggest slump?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by smhmc6, Jun 24, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    How long has your guy's longest slump been? I am having the worst slump i've had in a while. And not just me, but my fishing buddies too. It has to have been 3 if not 4 weeks. I'm just targeting the little eater channels (to me, the easy ones to catch) at the same ponds that have produced for me time and time again. I know there are fish there... they just stocked them recently. I've tried shad, liver, worms,which is what has produced for me in the past (and all at once)... pretty much the top 3 channel cat baits for all I know. I've tried different locations, in close to the bank, out far, tight line, loose line... this is killing me. The thing is I'm getting at least 5 bites every time I go, sometimes little nibbles and sometimes like tonight they hit it really hard... but every time they hit it once and just seem to leave. I know i'm not using too big of hooks. Now this year we have got way more rain then normal, but still I fee like I've been going enough to at least catch a few. Don't get me wrong... its not all about catching fish for me and I really just enjoy being outdoors, but I am one bewildered, frustrated, and most of all discouraged fisherman.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey steve i am in the texas panhandle. our channels are just starting to get good again, i guess they are coming off the spawn. i have been catching males that look like they haven't eaten in awhile. try targeting shallow water with heavy cover. that has been paying off for me lately. also the little feeder creeks that i wouldn't normally fish have been producing. i am using cut carp on a size 4 circle, either marinated with garlic or just the fish blood.
    just keep doing what you're doing, you'll get back into em!

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. I have been into catfishing big time for about 3 or 4 years... but I still don't know too much about the spawn. Maybe it has to do with that plus the weird weather. I have heard some people say that farm raised and stocked fish sometimes have different spawn times. It has been at least a month though since the bite has been off... do they really go dormant for that long after/during the spawn? I've heard that flathead sortof go dormant for a long time after the spawn, so I guess it wouldn't be unreasonable for me to assume thats the problem. Its just weird I guess, cause I've never run into this problem in years prior... even in the spring/early summer.

4. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    When I started freshwater fishing as an adult, it took me six months to catch my first fish.

-- Rich

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    In a bit of a slump here too!!! All I catch is channels,I havn't caught a BIG flathead yet. Been trying for a couple months:angry:with just a few bites I'm guessing after the spawn is over I'll probably get what is due to me. So I guess you can say I'm having a slump.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Im in my worst slump ever right now, last catfish caught was a 37 pounder on April 2nd, and Ive been out at least 15 times since then.

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys... I know everybody goes through these stupid slumps. I think the worst part is I don't know why they aren't biting... makes me second guess myself. But it helps to know I'm not the only one (not that I don't want other people catching fish just cause I'm not). Although, Walter... I gotta say that your post made me more jealous (37 pounder) :smile2: haha. I've never caught anything over 8 pounds on rod and reel... I think about 20 on a line. Oh well, my time is coming... and the bite will pick up sometime for all of us. Thanks again for posting.

8. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    Me and my buddies are in a pretty good slump right now too. We fished all weekend and only caught 8 fish and only two of them were even eaters. Everythign we are catching will not even hit the one pond mark. We have tried everything too, what makes it even worse is we know they are out there we see them swirl up at the surface all day long they just wont bite unless they are the small.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i hear you. i am in a heck of a slump right now. i havent caught any in about a month and a half. starting to go crazy. i know they are out there, just not biting right now. i might go this weekend and see what i can do. hopefully the flatties are coming off the spawn and hungry. good luck to you and dont worry, you are not the only one having a hard time right now.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep they are definatly on the spawn their were no fish this weekend a few smaller fish the week before. the spawn seems to be mid-later june till a week or two in july here. so im not going again till july (no point) pre spawn (good fishing) is from mid april till mid june. all the rain weve got helped me fill the freezer and catch some bigger ones. the weekend after the 4th of july till mid october should be pretty good as long as the rains dont stop. so get ready to catch some cats.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    its bad i aint done any good in a few weeks.... but im not givin up yet!!! i think it'll start heatin back up here soon:big_smile:

12. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    in the last month in a half. i have only landed 2 fish i think . my first ever flatty , and a monster 12 pound channel. well monster to me and the area i think . i did have a few big hites using cut sucker last night . but couldn't seem to get a hook set. shrimp is my must have bait . i wont go with out it . and it hasn't produced but 1 fish. i put garlic and salt on old rank shrimp. worked with in 15 minutes. rest of the night nothing but turtels. and they really aint biting either. heck i noticed masqetios aint so bad either this year.