Your best honey hole may be closer than your think

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SubnetZero, Feb 24, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Some of the Best catfishing spots I’ve fished have been private lakes/ponds or
    private access to the sweet spots on a river. There are so many untapped goldmines of farm lakes and ponds holding large fish in quantity that never get touched. Getting access to them may be easier than you think.

Couple of years ago, a long time fishing buddy that had moved out to the “country” invited me down for some fishing. We loaded up and headed to a farmhouse out in the middle of nowhere. On the way there, my buddy was jumping with excitement as he told me how his last trip here yielded him 12-15 nice cats (5-20#) in about 3 hours. I asked how he knew the owner of the Farm, his reply, “I don’t really”. I then asked how then do we get to fish such a killer spot, “I asked” he said.

Turns out, A lot of the farmers with large or multiple bodies of water are happy to get someone fishing their lakes. Most are worried that the lake will get stunted out from lack of harvesting. My buddy was just driving around one weekend, spotted a nice looking lake, stopped and asked the owner if he ever allowed anyone to fish it and the guy couldn’t have been nicer. Not only did he get permission to fish that lake, but also he told him of a few other farmers to look up and he ended up with at least half a dozen prime fishing locations in the area.

If you decide to fish on someone’s property/private lake or area, please keep these in mind though:

1) ALWAYS get permission first!! Trespassing is NOT the way to find fish. If the guy says no, thank him and be on your way. You may even get a few nasty ones that give you a hard time just for asking, just say thanks anyways and leave. You’ll be surprised how many will say yes though.

2) Pack it in, clean it up, and Pack it out. You are a guest on HIS property. Respect it!! If you restring a reel, wad up the string and put it in your pocket, not the ground. Liver tubs, hook packages, cans, etc etc. If it’s a farm, you are standing on the man’s livelihood. You wouldn’t go to your best friends house, smack his wife on the rump, crap on his floor, and kick the dog on the way out would ya.. (if you answer yes to this, quit reading this and head to the “Party Cove” of your nearest largest Lake, you’ll fit right in).

3) Respect his wishes. If he doesn’t want fish taken out of certain size, kind, etc. whatever, then DON’T. If he has a “stay out of the back 40” type area, then stay out. He’s giving you a privilege, not a right. Remember that.

4) If you have a good day and are harvesting the fish, Offer him some Cleaned fillets. I like to do this an appreciation for letting me fish a golden spot. You don’t have to, just I feel if the guy is letting me fish a honey hole, its the least I can do.

You can go on and on about what you should and shouldn’t do, mostly common sense, but those are some of the most basic ones.

I’ve had days where we were pulling in nice cat after nice cat, Bsing with owner, and his wife come out with a full course dinner of homegrown, homestyle cooking that makes your knees buckle its so good. Most these guys are the salt of the earth and a lot of times you leave there feeling a better person just for knowing them. :D

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree it's not always greener on the other side, or 300 miles from home..I have some great fishing water within 4 miles of my house.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Most farmers are friendly folks and down to earth. If you want to take a kid fishing and get them interested in fishing, best thing to do is find a farmer with ponds/lakes on their property and let them know your intentions, and then ask permission to do so on their land. A lot of times, they will come join ya!

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    ya, sometimes they come down and throw a pole in with ya and shoot the breeze..

5. phatcat

phatcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    about 30 minits from the house just insid the oklahoma line is lake hall its a public lake about 35 acres , even has a ramp ,its a nice little place for channelcat and some other i wont mention here............phatcat

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I always do good, at my local creeks and water holes. catch some nice 1 to 2lbers.

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Like CJ said, some of the little creeks that you find around most areas are wonderful fishing opportunities for channel cats and (especially) bullheads. There is one that I fish by my house, no wider than 60 feet in some areas, and in some others it gets down to about 8 feet across. A lot of the water is no more than knee deep, and there is a loooong flat thats only about shin deep that has a lot of minnows. These creeks are great if you are just looking for an afternoon of nice fishing, looking for bait, looking to entertain the kids with some panfish etc... If you want to search for channel cats, I like to use whole chicken livers on a 4/0 gamakatsu octopus circle hook. The liver will squish down so you dont have to worry about the hook gap getting blocked. The circle hooks work great since the bullheads seem to like to swallow the hook too, so it helps not deep-hook them so much.

:0a26: