Your best bet reservoir for a trophy flathead

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bigfish18, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I was just wondering where the biggest reservoir flatheads are in Kansas. I have a lot of luck at Toronto Lake. Thats my pic what is yours?

Thanks
    Cody

2. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Perry produces big flats, also clinton.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I agree with Kendrick, Perry& Clinton and here's a sleeper for Ya Olathe lake!

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Does Lake Olathe really produce flats that big? I've always heard that it does, but it doesnt look like big enough of a lake with any way for the flats to get in there to really produce that well. I could be wrong though. I wouldnt doubt there were small ones, but are there really big ones?

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Brad , you just let the cat out of the bag. :)

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Elk City has produced a big one:rolleyes:

I fish Clinton a bunch and know there are big cats there, but I'm betting there are flattie's in Tuttle that have never seen a baited hook(and probably never will).

I think everyone should go to Elk City, S.E. KS could use the economic help.

Oh ya, what's BIG??? Over 120..............Elk City seems to be the place;)

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    As far as Olathe goes, Geoff told me it was a dink hole!!

Do I get points for trying:p

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Charley, Flatheads in Tuttle ? :crying: Now every one knows . Tuttlecreek is likely the most underfished lake in kansas.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "Do I get points for trying"

Points given :eek:

Pomona has produced some big ones, too. I personally hear about more big flatties coming Clinton, but part of that has to do with being closer to a lake - you hear more about the fish. I've also heard several "big one" stories from La Cygne.

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Dale, you and I both know that KS wind will keep it that way!!

How you doing anyway, read you was off your feed for a while??

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the prop's Gary.

Clinton has been severely over fished.............dink hole I say:cool:

12. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Elk City Lake gets my vote I` hooked some mighty big ones there. The last time it rained I hooked a93lb der in the spill way, & I know there has to be some bigger ones in the lake if you can get them to bite. I caught mine on a 3 lb. carp

13. retired stump jumper

State:
    KANSAS
    The old city lake in Yates Center the one by the golf course used to have some dandies in it when I lived there. A couple of friends & I use to catch them that went in the 90 pound range & my friend Bill caught on that went 105 lbs. So they should still be in there if somebody hasent caught them out.

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Whgen I lived in olathe I caught several 20-30 lb flatheads out of there. Now that was many moons ago, but I'm sure there are a few left.

15. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Elk City Is O.k. But One Place That Has Been Showing Potential Is Big Hill Reservoir. My Dad And One Of His Buddies Were There This Last Summer Doing Their Usual Bass Fishing And Some Guys Rolled Up In A River Boat, Back In The Timber Hill Area. They Went To Several Different Tree Stump Sites And They Were Checking Their Lines. My Dad Said That Almost Every Line Had A Fish On It. They Must Have Had At Least 7 Or 8 Fish By The Time They Had Finished. My Dad Saw Them At The Mound Valley Boat Ramp And The Guys Said They Only Had 1 Large Channel And The Rest Were Flathead. The Smallest Was 19 1/2 Lbs. And The Largest Was Over 50 Lbs.( That Was As High As Their Scale Went). I Thought That Was Pretty Darn Immpressive. I Never Thought About It Before....the Most Pressure That The Lake Gets Is For Bass And Crappie. And There Is A Pretty Decent Creek Channel That Can Be Followed The Entire Length Of The Lake. Maybe An Unseen Gold Mine For Future Trophy Flatheads?

16. retired stump jumper

State:
    KANSAS
    you bet there is good fishing for cats in Big Hill I`ve taken a lot of cats both channel & flats I only live 4 miles from the dam at Big Hill so I do get to fish it quite a bit

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

center 12, you thinking about heading to elk city this summer ? maybe some of usecould get some beer together and kill an eveing down there

18. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Elk city lake sure is pretty. I drive by it all the time and I hardly ever see that many people on the lake. I've only fished it one time and didn't do that well but I didn't spend too much time on the water. There's a little over 5000 acres to that lake and plenty of good fishing spots I would like to try out. Heck it's just about 40 minutes from my house and I'll drag my boat up there if there's interest in some people going down there.

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I sure would like to hit Elk City. See if there is another 120 lb. flat in there. :)

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Somehow I think Charlie was joking - it's hard to ignore that a 120lb'er came out, but the buzz is that it's not that good of a lake for catfish.

That said, count me in :cool: