Your Basic Needs

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SweetSymphony672, Apr 21, 2008.

1. SweetSymphony672

SweetSymphony672 New Member

State:
    England

Okay here's something for you to think about:

If you were stranded on a desert island but you
    could only keep 3 items, what would they be and why?

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Multi tool, hatchet, and flint/magnesium stick.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i luv this game. assuming that this deserted island is in the middle of a bunch of salt water. i would say poncho- to collect sondensation at night for drinking water/and or rain water- also shade. multi-tool would be nice. and something no-one thinks about : a cell phone. the best way to call for help is with a phone. if i couldnt have the phone, i suppose i would take somt rope. the flynt sticks are great for starting fires assuming you have something to burn, but i can do more with a rope or some string. and if i had to have fire for signaling/warmth and i allready had fuel for a fire, i could still do it the old fashioned way.

this is fun, lets hear from some of you ol' timers, or eagle scouts.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Electric car with solar panals
    R/R
    1 million rolls of TP

Hey what can I say Im spoiled :tounge_out::smile2:

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    of course i also wouldnt mind a boat- a fishing rod- and a bikini model.... i mean my wife.

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    In this day and age. A satelite phone to call for help, Macgyver knife to whittle with while I'm waitin, and make useful stuff, and lots of good beer. Cold preferred .

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    1. Henry U.S. Survival rifle
    2. Water filter
    3. ARES disaster bag
    Henry U.S. Survival rifle, gotta have a way to get dinner. And this rifle would do great on feather, fur and scale.

Katadyn Camp Water filter, get some nasty protozoa or bacteria and you'll be lucky to live a week.

ARES disaster bag, Carries quite a bit.
    1. Waterproof Duffle Bag
    2. Yaesu FT-817ND radio HF/VHF/UHF HAM radio
    3. G5RV antenna
    4. Kenwood TH-D7A(G) VHF/UHF HT for APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) and AMSAT
    5. Garmin eTrex Vista, for the APRS.
    6. 2m and 440 EggBeater antennas for AMSAT
    7. Small 12v battery
    8. Solar powered rollable battery charger
    9. 50lb fishing line, 1 spool
    10. 12ga wire, 330'
    11. tarp
    12. rope
    13. poncho
    14. multi-tool
    15. Assorted connectors / adapters including no-solder BNC and UHF for emergency repairs
    16. First Aid Kit
    17. 5 days of MREs
    18. 2-3 changes of clothing
    19. Leather gloves
    20. 2 man XPG Ultralight tent
    21. LED flashlight
    22. LED headlamp
    23. Various odds and ends
    Just like you said, only 3 items to grab.
    The rifle, water filter and the ARES disaster bag is what I would want with me.

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    That's cheating! You can't call for a bag loaded with everything and the kitchen sink!

Baitchunker... You can have a cell phone but I am sure verizon signal won't reach you. No specification for a cell phone provider or batteries. Now you can put a bloody handprint on it and call it Wilson. ;)

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    tom hanks survived and all he had was a soccer ball.:wink: well, id have to say a knife, matches, and my laptop so i can make a post on the BOC to get me the heck outta there.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Barley, hops, and a keg.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmmm. Different environments require different tools to survive in. A knife would certainly be handy in certain situations. Fire and water would be a must. I'd say that a fire would be most important in almost any situation. Water is only second in importance because if it can't be purified, it's usually more dangerous than it's worth...unless you only need to sustain your health for the short term. As for water, would I need some plastic to catch, or condense water more than I would need a container to put it in?

I'm gonna go with a spark striker of some sort, a knife, and a plastic poncho. I'm gonna assume that some sort of refuse from civilization will be found, like a can or plastic bottle or something.:wink:

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    A good knife, a Bear bow, and a fishing arrow!

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My boat, extra cans of fuel, and my dog Bo. I could use the boat to leave that island, and if something goes wrong , I can blame it on Bo. LOL

14. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Knife, plastic, and fishing pole. No phone, pager, work, wife, lawn mower, and no problems.:wink: