Your advice and input on lake maps please !

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KBSJayhawk, Feb 21, 2008.

1. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hi all,

As y'all know, we're doing a lot of lake mapping here in Kansas. Now, I'd like to map the maps we produce as useable to fishermen as possible, in terms of appearance and information and size and so forth.

I'd like to draw upon the collective wisdom of this forum, and have you guys tell me what you need or want on a map of lake depth that you would use for fishing.

I'd like to get some ideas from you now, then we'll generate some example maps and post them online where folks can look at them and offer suggestions and changes to make them as user-friendly as possible.

So here we go: A few questions from me:

1) To show lake depth - are contour lines (like a topographic map) easier to read, or should we use colors to indicate depth (for example, lighter blues for shallow areas, then becoming darker blues as the depth gets deeper) ?

2) Do you use a GPS - and would having a coordinate grid, like latitude/longitude, or UTM grid, printed on the map help in locating an area on the map ?

3) Black-and-white --- or color ?? Or both ?

4) Other information that should be printed on the map ? Creel limits ? Maximum depth ?

5) Does anyone use Google Earth ?

6) If we print hardcopies to send out, should they be laminated for weather-resistance ?

Thanks. These are a few thoughts that came to mind - and I'd appreciate hearing any or all thought and ideas you may have. No, we won't be selling these - my plan is for free distribution.

Mark J. "KBSJayhawk"

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    1) For lake depth, color would be better for me because I've never been good with reading contour lines. Color would also better for quick views.

2) I would say the more the better. I personally dont have GPS as of yet because I aint a fast mover on the technoligy highway. Although, I hope to have GPS soon.

3) Color is always better I would think.

4) The more the merrier I say

5) I recently been toying with Google Earth

6) I'd say laminated would be better. Its probably not just my boat that
    paper gets destroyed easily.

Thank you for asking BOC input.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I like the color coded way versus the old line style.It seems pretty easy to use and looks accurate.I also agree that they should be laminated if possible,always a good idea.Printing creel limits and other lake info isnt a bad idea either as well as the deepest spot.From the ones I have seen they look awesome,but none of them are for the lakes I fish.I use google earth to find roads and access mainly.Thanks!

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I like the ones that youve done that Ive already seen , I would just like them to be bigger, say 10" X 10" would be great , then I could print them off myself and take them with me. Oh yeah Osage SFL , Leavenworth SFL, even Miami SFL would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks Mark.:big_smile:

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Also Mark , is there any way to show big structure in the lake. Like old cars , construction equip. and such , stuff thats probably been in there for years that could be great cover to hold fish?

6. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That stuff doesn't show up too well in the lake maps we produce, since it's usually fairly small; we see it in the data outputs as we're mapping, but it gets recorded as an isolated "blip" in the data stream that we turn into the maps.

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    The last several days I've been thinking about the maps that MapFish talked
    about in his earlier posts. I've got to say that I don't know how GPS grids
    work actually. I know about the theory sort of. It might be a good idea if
    someone in the know might write a basic article for the Member Library on
    using one of those systems Garmin produces. While I was trying to hammer
    that into my temple sideways, I could start to pile up the money to have
    a fist full of interactive maps that was updatable riding in my pocket. I guess
    I should be PMing MapFish about it but I keep thinking that folks would ask
    him to do that over and over again and I'd probably be the one he got
    exasperated at.
    As for what you've asked, KBSJayhawk, one set of answers might be had
    from looking over MapFish's shoulder. They're selling off their laminated maps
    on the site he mentioned and going to data on chips. If you looked through
    a copy of their maps, you'd know what worked for them and you could
    think about what you'd think might work better. Trouble is that blip in
    the data stream is exactly the kind of detail that a fisherman would
    like to have but couldn't get in a map. A matter of scale, I guess.
    Course, what can you expect from a free map anyway?

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The answer to your questions is yes. I would be very interested in whatever you come up with.
    I don't have a GPS yet, but is on my "short list of new toys".
    I have played with Google Earth. Why do you ask.

9. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    If you know the general location of the lake / river you can make maps by downloading and piecing together. I just made one of Long Branch state park in Macon Missouri. The address is http://terraserver-usa.com/ let me know if this map is of quality you want.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    1. I like contour lines. You can tell what the slopes on elevation changes look like. I don't know if you can do that with just color. But I am used to reading contour lines in the military.
    2. Lat/long would be nice. UTM grid is much easier for figuring distance, but i don't think you can plug grid coordinates into most civilian gps units.
    3. I like color
    4. That would be nice.
    5. Yes, it's great.
    6. Yes, laminate.

11. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    1) To show lake depth - use colors to indicate depth

2) Do you use a GPS - latitude/longitude

3) Black-and-white - color

4) Other information ? - whatever would be necessary