youngest marine to be awarded the medal of honor

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by baitchunker, Jun 6, 2008.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    mr. jack lucas of hattiesburg miss. died on thursday. i dont know all of the details, and im no good at computer crap, but i will give yall the jist so you can look it up if you like.

lucas lied on his enlistment forms during world war deuce. he was only 14 when he was shipped off to boot camp. at 17, he jumped on a hand granade at the battle of iwo jima. he saved the lives of his fellow marines in his "fighting hole". he ended up with about 250 pieces of shrapnel throughout his body.

i had the distinct honor of meating one of his close friends not too long ago. actually i have known the guy for a few years, he is my barber. we talked for a long time about mr. lucas' life and what all he has accomplished. the man wasnt just a decorated marine warrior, or a stand up kinda fella, he was an inspiration. the nation has truly lost one of our treasure's.

i ask that yall give him a moment of silence, maybe say a quiet thank you, or poor a sip of your beer on the ground. you could even get crazy and pray. i just didnt want this hero's death to slip through the ranks without a footnote.

and for my fellow marine's active or inactive, why dont you give him a big semper fi to help him charge the pearly gates...

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Thanks for the info, I do recall reading a newspaper article about the youngest Marine ever to be killed. It was during the vietnam war, he had lied about his age, and was killed in Vietnam. I don't recall his awards, but he was a young black marine 15 or 16 years old.

I also recall being told there were no casualties during operation frequent wind. My buddy in 2/4 told me there were two bodies on ice in the reefer on his ship. He was my fireteam leader in A/1/4.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the post. Doesn't really matter which war. A big Semper-fi from here.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Yes that was a great man, prayers sent!

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    not a marine but i will say Thank You to ALL marines & military personnel serving or who have served. We couldnt do what we do, whatever it may be in day to day life, without our armed forces!!!!
    ***********-----------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------
    you get the picture, close enough.....................

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here's a link about young Jack Lucas

He was a true patriot.

baitchunker, thanks for your post.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    hats off to mr lucas and all members, past and present,of the armed forces.