Young shore fisher...wanting to setup boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by triggerhappy, Mar 13, 2006.

1. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    So I can't deny that I was born and raised on ponds and shore-fishing lakes. Grandpa skulled a 12' jon boat in his pond, that's it. BUT he had an old (something like '74) 17' ranger that I've pretty much inherited. It has a newer (still old..I'm gonna guess late 80's) Evinrude 115 that I got up and running last year. To get this thing lake-worthy, (I'm going to school about 20 minutes from KenLake) It needs a trolling motor, anchor, completely rewired and lights. Trailer needs painted and rewired as well.

Are boats of this age worth working on? I don't have alot of money to put into this, but what I do will be done right...granted I won't be using premium parts and doing it mostly myself. The hull is solid, the carpet must be removed...and I won't replace it, probably just put down sometime of light-colored paint/bedliner material. If finished it would be a stripped down skeleton of what it used to be. I wouldn't concern myself with gauges, livewells and fishfinders.

I'm I just asking for a headache? Would I be better off trying to find an old boat that has been kept up w/o a motor?:confused:

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Trigger, I'll tell you right now you've just asked the 54 dollar question and if you knew the answer you'd be rich. Working on old boats is a lot like working on a realationship with a women, some are worth the effort and others aren't, but the problem is that you can't just look at them and tell which is which. Now back to the boat, from reading your post I would say your being realistic about this rehab and you aren't expecting a Bass Masters worthy entry so, I would say, why not fix her up? If you have the motor running which will be the biggest expense you should have and you can always put off some of the stuff until money is more prevelant, so again, I would say go for it. I fixed up an old 14' wood speed boat from the 40's or 50's and did the sanding down and re-fiberglassing. It had a 35hp motor on it that I had worked on by a mechanic and I didn't spend a lot of money but we sure had fun in that boat and I sold it for what I had into it so I didn't lose a thing in the deal. Only thing I would tell you is spend the money on the motor because when it dies, nothing else matters, your done for the day. Things like painting the trailer can wait and the wiring of the trailer lights is just time and very little money. Painting the deck can wait also, I've never seen a fish that cared what the floor it was flopping around on looked like. How about some pictures, before and after and what your plans are for the future for your boat.

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Good way to put it bill. lol. i agree that you should also try and restore it, the worst that could happen is that u get out in the lake and it sinks.. lol J/K man i have faith in ya and i think u can pull it off and it will last you for fishing on lakes and stuff.. :rolleyes:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The first thing I would do with a boat that age is evaluate the transom especially if it has spent time in the weather.
    If the transom breaks, the motor falls off and the boat sinks as the result you are once again bank fishing.
    Atleast at this point you know you have a motor for that boat or another one.

Transom rot will first begin at either the bottom, top, or at any holes drilled in it.
    Probally the easiest test you could do is with a hammer. Tap all over the transom and feel and listen for changes. If you experience any change in pitch or feel I would have it checked by one or several boat garages.
    A more invasive testing can be done with a quarter inch drill bit and careful examination of the shavings coming from the drilled holes.
    Of course then you have a few holes repair if everything is sound.

5. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    I think the transom is good. Kinda made my own test for that:p Had it on the strip-pits pulling kneeboards and tubes at full throttle for a total of about 6 hours. I'm not gonna second guess ranger but when they put a 115 max on that boat they weren't scared to look at the moon. Of course, I'll still get the hammer out when I go home for spring break. Thanks.

I agree about the engine whole heartedly. My buddy really wants me to get this boat up and going (for obvious personal advantage) w/o a trolling motor (cause that's the biggest expense right now) but I keep telling him I'm not about to put in on open water without some type of backup. Along with respecting wakes (a different thread) I've learned this lesson by personal experience...17ft of fiberglass is no joy when you have to swim/push it a quarter mile to the ramp. Even for a pair of 20 year old swimmers lol.
    He also says to not worry about rewiring it:rolleyes:. I'm not electrician but 20 years in a garage and a pair of white hot terminals = somethings wrong, even if its running!!!

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I'd go for it and fix it up. If you have more time than money (like me) it can be very rewarding fixing it up. My broinlaw and I fished alot of years in a old Terry with a 35 on it and caught alot of fish. The thing finally gave out but we kept fizing what broke and kept fishing! Alot of good memories put together with duct tape, bailing twine and wood screws!;)

We had a bad habit of fishing up stream:rolleyes:

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Fix it,you will learn and not be out much.I will buy some more stock in Duct tape. :)

8. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    If the motor and transom are sound, the rest is not to bad. I have done a couple of boats and to me the worst thing is rebuilding a transom.

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    iif you have been pulling skiers and tubs with it i say fix her up.i agree you need to rewire the circuts you will be useing.the electronics take a beating on aany boat after a while. i have seen some good looking boats that had rhino liner instead of carpet in them. the bonus is you dont have to worry about blood and guts messing up your boat. down side is its almost as expensive as carpet .

10. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    I don't want to mess with the carpet at all. Just rip that stuff out. Its not a "smooth" lid design and I would have so many lips to snugg the carpet around it wouldn't even be funny. I liked the idea of rhino-liner but a friend made the good point that a black boat will get very hot. It also has that real rough fiberglass for the interior skeleton (do open boats even have an "interior":rolleyes:) So I'm thinking a grey or tan paint. I don't know what type yet as I have about zero paint knowledge. I'll try to take and post the pics I was asked for earlier soon.

Thanks guys.

11. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    If it floats & runs its already a boat. Make it legel, make it safe and go fishing. Have fun....I inherited a 14' v-bottem with a 9.9 merk, it was safe & legal I caught some of my biggest fish in that boat. You can't beat the price.Go for it.

12. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    You can get Rhinoliner in almost any color you choose so don't let the color hold you back. Good luck on your project and please keep us up to date on your progress.

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I gave my fathers boat to my cousin as I didnt need it. It was built in 65 and it still runs great. Now dad hardly ever used it the last 20 years, but othr than fuel lines it was in great shape. Wiring is usually not a problem unless it had been attacked my mice/ rubbed bare. If you can pull skier and run for 6 hours I would say that you have a great beginning.

As for the trolling motor. What about pawn shops, garage sales, auctions, and dealers. I have seen trade ins whre the trolling motor was taken off because of appearance and they will often sell them at a reduce rate just to be rid of em. I notice you didnt mention paddles. My boats all have paddles in them. I have used them to get to shore and then call for help. I have towed and been towed on the water so that is also an option.

I have sunk boats too and recovered them so they are pretty tough. Remember they were designed for wet often harsh enviroments. Enjoy the gift that seems to be in pretty good shape.

14. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    So here are the pictures I promised a looong time ago. Got the title and other such paper work for easter...which is the proper first step I guess. As you can see, it's about as rough as it can get and still run:sad:

Attached Files:

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Fixer uppers are fun if you enjoy doing that kind of work. IF YOU ARE NOT LIKE ME, and follow a project all the way through to completion, you will have a nice cat boat at a good price. My problem is that I get the major stuff done and then move on to something else before the details are taken care of.

Realizing your weakness is the first step to success in my opinion.

Be prepared to spend some money. Not major dollars, but you will need some cash to get the things you need to complete the job. The worse part is getting something half way done and running out of money and watching it rot faster than you can build it!

Time. Make sure you have the time to do the job, and make sure you are willing to commit that time. Don't count on your buddy to be around after the first couple of work days either. LOL!!

The bad part for me about fixer up projects is that figuring out the time it takes for the major stuff is easy, but figuring out the time for the details is a lot harder.

16. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    WOW, you have the beginnings of a very nice cat boat there! There is nothing hard about wiring a bass/fishing boat, just takes patience, a lot of wire, and a long fishing wire or fish tape to route the wires. If it were me doing it, I would go ahead and wire up everything that the boat has on it as far as gauges. Shouldn't be that hard to do once you get started and can be very helpful. As mentioned before, look at pawn shops for a trolling motor, ebay, bass boat central, there are lots of sources for a good used one. Someone on here may even have one laying around they would donate to your project, pretty good bunch of guys here. Another thing I would add is some electronics, a good used flasher can be bought for around 20 bucks and I bought a pretty decent bottom line fish finder on clearance at walmart last fall for 40 dollars. I like to use the flasher when running cause it gives you constant contact with the bottom and you can keep an eye on your depth, specially when running unfamiliar waters. Lots of room on that baby for rod holders too! Good luck with your project and keep us informed on how it's going, include lots of pics!! Boog

17. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Looks like a decent boat if it floats I would fix it up can't be much unless you want a show boat. Wiring is simple it maybe be easier to start from scratch than trying to figure out all the wiring really depends on what you have now. Good luck

18. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    looks better than the one i fixed up . if carpet is falling apart don't sweat it. User friendly is my motto. I made anchors out of 1/4 inch x 5 inch eyebolts and abag of concrete, 6 inch corrugated plastic pipe weight is about 15 lbs but work great. cost under ten bucks. my first trolling motor was donated by putting up ads in stores and bait shops. good luck. enjoy the work and the fishing . if i can answer question just ask.

19. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Hey thanks guys, I definately planned on the "start-from-scrath" theory for the wiring. Especially since I don't plan to put alot of the extras ( at MOST I'll wire up a tach and altameter)...which many may not consider "extras" at all. Carpet will definately come out. (at least most of it) And as to homemade anchors. Well you can see we've a farming operation that produces all kinds of scrap metal so that taken care of. (And anchors are really about all my wielding skills are worthy of:p)

20. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    geter done, will make a nice boat. old is not all bad . it will fish good. fish dont care . its earth tone now ( wont scare the fish) just get it clean, paint the inside white (helps at night ) add some non skid marine tape to decks add some rod holders have fun :)