young fisherman

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by youngbuck, Feb 15, 2008.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    what baits should i use for bluecats in a lake using circle hooks

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Most are gonna answer shad or skips,This is true ,IF they are the forage in your lake,If they are not present any thing like bluegills ,shiners ,chubs ,carp will work as long as it is in your lake .

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Blues love the skipjack and shad. If you can get some you should catch the blues.

4. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Like they said if shad or our pal skippy our idiginous to the lake then i would fish with those but otherwise go for some baitfish that are in your lake and concentrate on your drops and points in the lake.

5. Baitcutter

Baitcutter New Member

State:
    VA
    Bait that is native to your lake will work best has been my experience.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Fresh cutbait like shad, skipjack or any baitfish should work for you. Just make sure that it is fresh!! good luck fishing!!:big_smile::big_smile:

7. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Try a live minnow. Shad would be another option. Like others ahve said, Use what ever forage that is in the lake you fish.

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Richard nailed it cut shad and skips are the best but it depends on what the most abundent bait fish is in the body of water your fishing.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First of all, keep in mind that any suggestions you get here are just that...suggestions for you to try out on the waters you fish. What works here may not work there, and what works there may not work here. That being said, my experience in using cut bream is that it works well for channel cats, but isn't worth a flip for blues. Blues will hit small live bream, but don't seem to care for them dead & cut up. There's lots of shad on the Arkansas River, and for years and years, all I ever took for bait was plenty of fresh caught shad. Skipjack were good when I was lucky enough to get a couple, but that was a seldom thing. I go 250 miles now each spring to stock up on them. (250 each way!)

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Honestly, just about any cut bait will work. Bream, crappie, striped bass, shad, and skipjack are just a few excellent baits.

Gizzard shad are always a good one to start with, then threadfin shad, and both can be easily netted. Skipjack are another popular bait, though we don't have them in my area.

Bream/bluegll are also another good choice, but make sure it is legal where you fish.

11. shadsides

shadsides New Member

State:
    kansas
    cut the head and tail off any bait fish and use the mid section

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Cut bait, preferably skips or shad.