The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10,798 Posts
Most are gonna answer shad or skips,This is true ,IF they are the forage in your lake,If they are not present any thing like bluegills ,shiners ,chubs ,carp will work as long as it is in your lake .

·
Registered
365 Posts
Like they said if shad or our pal skippy our idiginous to the lake then i would fish with those but otherwise go for some baitfish that are in your lake and concentrate on your drops and points in the lake.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Most are gonna answer shad or skips,This is true ,IF they are the forage in your lake,If they are not present any thing like bluegills ,shiners ,chubs ,carp will work as long as it is in your lake .
Richard nailed it cut shad and skips are the best but it depends on what the most abundent bait fish is in the body of water your fishing.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
First of all, keep in mind that any suggestions you get here are just that...suggestions for you to try out on the waters you fish. What works here may not work there, and what works there may not work here. That being said, my experience in using cut bream is that it works well for channel cats, but isn't worth a flip for blues. Blues will hit small live bream, but don't seem to care for them dead & cut up. There's lots of shad on the Arkansas River, and for years and years, all I ever took for bait was plenty of fresh caught shad. Skipjack were good when I was lucky enough to get a couple, but that was a seldom thing. I go 250 miles now each spring to stock up on them. (250 each way!)

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Honestly, just about any cut bait will work. Bream, crappie, striped bass, shad, and skipjack are just a few excellent baits.

Gizzard shad are always a good one to start with, then threadfin shad, and both can be easily netted. Skipjack are another popular bait, though we don't have them in my area.

Bream/bluegll are also another good choice, but make sure it is legal where you fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts