Youghiogheny

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by PaCatfishHunter, Oct 6, 2008.

1. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I should be heading out to the Pittsburgh area this weekend to visit family and was going to hit the youghiogheny. Where would be a good place to go after some channel cats. I know of a couple of good spots around West Newton but may try a couple of other spots. Has anyone fish the yough for channel of late and were they biting?

2. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I fished the Yough for channels from Connellsville down to Dawson. Lots of small ones,right now the Yough is low and clear[not good].Checkup with Bw69R[Brian] he's from the West Newton area. The Yough in the areas I fished were strictly chicken liver bites. Good Luck!

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    James, hit the stretch of river between west newton and sutersville. you could also fish down around the sutersville bridge as there are some big channel cats there. if you are on the stretch between sutersville and west newton look across the river and you will see a somewhat clear spot (mostly weeds and no trees) it is about 20-30 yards wide, they put in some phone cables from one side to the other and below where they laid the cable it formed a hole that runs from there almost to where sewickley creek runs into the river. the hole is about 11 feet deep and the cats pile up in there this time of year. fish the west newton side. as for baits get some shiners and let them croak and get a little bloat in there belly, the channels gobble them up. also try raw chicken tenders it stays on better than livers and the cats love'em.

4. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA