Youghiogheny River

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by zeboman, Mar 16, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Channels and bullheads can readily be taken on this river but flatheads don`t seem to be caught much further than a mile or two from where it meets the MON. I can`t figure that one out.

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Do any of you guys fish for musky on the Yough ? I have seen some real monsters taken from this river.

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    dan, the yough river is about 100 yards from my house. and there are some really big muskies in here. they get nice and fat on all the trout the local sportsmans clubs stock. one of the best places is above cedar creek park . i only had chance to go out once for them last year but i hope to get out more this year.

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You`re right about the big musky and the trout fishing is excellent.Do you ever catch any big cats on the Yough ?The biggest I`ve seen was a twenty lb. flathead caught down around McKeesport on a shiner and what`s the deal with the blue cats that were supposedly stocked in the river,I have never seen one of them caught.

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Dan the biggest catfish that i have seen taken was a 12 pound channel cat that my cousin, a friend of mine, and myself all caught. we fished up in a small creek three days in a row and we all caught the same fish on different days in different spots. it was the same fish as it had a dark spot on one side and a mark on its tail. those "alabama blues" they stock usually get caught and taken to the frying pan by guys before the middle of summer. i try to tell these folks to let them go so they get bigger but they want to take them home to eat. but i think the bigger problem is that people want to take them home to show off their catch to family and friends. i have nothing against people who want to keep a few smaller fish to eat but i have seen people clean a hole out of catfish that were from 5-10 pounds (and i am talking like 12-22 catfish) and then hear them complain that they aren't doing any good for the rest of the year. i say take a picture and let them go. if you want some to eat keep some smaller ones. by the way early last year i was fishing the creek mentioned earlier and caught a 17 inch flathead on a crawler. thats the first one i have ever seen or heard of this far up in the yough ( between west newton and sutersville) i hope that is a sign of things to come. unless of course somebody ends up eating them.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  7. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Brian ,catching flatheads that far up river is a good sign.

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i hope it is a good sign. it would be nice to have some flatties close to home.

9. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Flatheads in the Yough will grow big and fat on all those trout they stock up there that`s for sure.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Next time the river is high and muddy, I would fish were the Yough dumps into the Monogahela.

11. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Blacky, most of the time we catch more channels than flats there for some reason,the water isn`t fast or very deep either maybe 12 feet or so.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    12 feet is average for our river.

13. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    thanks for the help

14. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Anyone been trying to fish the Yough? Seems to be it's been like everywhere else around here:DEAD?

15. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA

Dangit Tan stop giving away my honey hole ! :wink:

16. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    the river has come up a little bit but basically its where it normally is this time of year. its raining now so we'll see what it does.

17. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Shawn I know you have got nice fish in that spot. But I made it a point not to fish there at all this year. I couldnt catch a cold there. Might give it a ty next year.:wink: