youghiogeny river

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by stoney53, Jul 4, 2009.

1. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    anyone fishin the yough river?,any luck with anything? myself been skunked the last 2 times out

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    post been here for 5 days now , no one must fish the yough river lol

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i do Frank but with my surgery can't get out. i only live 100 yards from the river and usually spend as much time as i can on it. wish there were some flatheads in there so i could save some gas driving to the mon to fish for them. lots of other nice fish in the yough if you know where to look. some really big muskies up around cedar creek but hardly any one fishes for them. nice smallmouths in the river as well but would be more if people didn't keep them and eat them. there are some nice sauger and some really big walleyes but you have to know where to fish and no one really fishes them at all.

4. rijkmus

rijkmus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I talked to these two men who had Cat gear who said they only fish with live bait because you catch too many channels and are targeting the large Flats who stated they got a 46 pound flat last year and a 36 pound channel at the mouth in Mckeesport. He also knew and stated both fish were 2 lbs off the record.

I was going to try there but have not as of yet.

5. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yep know who that guy is think he goes by Nack on here but havent heard from him in a while. As for fishing the yough I went to connesliville today Caught some real nice rock bass and a huge sucker I also caught a nice walleye around 4 pounds you never know what you will catch in the Yough.

6. rijkmus

rijkmus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Not on the Yough yet Hogs while I know how to get where they were. This was a few weeks ago when the hit died off. I guess they were in search as we met below Elizabeth. And if I had the success they had at the location they told me I would be hitting it hard.

I moved on to the Ohio last night all the hours on the Mon were not producing while we do fish from shore and locations are limited. As I said before I work on the Railroad and do know how to get to alot of spots. And we did try a lot. With out much success.

While we may have had a fluke night on the Ohio last night we caught more weight than the last Month on the Mon.

7. Les101

Les101 Guest

Well went catfishing on the Yough and could only catch Pike. Got 5 all together. This is the biggest one 31". They were tearing up cut Brown Trout. I go Pike fishing and catch catfish any other time.:confused2:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
  8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    nice pike Les. where did you get them? if you want some bigger ones try live suckers or some of the bigger paddle tail swimbaits in white. big spinners also work as well.

9. Les101

Les101 Guest

Caught them in the Dawson area. I usually do use the big paddle tail baits and spinners when I fish for pike. Only had my cat bag with me.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    never fished it for cats but i went to school at WVU and when i saw the yaugh on here i had to look in.....its a great place to fish i fished it all 6 years i went to college and did well almost every time.... good luck great stream

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Les there a lot of pike in little sewickley creek where it runs into the yough between west newton and sutersville. if you follow it backwards towards lowber and wade it or fish from bank with rapalas you'll get some. a few years ago the creek flooded really bad and alot of those pike got washed into the river and they are very catchable and in good numbers from below the west newton bridge to where the creek comes into the river.

12. gaptooth monster

gaptooth monster New Member

State:
    Pa
    IN BOSTON WAS FISHING SUNDAY NIGHT CAUGHT A FEW CATS BIGGEST ONE ABOUT FIVE POUNDS ,i FISH THE YOUGH A LOT AND NEVER CAUGHT A FLATTY HERE.MY OLD STOMPIN GROUNDS GET VISITED WHEN I GET SOME BIG CHUBS <I STILL LOVE THE MON. I THOUGHT BEING SO CLOSE TO THE MON I WOULD EVENTUALLY CATCH ONE ,HAS ANYONE EVER GOT ONE ON THE YOUGH?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  13. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I fly fished right next to this river at OHIO PYLE last year for trout.. Prob going back up to ohio pyle august 17th to try for some cats... Anyone know any good spots around that area?? I have a few in mind but considering im driving 5 hours to get there and not staying over night i dont wanna be scouting my whole time there hahaha. :eek:oooh:

14. Les101

Les101 Guest

Ohiopyle and south to South Connellsville have no or very few cats, stick with Trout when fishing that stretch. The cats mostly seem to be from Dawson north to where it enters the Mon. Hope that helps on what tackle and bait to bring.

15. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    havent fished the Yough in a few years but me an a buddy cought a flatty in little boston 3 years ago about 15 lbs last 1 i can rember .. wasnt by the baseball field was about 1/2 mile down stream .. not a bad walk small area where the river thins and flows into a pool

16. pleva

pleva New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    My friend and I were fishing the yough at rivers edge campground using nightcrawlers. Between us we caught a sucker, a channel cat, a drum and two smallmouth bass. It was a great day. :smile2:

17. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks.. Soo ill just stick with fly fishing there then haha.