You won't believe this bait - Catfish Eats Basketball

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by micus, Nov 17, 2005.

1. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    A Fish Story
    This was a pretty interesting story from The Sunday Wichita Eagle Newspaper a couple of weeks ago. A resident in the area saw a ball bouncing around kind of strange in a nearby pond and went to investigate. It turned out to be a flathead catfish who had obviously tried to swallow a child's basketball which became stuck in its mouth!!

The fish was totally exhausted from trying to dive, but unable to because the ball would always bring him back up to the surface. The resident tried numerous times to get the ball out, but was unsuccessful. He finally had his wife cut the ball in order to deflate it and release the hungry catfish.

You probably wouldn't have believed this, if you hadn't seen the following pictures...

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    thats pretty old article i think it is 5 or 6 yrs old

dusty

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is a neat picture, I did see if over a year ago floating around the internet.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have not seen that before, this is new to me. thanks for posting. :D

5. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Is it safe to say, "Catfish will eat anything?"

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You're right, I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it....LOL :D

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    One of our local bait shops had that on there web site.
    I guess he thought he was gonna try to be Flipper.... :cat:

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    It was something my cousin just sent me. Figured it would be good for a chuckle or two. :D

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know if it really happened or not. The photo has been around for quite a while, and I have read some posts that say someone stuck the basketball into the fish's mouth, turned it loose, and took the pictures. As I said, I don't know the truth about it.

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    well that makes me feel so much better because i cant catch a fish even using normal bait but they bite on everything right! but being serious ive found some pretty weird things in fish stomachs, i pulled out a AA battery out of a trout, a shoe lace out of a channel catfish and a pen out of a bass just to name a few.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I seen that one before as well a while back. Its amazing though to see a cat eat a ball. Must have been really hungry. LOL.

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    theres also a video out there somewhere of a big yellow with a regulation size basketball in his mouth.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I too have heard of the pic & the story's legitamacy. Theres juts a lot of things hard to beleive about it. But like I said I've been hearing that for several years, I guess we'll never know for sure. :glare:

14. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Those things get around quite a bit. I saw that picture last year at Lake Fork in Texas when we went down for an ACATS tournament. I just saved a copy of it to show my brother.

15. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Merry Christmass ; reminds me of this story I heard loonnnggg time ago about this two Jews that walked into a restaurant and this one fellow there walks up and asks them if they are Jews. :mad:
    When one of the two replied that they were; this ole boy punched his lights out and said "You guys killed Jesus"! :cursing: The other Jew said "yes" but that was 2000 years ago, :crying: the guy what attacked the one Jew said "yeah, well I just found out today!! :eek:

I saw the story about the flathead but it is always good to see again..
    No offense intended towards our Jew population.

16. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    Sure beats juggin for em

17. jcozee1

jcozee1 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I've heard of that before. I have found some weird things in a fish's stomach too. Once I cut a popped ballon out of a trout.