You said catch a big one - 12/6/09 PB blue

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish_Rob, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    So you guys told me to go out and catch a big one. Here is my report. Sundays, one of my favorite things to do is fish while listening to bengals game. I was pumped we won. Anyway, I kept getting these little bites today. I figure it was carp or something, but nothing was taking the line. It got dark and I was thinking about leaving, but I decided since I had a nice fire going I would stay a while. Anyway, I am sitting there enjoying the night and my surf rod takes a bend. I fought the fish for about 6 minutes in the current, which was tough. I brought it in and it was a new PB 20 lb blue catfish. It isn't hard to have a new PB when you previous was only 4lb's, but those of you who keep up with the forum know I just started fishing for blues. I wish I had a picture for you guys but I forgot my camera tonight. I got it on my cell phone though haha. For those of you wondering, 45 feet with raw chicken breast. I am pumped. Next time I will have the camera.

Catfish_Rob

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    WTG. Wasn't nearly as cold after you got him on the banks as it was before:smile2:

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Way to go, congrats. Now go get a bigger one, lol.

4. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Good job.

5. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Congrats on your new PB thats Sweet dude:wink: And remember ALWAYS take the camera :smile2::smile2: I know you would have loved to had some good pics of your New PB besides to show off to all us crazy catters lol But just think how sick you woulda been if it was a big 50# hawg or something and no camera, by the time you drug him home or somewhere to get pics he'd be half dead before you could get him back to the water:eek:oooh: Throwing the digital camera in my tackle bag is almost as important as bringing my poles for me lol You never know what ur gonna catch. Again CONGRATS though man, sweet fish.

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    congrats on ur pb nice fish

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    WTG. Congrats Rob on the new PB Blue.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rob lying is no way to make friends around here....LMAO!!!!:wink::smile2::smile2:....Just joking bud, good for you I am glad you caught a biggun...Just curious though, how are you gauging the depth of the water? You said you were fishing 45 ft, would love to how you can tell, I just may learn something, which in itself is a miracle since I aint the smartest guy around...:smile2::eek:oooh:

9. brotherknothead

brotherknothead New Member

State:
    Ft Campbell, KY
    Congrats man on the PB.

10. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good job, at least you are persistent.

11. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I gauge the depth using a guesstimation method I came up with. Basically you just do some simple math in your head. I am sure there is a better way to determine how much line comes out of your reel. I just make a quick guess at that, say 65 ft. Then draw an imaginary line straight down from the top of your rod and guess the angle. Say 50 degrees. Then Just do the math. Your line out is your hypotenuse. Your depth is the adjacent side. So here it is. Also remember that there is going to be some flux in your line length because of the distance swept by the current. So just subtract a little. I use this method for a quick estimation of the depth. I guess you could mark your line and use a protractor if you wanted to be really precise. I could probably come up with a differential equation for the distance lost due to line curvature. Anyway take a look.

Attached Files:

12. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    First off congrats on your new PB Cat, like the man said I have to do a check for my camera before I leave home. I would be devistated to catch a PB and have no proof. No matter how many big ones I catch my friends still never believe me unless they see pics, which is weird because they sure dont complain when they're with me and I catch them :confused2: lol go figure :smile2::eek:oooh::angry:

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the big fish man! :big_smile: rollo

14. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    now begins the never ending pursuit of upgrades. its becomes an obssesion. congrats my brother.

15. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Do you work for roger penske or somethin?? There ain't nobody on here that knows what a hypotenuse is...:smile2::smile2: I am however impressed with your theory ! I'd say +/- 50 % on that. Maybe you can catch a boater there someday and ask what the depth is? Actually I guess it really dosn't matter what the depth is if your catching 20 lb. fish now does it !! Congrats on the fish and don't take any of my teasing the wrong way !

16. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    hypota who??? LOL:smile2:

17. fishin' addict

fishin' addict New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great job man.