You northerners know about this place?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by vini, Jun 23, 2006.

1. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
  2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like a cool place to stop and eat. Alot of animals in there. Thanks for sharing. Would be a road trip from Ohio for sure. LMAO

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Interesting and very close by! I do hope those animals wernt just destroyed to be a trophy! :sad2:

4. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Foster's Bighorn was established in Rio Vista in 1931 by the late William (Bill) Foster. He bought his bar and cafe to start his life over. Bill was a "bootlegger" from Alameda and was "on the run" from an Assistant District Attorney named Earl Warren. Bill changed his last name from Frates to Foster to begin his fresh start. Some years after prohibition, Bill went legitimate in the liquor business.

The Bighorn was designed to be a trophy haven where the public could view the animals of the world. People have responded -- in numbers undreamed of by Foster -- by coming from all over the world to see this famous collection.

Bill's interest in big game stems from the time when Foster, born in Hayward, CA,worked as an apprentice in a foundry at Newark, CA, under Henry Snow, the first African hunter to bring movies of African wildlife to the United States in 1918.

Bill's first big game safari to Africa in 1928 was his first of eight. In between his African trips he made ten trips to Canada and Alaska. The pictures on the wall tell the story of a lifetime of commitment to the preservation of a world no longer available to us. Bill was as devoted to the picture taking as he was to the taxidermy. The labeled pictures typed by Bill tell the story of the people he met, the geography he traveled, and the exotic and familiar animals he brought back.

The Bighorn now has one of the world's most remarkable collections of wild game trophies, including the heads of more than 300 wild animals, birds and fish from every part of the globe. One of the few mounted heads of a full-grown African elephant in existence is in the collection. This trophy measures 13 feet from the base to the tip of the trunk. The tusks, weighing 110 pounds each, are five feet long. They are mounted on the wall below the elephant head. The elephant head, the largest mammal trophy in the collection, was hung in 1952.

Another rare specimen is the mounted head of a giraffe, one of less than a dozen like it in world. There is a moose that Foster claimed was the largest in the world (at that time), with an antler spread of 76 inches.

There are more than a dozen different varieties of deer and antelope, a hippopotamus, a rhinoceros, lion, bear and Cape buffalo.

Bill Foster retired in 1953 from big game hunting and finally went to work in the bar that supported him so well for 22 years. He passed on in 1963 and his wife 12 years later, leaving no family. The collection stands as a monument to Bill Foster's lifelong interest in wild game.
    The Bighorn is now owned by Howard Lamothe and is run with the same policy asin the past, featuring the best in food and good drinks -- truly one of the showplaces of the West.

Heres the webpage I did'nt realize they had one till this morning

http://www.fostersbighorn.com/history.html

5. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    On the website theres a button " panoramic view" check that out.

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Been there quite a few times Vini it is well worth the ride over to rio vista.

7. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I'm DYING for that prime rib they have Mutt.

It's been about 8 years since I was there they had great food remember it well spent 3 days in rio vista hunting down a boat hull thief.

I don't particularly like big game hunting or hunting anything really just for the killing of it and to show off a trophy but I know guys enjoy doing it so thats there thing I have a hard time killing a fish LOL

8. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Not a problem for you recently. :big_smile:
    Just kidding, you are due for a big stringer. Me too I hope.

Get those Craig's List senioritas off your mind and concentrate on fishing. Barbels, not bar belles
    :big_smile:

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Very interesting . thanks for the post.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    LOL!!!! You got that right capt! :big_smile: :lol: :big_smile: :lol: :big_smile:

11. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno

I would accept a bar Belle about now since i got bloo bwalls:lol:

12. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Last fish I kilt was some tuna steaks from trader joes Uhmm Uhmmmmm

13. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Wow, what a collection. saw a smaller collection at the museum club in flagstaff ariz. a few years back and a nice collection at a flea market in verona (outside stanton) Vir. sure wish I had a chance to get a few trophies like that!!!
    :0a31: