You never know

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Nov 28, 2006.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Still no cats for me, I was driving out to the aqua duct today and as I going past Lake Elizabeth I noticed a few people fishing so I naturally stopped to talk a minute and see how the bite was going. There were a few fish being caught, so I said to myself "Myself, you know you ain't gonna pass a hole where they're getting fish for one you don't know are you". Of course the answer I gave myself was "no way", so I decided to sink a line. I baited up one line with some Catmando beef liver I had and put it out. Then rigged up another pole with some turbo power bait and put it out. Well, right away I got bit on the PB and of course 'cause I wasn't paying attention I missed it. pulled the line in and re baited cast out again and BANG right away bit again, the bite continued at a brisk pace for about four hours. I ended up with eight rainbow trout between 1/2 lb and 1 lb but all during that trout bite I didn't get so much as a nibble on the Catmando. Maybe I'll make it to the aqua duct another day.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like a trout dinner is happening soon, MMmMMmmmMmm Good

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom,

What part of the a-duct were you heading for?

Been years since I have fished the Lake. Did as well for trout... I wasn't fishing for cats then.... Live bait mite "catch em" if they are there!

bayrunner ray

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Munz Ranch road crossing. Do you suggest another area? If so I'd like to hear about it as I am not familiar with the duct.

5. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Just wanted to say welcome to the BOC. It is nice to see moe people from California around here.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC, it's a great place to be!:big_smile:

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I agree David:smile2: More california info and more brothers to meet:big_smile:

8. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Tom... I dont know where that crossing is? An old teacher friend of mine has a brother in Palmdale and fishes the aduct often for big striper/cats

When your heading out of town... stop a Pyramid lake... fish the water that flows into the lake...you don't have to get onto the lake it self, just past the check in booth. I stopped there in June back a year ago and picked up a real nice cat as the water was flowing in.

Quail lake is up the road before Gorman on hwy 138. In this part of the aduct area there are stripers and maybe some cats to boot. I have used my bicycle to go on the road 1/2 mile to the inlet area, but now... with my bum knees, I'd just fish close to the car park area... pm me if you want more info....

bayrunner ray

9. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks Ray. Munz ranch road is at the town of Lake Isabella.
    I have fished at Quail lake a few times lately and I know how it is with trying to get around the lake there, I've had a hip replaced a few months ago so I just fish by the parking area also, the problem with that is I don't trust myself to walk on the rocks so I fish in the lake body and right at the outlet from the lake. I'd like to get around by the inlet as I here that is the best for strippers.
    The water from Quail is on a side feeder of the aqueduct and feeds the generator at Pyramid lake there by the old check in booth, so fishing the inlet is the same water as Quail. But I think there is more water coming in from the duct also. The turbines tend to kill some of the fish that pass through them and that, of course, attracts the strippers and cats into the inlet area.
    As far as Casitas is conserned, I'll keep fishing it as it's only an hours drive away. I hope to learn the lake but it takes time and beig shore bound I'm limited to the areas I can fish there. At least until I can sell my my big boat and get a smaller one to use on the lakes.

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Tom Her is a pic of Lake Isabella ( I hope)

lets see what happens

bayrunner ray

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Tom,

Last time with this post.. Dont know how else to check it out.

ray