You need to be catching skips!!!

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by dankitch, Aug 14, 2007.

1. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Right now the skips are thick in the Ohio and Green rivers here. They can be caught from a boat or the bank. Anyone around here needs to be stocking up for the winter. It gets kind of expensive driving to the steam plant in Tenn. just for bait. The skips are at the Spottsville dam real thick now. I have been there the last 2 days and caught quite a bit. If you are in this area you need to stock up. Don't come crying to me this winter when you have no bait to fish with. I told you about it. I'll be working the next 2 days but Friday I will be going back out to catch some more. If anyone wants to tag along let me know. You will be more than welcome to go.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how do you catch yours ? net them or fly rig?

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I can tag along on Friday, let me know when

4. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    The size they are right now I use a fly rig. Size 8 to be exact. And Walt, Give me a call Friday aroung 12:00 or so and we can make plans to head out later that afternoon.

5. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Dan and I went to Spottsville dam yesterday evening and caught over 600 of these Skipjacks in about 2 hours. We were using sabiki rigs (fly rigs), with about 7-8 flys. A bad cast only produced 2 skipjacks a throw. Most every cast was at least 4-7 each throw.

Attached Files:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Wow,thats a heck of a load!!! Their running at the greenup dam now but i've been unable to get there to get them. Congrats on getting stocked up for hard times!!! :big_smile:

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    What kind of Sabiki rigs do you use Walter? I have tried 4 different kinds and all I do is stay tangled up and the rare occaision that I do get a hookup thye don't make it to the boat. More than 5 skips per minute is GOOD!

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Do you have a small weight attached to the bottom of your sabiki rig? Also, try applying some pressure to the line just before the rig hits the water; that will help straighten it out before it hits. IMO, a sabiki rig is great for the small skippies shown in the pics above, but when they are averaging almost 2# each, a couple is all I want on my line at once. Then I use two crappie jigs tied in tandem.

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like was mentioned earlier, Sabiki rigs are nice when there running small, buttttttt those BIG skips are tough on Sabiki rigs! I go to 1 or 2 crappie jigs tied on my line about 1ft apart and its all that you can do to get them reeled in and not break 10 or 12lb test line! It sure is fun!!!!!!:big_smile:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The only way I'll use 10# mono below Pickwick is to only have one jig. Two skippies on at once break the line too often. Instead, I use 20# braided (6# diameter) with a mono leader. I wasn't too sure about using braided on a spinning reel, but it works great.

11. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    They are one of the smaller rigs made by Mustad, these skipjacks were small and a lot came off but most stayed on when reeled in fast. Even when the wings came off the flies, they would still hit the bare hooks.