You may have used this bait but...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catman529, Oct 10, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I harvest shiners w/ my cast net. They are 4-5 inches long and have blunt noses and lots of foul green guts. Great live for channels, bass, gar and drum. Live or dead. Cats will readily take a head dripping with those green guts.

2. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I think you're talking about gizzard shad. That's my #1 bait and all I really use!! I like the ones about 8 inches long!! I'll cut them up in 1 in cubes and hook'm on!! The ones that are 3 to 4 inches get cut in half and hooked! WORKS WHEN NOTHING ELSE WILL!!:cool2::cool2::cool2:

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Actually, no, but I have caugh a couple good gizzard shad in the Harpeth. They worked on Old Hickory Lake when I caught them there. The bait I use here are some sort of minnow or redhorse. their bodies are far to sleek to be shad. Thanks for the tip anyway.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nice avatar. You really are a catman. I hope the wizard changes you back. LOL!

5. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Here's some we caught on the Pearl River tonight!
    [​IMG]:big_smile:

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I must be doing something wrong. I have never seen a shad that big. The biggest one I have ever seen was about 8 inches long. I take yall are fishing for those and not cast netting.

7. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    We caught them with a 6 foot throw net in the Rez (Pearl River)!! We can legally caught them in that body of water! I think the biggest we caught has been around 13 in. We were catching them in 8 foot water with no structure underneath at night with a qbeam shinning in the water!! They're attracted to light. Sometimes they'll jump in the boat with us!! Last night was a trip for this weekends jugg'n trip and another up to Tunica to fish the MS river.:cool2: